Lucinda Williams - Little Honey

What's everybody's thoughts on this? Like I said in the Now Playing thread I saw her preview virtually all of the albums tracks this year at Ottawa Blues Fest and I was excited then for what was to come but now that I've heard it I'm thinking this is pretty great, a very nice return to form after West and a very nice edition to a year that IMO doesn't have many great records yet.

I forgot this came out today. I've been buying a lot of new music lately, and I agree with you that there haven't been too many standout albums so far this year. Car Wheels On A Gravel Road is one of my favorite albums, but I don't feel like anything she's done since then has been as good. I'll still check this one out, though. She played about two hours from me on Sunday, but I had to skip it because of work yesterday. I saw her open for Bob Dylan a few years ago, but I still haven't gotten to see her headline yet.

I don't know I just find 2008 hasn't had "great" records just a lot of "good" ones, this could be a great one with some more listens. Like last year had Radiohead, Wilco (I know some of us don't think it's great but some of us do), Josh Ritter, The National, Arcade Fire etc etc. I just don't think any record this year has anything on 2007.

I don't know I just find 2008 hasn't had "great" records just a lot of "good" ones, this could be a great one with some more listens. Like last year had Radiohead, Wilco (I know some of us don't think it's great but some of us do), Josh Ritter, The National, Arcade Fire etc etc. I just don't think any record this year has anything on 2007.

Fleet Foxes, Blitzen Trapper, TV On The Radio, Sun Kil Moon, Cyne, Black Keys, The Dodos

i'd put most of those above all of the albums in your list minus The National (yes even ahead of Neon Bible, which was a good follow up, but not one of last years best)

i can't say 2008 is better than 2007 yet, but i'm certainly leaning that way

As always, one person's great. . . .

It is difficult to discern the thread topics from reading the posts. This thread is no exception.

Fleet Foxes, Blitzen Trapper, TV On The Radio, Sun Kil Moon, Cyne, Black Keys, The Dodos

i'd put most of those above all of the albums in your list minus The National (yes even ahead of Neon Bible, which was a good follow up, but not one of last years best)

i can't say 2008 is better than 2007 yet, but i'm certainly leaning that way

Really? I think Neon Bible's a better record than Funeral hands down.

Really? I think Neon Bible's a better record than Funeral hands down.

that's cool, my wife does too, but very few Arcade Fire fans on my site feel the same way :) i think some fans and critics were way too harsh on 'Neon Bible' and that the reality lies somewhere in between.

i could maybe agree it's a more consistent record, but the highs aren't even remotely as good as Funeral for me. Other than 'No Cars Go' (which is a very old song and was already released prior) there's not a single song on Neon Bible that touches 'Rebellion (Lies)', 'Wake Up' or 'Tunnels', and to a lesser extent 'Power Out' and 'Laika'.

the Neon bible songs are also just way way better live than the studio album too, which doesn't help my view of the record. it's close though... i'd probably go Funeral = 9.5, Neon Bible = 8.9.

seems you enjoy more Americana type bands overall though, so not that surprised you prefer NB over Funeral.

Does anybody know if there's a recording of that episode of Crossroads she did with Elvis Costello out there somewhere? I have their gorgeous version of Wild Horses from it, but I'd love to hear the rest.

I've seen it up at dime a dozen and Tape City. I have it on video.

I'm really torn about this release. This may be a "download first, maybe buy later" type of thing. I just can't trust her anymore. It's been a steady downhill slide that has left me cringing. I"m not even sure I listened to West more than once because it was so bad.

That said, in relation to the talk of this year vs. last year, I would take 2007 by a mile. And unless a new release comes up and slaps me across the face relatively soon, it'll stay that way. A lot of the albums I initially loved this year have been put on the shelf and haven't comes out in awhile. Because of that, I find myself "discovering" bands I've never really paid a ton of attention to. The Kinks, Faces, and even Rush are examples of that.

The only thing I'd ever heard from the Kinks was one of the thousand greatest hits compilations. My favorite "discovery" of the year has been the Lola & Powerman album.

• 3 weeks later...

This thread is awful but I don't want to start a new one on the same topic. Not your fault Kalle, but really did you other guys have to critique Arcade Fire versus that terrible Sun Kil Moon album RIGHT HERE??

West was underrated IMO, I don't know what people were expecting but I thought it was just fine (but no Car Wheels). So with that as some context...

This album is pretty darn good! Her first album in awhile that has my ideal ratio of heavy-rockers to slow strummers... And I love them both. The first half of the album, on the first listen, I was a little skeptical. However, those songs all grew on me (except title track). I really have not liked the title track since I saw her perform it on ACL earlier this year (a little too cliche-ribald for my taste).

The rockers grew on me bigtime though, and the strummers are mostly instantly-likeable. "If wishes were horses, I'd have a ranch - come on and give me another chance." I'm forgetting some of the better lines, and honestly I've always liked Lu as much for the simple, great, musical parts at least as much as the lyrics (heresy!). I think this is probably her second-best album in the last 10 years, behind Car Wheels. But it's really been a huge grower for me so far, maybe someday it'll outshine Car Wheels in my book.

And just a note -- I don't know why some people are so down on West and Lucinda in general the last few years. But give it a rest! She's not the messiah or even the obama, but she writes great simple songs about basic, raw emotions. I think people who hate her current work took some of her midcareer stuff too seriously ... But that's just a guess, I don't really know the reason. But frankly I don't see how people can bag on this album so much based on the work itself, without the context of "omg The Great Lucinda Williams Has Given Us New Reason To Believe In Life And Shit." This album is GOOD, and the world needs MORE of this kind of straightforward american music, and less indie whining.

I've listened to Little Honey twice so far. There's nothing much to say about it, it's not bad, there are some very good ones, but I think it's a bit monotonous in the second half. I think she could have kept "Plan to Marry" for her husband.

I'm still fond of her voice (except on the live one where she just sounds ugly), and it works really fine on the bluesy stuff of this record.

I'm glad she's still recording, and keeps the songs coming.

Every record by this singer is worth the listen, and think about this everyone: Car Wheels is just one of her records. Car Wheels is not Lucinda Williams.

I like this one better than West. I REALLY wanted to like West since at the time I was practically obsessed with anything Bill Frisell played on, but it never held my attention, so I canned it.

Yeah, West is pretty much execrable. I wanted to like it because just about every Lu record up to that one was brilliant, but ecch. Little Honey is okay. Nowhere near the level of Essence, Sweet Old World, Car Wheels, or World Without Tears (my four favourite Lu discs in order; yes, I am the one fan in the world who doesn't recognize Car Wheels as her first or even second best record), but the rockers are solid and a few of the ballads are decent. I'm definitely concerned about the shocking laziness that's overtaken her songwriting over the last two or so years. Here's hoping it's just a brief slump!

I'm definitely concerned about the shocking laziness that's overtaken her songwriting over the last two or so years. Here's hoping it's just a brief slump!

I guess I don't see it as laziness at all but a different writing style. I think West and Little Honey have a very "Neil Young-ish" writing style about them. Simpler, less cluttered lines if that makes any sence. Not saying it's better or worse, just different.

• 4 weeks later...