I just purchased Tumbleweed Connection and think it's quite great. It might be my pick for best Elton John album.

"Come Down in Time" might might contest for the most beautiful, perfect song of all-time.

John has some amazing tunes in the early 70's.....Someone Save My Life Tonight, Your Song, Sixty Years On, Daniel, Where to now St. Peter, Madman Across the Water, I Need You to Turn To, Yellow Brick Road....I could on for awhile.

Being a big fan of live albums, 11/17/70 is essential imo. The 20 minute "Burn Down the Mission" medley is great stuff.

Being a big fan of live albums, 11/17/70 is essential imo. The 20 minute "Burn Down the Mission" medley is great stuff.

:thumbup. Great pick. I love almost all of his early run of albums. Musically after the mid seventies there's not a whole lot I'm excited about, but the first several albums are all solid.

--Mike

I'm a singer myself, and I have to say, I truly have admired Elton ever since I first heard him, which was at the dawning of his popularity. What a voice! I would put him and Paul McCartney in my top five pop/rock singers list any time.

I agree that Elton and Bernie Taupin had an incredible run from about 1970 to 1976. Not everyone would go this far, but I would actually recommend all of the following:

1969 Empty Sky

1970 Elton John

1970 Tumbleweed Connection

1971 11-17-70 [Live]

1971 Friends Soundtrack

1971 Madman Across The Water

1972 Honky Chateau

1973 Don't Shoot Me I'm Only The Piano Player

1973 Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

1974 Caribou

1975 Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboy

1975 Rock Of The Westies

1976 Here And There [Live]

1976 Blue Moves

1992 Rare Masters

The "Special Editions" available on these, with bonus tracks, etc., are all well worth the money. I don't think you can even find the Friends soundtrack on CD, but you can get all the best stuff from that -- not to mention a few other early rare gems -- on Rare Masters, which I just picked up last week on Amazon for about 7 bucks.

just last night "bennie and the jets" came up on the shuffle. terrific song. fantastic album (good bye yellow brick road).

my favorite has to be "honkey chateau." the song "amy" gets in my head for days at a time. :music

tumbleweed connection is also a big fave.

Everything through Captain Fantastic is worth your time.

Those are the best, but there's still much to recommend the others I mentioned.

Rock Of The Westies - Has some great songs, especially hits Island Girl and I Feel Like A Bullet, but also Billie Bones & The White Bird ... that is a GREAT closing track, and rather unusual, even for an unusual guy like Elton!

Here And There - The original release of this was kind of lame, but the remaster is like having a full concert. Absolutely killer, especially the tracks with John Lennon.

Blue Moves - Much maligned, but still very interesting double album. Ambitious, though flawed ... kind of like Joni Mitchell's Don's Juan's Reckless Daughter in that sense.

Rare Masters - Came out much later, but is a retrospective of rare/non-album tracks. Gives you all the classics that got released as B-sides (caveat emptor - many were released as bonus tracks on other Elton remasters).

"Come Down in Time" might might contest for the most beautiful, perfect song of all-time.
Absolutely positively correct....one of the greatest songs of all time......hands down no bullshit.

It is easy to dis Elton but he had it all going on during the 70s, he owned them.

LouieB

Bennie and the Jets holds a special place in my heart.
Right.....used to sing that to the kids...

LouieB

Elton John was so "on" in the 70's and he was totally cool and brilliant. Pity to see him turn into such an old moaning queen but no one can take away that run of albums from 70 to 75.

Right.....used to sing that to the kids...

LouieB

the bit about "we'll fight our parents in the street to find out who's right and who's wrong?"

:brow

last weekend i was in detroit. two people came up to us, they were holding armfuls of old records. couldn't tell if they were selling them, or just panhandling, but i could see "don't shoot me..." on the top of a stack. ahh.

fun fact: i bought all my elton john records from a dj at a flea market when he was closing up shop. 1983?

not so fun fact: i loaned all of them to a friend 9 years ago when my turntable was in storage. he has since moved to the united arab emirates. with a LOT of my old records. pfft.

• 1 year later...

It looks like T-Bone Burnett is the man for the rockers from the old days:

Elton John Recording Album With Leon Russell

In an unexpected pairing, Elton John and Leon Russell are recording an album together in Los Angeles with producer T-Bone Burnett. Both artists have written songs for the project, which has no title or release date as of yet.

Billboard.com has learned that Neil Young, Booker T. Jones, Marc Ribot and Jim Keltner are among the guests who have contributed to the album.

According to a post on the Web site of longtime Elton collaborator Bernie Taupin, 15 songs have already been put to tape, "from Stones-like rockers, country-tinged ballads, gospel and even a Sinatra-like weepy similar to something torn from the grooves of 'In the Wee Small Hours.'"

"It's varied in scope and drenched in a rich tapestry of atmospherics," Taupin says. "Don't expect to hear the old EJ/BT sound; this is organic recording unlike anything you've heard from our duo before."

John's last studio album was 2006's "The Captain and the Kid." He is winding down a spring tour with Billy Joel and has solo tour dates on tap all the way into September.

Russell, 67, has been largely out of the spotlight in recent years, releasing albums on his own Leon Russell Records label. He underwent brain surgery in January but Taupin says "his playing is masterful as ever and his contribution to the project grows more exciting with the passing of everyday."

Well, that sounds like it could be worth listening to. I rarely bother with anything ole Reg has done since that run of albums in the 70's but I wouldn't bet against a late career renaissance.

Not to be too obvious, and I do have several of the early albums, but "Tiny Dancer" was always my favorite, and when "Almost Famous" came out with that just perfect singalong scene on the bus it took that song to a whole other level for me. I can't think of better use of a song in any movie. I almost cried watching that scene for the first time, it's just spot on.

It looks like T-Bone Burnett is the man for the rockers from the old days:

Elton John Recording Album With Leon Russell

Obviously, the Billboard writer did not see Elton's appearance on "Spectacle", where he highlights Leon's influence on his playing style among other things. Should be interesting to hear. Elton was my first "go to" artist as a kid, so always have a soft spot for him, but, outside of a few tracks, lost interest after "Here and There". But, the 70s were magnificent!

Couldn't agree more with Elton's 70's production. I came across this in Twist and Shout (Denver) 2 years ago and it quickly became one of my favorites. Every song is spectacular, and then there is added significance of this being the last time Lennon was recorded live on stage. At least, that is my understanding. Great album!

Elton John Band Featuring John Lennon And The Muscle Shoals Horns Recorded live at Madison Square Garden, New York on 28th November 1974. Features John Lennon on vocals and rhythm guitar on Whatever Gets You Through The Night, Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds and I Saw Her Standing There.

1. Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding 10:53

2. Rocket Man 4:45

3. Benny And The Jets 5:50

4. Take Me To The Pilot 5:33

5. Whatever Gets You Through The Night 4:25

6. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds 6:15

7. I Saw Her Standing There 3:37

John-Lennon-Elton-John-Band-F-474747.jpg