After turning what could have and should have been an exciting pairing (Plant/Krause) into a snoozefest I don't trust T-Bone Burnette. Neil Young, one of my all time favorites, is dangerously close to being washed up, too.

Leon Russel and Mark Ribot, however, make this something to look forward to. Hopefully they can give Neil (and Elton) the kick in the pants that he needs.

Recently watched the Goodbye Yellow Brick Road Classic Albums dvd. Another fantastic installment in one of the best music video series ever.

After turning what could have and should have been an exciting pairing (Plant/Krause) into a snoozefest I don't trust T-Bone Burnette. Neil Young, one of my all time favorites, is dangerously close to being washed up, too.

Leon Russel and Mark Ribot, however, make this something to look forward to. Hopefully they can give Neil (and Elton) the kick in the pants that he needs.

Recently watched the Goodbye Yellow Brick Road Classic Albums dvd. Another fantastic installment in one of the best music video series ever.

I think T-Bone Burnett is doing the new Plant solo album also. I have a feeling that is why he is being called upon now, to try and get the artists he works with big sales like the Plant/Krause album. I recall reading a while back that Elton said he was not going to make albums anymore, as his last one only sold a couple hundred thousand.

Of course, he will never match what he did in the 1970s. When people go to one of his shows, they want to hear the oldies, not some new songs that they do not know.

My dad is a huge Elton John fan and as a matter of fact he's actually going to see Leon Russell tonight at Tupelo's (about 10 minutes from where we live) in Londonderry, NH.

My dad tells me that James Cameron filmed Elton & Leon's studio sessions for a forthcoming "something".

My dad is a huge Elton John fan and as a matter of fact he's actually going to see Leon Russell tonight at Tupelo's (about 10 minutes from where we live) in Londonderry, NH.

My dad tells me that James Cameron filmed Elton & Leon's studio sessions for a forthcoming "something".

It has to be a making of... the album, something for EPK use, a documentary, or music videos.

Unless they have suddenly become movie stars.

tumbleweed, madman across the water, and honky chateau are flawless... my favs off of tumbleweed has always been amoreena and where to now st peter. razor face, rotten peaches, all the nasties off of madman are life long favs as well. mellow, i think i'm gonna kill myself, plus mona lisa and mad hatters rank the highest in my opinion off of Honky Chateau. 11/17/70 and Rare Masters are both incredible releases as well. always been a fan of the captain fantastic release and have loved the title track... blue moves is on my ipod as well. there are some great tunes hidden in there. i have heard every record (even the brutal Victim of Love) and never cared for much after Blue Moves (alas a few tracks off of too low for zero), but Songs from the West Coast is terrific.

Self titled, "Elton John" (1970) through "Honky Chateau" (1972) were the best of times. And "Tumbleweed Connection" is the best - by far.

"Rocket Man" -- drugs? homesexuality? stardom? What a great song.

"And I'm gonna be high, as a kite by then."

• 3 months later...

Elton John, Leon Russell, T-Bone Burnett in "Union" for October 19 Album

British pop icon Elton John and legendary American singer and songwriter Leon Russell have wrapped up a new album The Union together with producer T-Bone Burnett for an October 19 street date via Decca. In what appears to be one of the more interesting albums of the year, the duo perform all new songs written by John and long-standing lyricist Bernie Taupin in a variety of "organic" styles.

According to Taupin's website, "the trio has cut fifteen songs ranging from Stones-like rockers, country tinged ballads, gospel and even a Sinatra like weepy similar to something torn from the grooves of 'In the Wee Small Hours'. As reported before it's varied in scope and drenched in a rich tapestry of atmospherics. Don't expect to hear the old EJ/BT sound; this is organic recording unlike anything you've heard from our duo before."

Adding to the new sound with Burnett are drummers Jim Keltner and Jay Bellerose, bassist Dennis Crouch, guitar virtuoso Marc Ribot and additional keyboardist and tech wizard Keefus Ciancia. The release of The Union marks a 40th anniversary of John and Russell touring together in 1970.

I did not know that Decca Records still existed - I thought they became MCA Records, and then whoever bought MCA.

Flashback!!!!

LouieB

The good kind of flashback. Always a welcome thing.

Consistency of opinion is an admirable trait.

I've really neglected Elton. I've heard most of his early records. Actually, I used to own most of them, but I don't think I have anything but his greatest hits album anymore. I'm going to have to make a point of listening to him more. I could probably find most of his stuff in the dollar bins.

My dad keeps telling me that Elton & Leon are going to have a tour in the fall. It's going to celebrate Elton's 40 year anniversary of 1st playing in America at the Troubador and also 11-17-70. I guess Leon Russell was at the Troubador show in the front row.

He's not sure how big the venues will be, but I'm guessing medium sized.

Elton John Band Featuring John Lennon And The Muscle Shoals Horns Recorded live at Madison Square Garden, New York on 28th November 1974. Features John Lennon on vocals and rhythm guitar on Whatever Gets You Through The Night, Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds and I Saw Her Standing There.

1. Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding 10:53

2. Rocket Man 4:45

3. Benny And The Jets 5:50

4. Take Me To The Pilot 5:33

5. Whatever Gets You Through The Night 4:25

6. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds 6:15

7. I Saw Her Standing There 3:37

John-Lennon-Elton-John-Band-F-474747.jpg

This is probably a bootleg version. That whole set (and much more) can be found on the remaster of Here and There. I believe the remaster contains an entire show in the U.K. plus that entire MSG show, not just the parts where Lennon joined the band onstage.

For those looking for additional unreleased live Elton material, if you google "Elton John stuff" you will quickly find a Spanish blog that has a lot of shows that can be downloaded in mp3 format...not that we EVER encourage that here, but ... I'm just saying. :lol

Another article:

Elton John Teams With Leon Russell For 'Mature' New Album

Elton John says his forthcoming collaboration with legendary singer, songwriter and sideman Leon Russell marks a new chapter in his recording career, saying: "I don't have to make pop records any more."

Speaking at the launch of the album at the Electric Cinema in West London last night (July 5), John said: "I thought, 'The world isn't screaming for another Elton John record and I'm not screaming for it either unless it's going to be different. In the '70s, '80s and '90s, the record companies always said we had to have a single and I think I fulfilled my brief. But at 63, the singles chart isn't one I'm going to be in very often. To me now, it's all about writing albums and trying to be mature."

John recruited Russell for the album, aptly entitled "The Union," after rediscovering Russell's music 40 years after they toured the United States together. Russell was a big name in the 1960s and 1970s, playing keyboards for the likes of Phil Spector and the Beach Boys, making solo records and writing songs including "A Song for You," "This Masquerade" and "Delta Lady." But he largely fell off the radar in the late 1970s and has suffered from poor health in recent years, although he kept touring.

John described Russell as his "idol" and working with him as a "humbling and moving experience." He hopes the exposure from the album will bring new attention to Russell's solo output.

"There's no point doing this record if it doesn't bring his work to light," said John. "I want him to be comfortable financially. I want his life to improve a little."

John and Russell worked with John's long-time songwriting partner Bernie Taupin and producer T Bone Burnett on the collaborative project, which also features guest appearances from the likes of Neil Young and Brian Wilson. Journalists at the launch also heard a playback of the 16-track album, which has a rootsy, almost gospel sound, and was recorded live, with most tracks done "in one or two takes."

In an entertaining Q&A session hosted by U.K.-based broadcaster Paul Gambaccini, John also held forth on Christmas albums ("My record company in America asked me to do a Christmas record and I just told them to fuck off"), videos ("I fucking hate videos") and even which of his songs would be the best introduction to his music for a 6-year-old ("Just show him 'The Lion King'").

John said he plans to tour with Russell next year and hopes to make another record with him if "The Union" is a success. He also plans to do a solo covers album in the near future.

"The Union" will be released Oct. 19 in the United States on Decca Records, and Oct. 25 in the United Kingdom on Mercury.

I will be surprised if this album breaks 50,000 sold. Although, I suppose if it is hyped enough, maybe it will sell like Raising Sand.

I still say people don't want to hear new songs from him, they just want him to play the oldies, and thus, they are not going to buy some new album of his, regardless of who he teams up with to make an album. He also plans a covers album - no surprise there.

• 1 month later...

My father sent me this mp3 of Elton & Leon's latest called I Should've Sent Roses.

It sounds like they are in PIS mode. PIS = Playing It Safe.

Edit: Let me elaborate: I feel like I already know how this album's rockers will sound. This song reinforces that. I feel like I already know this tune.

Anyways, I think that song was broadcast on BBC 2 this a.m.