Bob Dylan: Lethbridge, Alberta

Let me just start off by saying that I had pretty low expectations coming into this. After reading about some other VC'ers latest experiences at a Dylan show (mostly negative, that he's hit or miss from night to night) I was resigned to just take it as is and be ok with a sub-par show. Well, let's just say Bob had an "on" night! (According to the guy next to me, who was at the show in Calgary and not impressed, last night's show was amazing!) I was 8th row center on the floor, but i moved up into the 4th row when he first came out and everybody stood up and stayed standing throughout the night. Perfect view of him and the band the entire night. I was around a good group of people who were really into the music so I had fun dancing with them and just being amazed with the level of performance from the band...and Bob too. Like I said, I wasn't expecting a great show, but to see Bob cracking smiles (brief, mind you) and grinding his feet into the floor and really getting into the music....well, it was just great. From where I was the sound was pretty good, although I knew people who had seats farther back and they didn't have a good time because they said they couldn't hear Bob's vocals about the band. The arrangements from all of the old songs sounded great! I just love all of the bluesy numbers! Very danceable!!! Well, here's the setlist taken from Bob's website:

Watching The River Flow

The Times They Are A-Changin'

Lonesome Day Blues

Girl From The North Country

High Water (for Charlie Patton)

Chimes Of Freedom

Rollin' And Tumblin'

A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall

Til I Fell In Love With You

Beyond The Horizon

Summer Days

Love Sick

Highway 61 Revisited

Ain't Talkin'

Thunder On The Mountain

Like A Rolling Stone

All Along The Watchtower

I was really hoping to hear him play Visions of Johanna (which he did a few nights ago in Kamploops, I think), but hearing Girl From The North Country and A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall...plus the encore....damn! It was all good!!

Glad to hear you had a good time! As we all know, Bob can be hit-or-miss but when he's on...you can get the goosebumps from head to toe. The setlist is almost an afterthought at a good show - I mean, NO ONE has a catalogue to draw from like Mr. Dylan. :worship

I was able to catch the Kalamazoo show on Saturday. The venue (Wings Stadium) is great for a hockey rink. Low ceiling and very small. It was general admission on the floor and everyone around me was very enthused and dancing.

I was lucky enough to have tickets for the Obama speech in Grant Park and was looking forward to this show to top the week off and Dylan definitely delivered. I thought his voice and keyboard was pretty high in the mix and sounded great for the most part. The rest of the band also played very well. He only played his guitar toward the end of HWY 61 and it sounded great. He' played a hollow body Gibson --- I never seen him play a hollow body electric guitar before.

Seeing Dylan sing Maggie's Farm, Baby Blue, It's Alright, Ma, and Hattie Carroll, after witnessing Tuesday night was very interesting for me. I have seen him perform those songs in the past, but somehow now I have a different perspective on his performances of his songs.

Anyway it was another great show by Dylan.

1. Maggie's Farm

2. Rainy Day Women #12 & 35

3. It's All Over Now, Baby Blue

4. Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum

5. Make You Feel My Love

6. The Levee's Gonna Break

7. Ballad Of Hollis Brown

8. Things Have Changed

9. The Lonesome Death Of Hattie Carroll

10. It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)

11. Workingman's Blues #2

12. Highway 61 Revisited (Bob on guitar)

13. Ain't Talkin'

14. Thunder On The Mountain

15. Ballad Of A Thin Man

(encore)

16. Like A Rolling Stone

17. All Along The Watchtower

Glad to hear you had a good time! As we all know, Bob can be hit-or-miss but when he's on...you can get the goosebumps from head to toe.

Indeed! :yes

calvino, I'm glad you had a good time. That setlist looks great! I would have loved to hear Time Have Changed and The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carol! :rock

I was able to catch the Kalamazoo show on Saturday. The venue (Wings Stadium) is great for a hockey rink. Low ceiling and very small. It was general admission on the floor and everyone around me was very enthused and dancing.

How was the sound in Wings? I thought about going, but it has been so long since I saw a concert at Wings Stadium and I do not recall the sound being very good in there.

1. Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat

2. A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall

3. Rollin' And Tumblin'

4. Don't Think Twice, It's All Right (Bob on guitar and harp)

5. The Levee's Gonna Break (Bob on harp)

6. Tryin' To Get To Heaven

7. Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again (Bob on harp)

8. Blind Willie McTell

9. Honest With Me

10. I Believe In You (Bob on harp)

11. Highway 61 Revisited (Bob on guitar and harp)

12. When The Deal Goes Down

13. Thunder On The Mountain

14. Nettie Moore

15. Like A Rolling Stone

(encore)

16. All Along The Watchtower

17. Blowin' In The Wind (Bob on harp)

That was the setlist for last night, soooooo much better than last year in Interlochen in every way. I had front row dead centre seats (honestly the best you could get) and Dylan made eye contact like five times (corny I know but still!), his voice still isn't that great (please don't play Hard Rain Bob lol) no, and his band isn't even that great (blues shuffleeeee) but last night he was smiling, dancing, laughing and joking around between songs which Tony etc. which made it obvious that the only reason he still tours this much and this often is because he has fun, it's not for the money or anything like that it's just fun for him. All in all though it was an enjoyable Dylan experience that made up for the last time I saw him exponentially.

How was the sound in Wings? I thought about going, but it has been so long since I saw a concert at Wings Stadium and I do not recall the sound being very good in there.

I was on the floor, dead center about 40 or so feet from the stage, and I thought the sound was great, especially for a rink.