Bon Iver to release new EP in Jan

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah vocoder, but isn't that auto-tune in the very beginning?

from the press release:

Bon Iver has grown to include more than what was available at the much-fabled Wisconsin cabin, such as piano, slide guitar, and vocoder. As Justin layers on harmonies in the meditative R&B a capella "Woods", he declares "I'm building a still to slow down the time." It is as poetic as it is necessary.

while the two things are similiar, vocoder is an actual device, whereas auto-tune is software-based. technically they both do phase shifting, but the effect and reason for using the two is usually pretty different.

i don't really see what people have against artists using it for effect... it's not like Justin can't sing amazingly well on his own. not saying i particularly love the song, but he chose to use it, more power to him :) . now if he pulls a Kanye and it's all over the new record... then we'll talk :lol .

Also, in reference to discussions about vocoder vs. auto-tune, basically, a vocoder is when a someone sings into a microphone connected to a keyboard. The keyboard indicates the pitch and the sound. Auto-tune is just taking the existing vocals and changing the pitches through a computer program. For some good examples of each of these, anything by Imogen Heap for Vocoder, and T-Pain (haha) for auto-tune

Yeah I agree that they are similar sounding and that there is definitely vocoder all over the track, it just sounds like auto-tune to me in the beginning. I think it's the way it sometimes warbles that leads me to think that. You can hear the difference between the atuo-tune and the vocoder when the bass vocal melody comes in. I think it's just a combination of the two throughout the song, but to me that totally sounds like auto-tune on the vocals in the beginning.

Also, in reference to discussions about vocoder vs. auto-tune, basically, a vocoder is when a someone sings into a microphone connected to a keyboard. The keyboard indicates the pitch and the sound. Auto-tune is just taking the existing vocals and changing the pitches through a computer program. For some good examples of each of these, anything by Imogen Heap for Vocoder, and T-Pain (haha) for auto-tune

:thumbup

Wouldn't T-Pain also be an example of a vocoder? Maybe Akon is a better example for autotune.

Wouldn't T-Pain also be an example of a vocoder? Maybe Akon is a better example for autotune.

I always thought T-Pain used auto-tune... hmm.

Either way, I'm pretty sure there's no auto-tune on Woods. The way the voice sort of trills at the beginning sounds more like something that would be played on a keyboard than simply a result of auto-tune. Either way, its a cool song.

This whole EP is really really nice. I would've liked one more track that's a true song-song, since both Babys and Woods are more exercises in atmosphere and dynamics, but regardless, it's a nice little end of the year gift.

Lastly, I must thank Solace for getting me into Bon Iver. You're the resident fanatic on these boards and the reason I checked out For Emma, Forever Ago this past March. Way to go! :thumbup

my pleasure :)

honestly did not think he'd blow up even REMOTELY as big as he has... couldn't have happened to a nicer and more deserving fellow either imo. definitely seek out the 2 solo releases floating around (the Hazeltons EP and Self Record) they're both chock full of gems imo

my pleasure :)

honestly did not think he'd blow up even REMOTELY as big as he has... couldn't have happened to a nicer and more deserving fellow either imo. definitely seek out the 2 solo releases floating around (the Hazeltons EP and Self Record) they're both chock full of gems imo

or perhaps a PM? i've got the second DeYarmond Edison if you are interested.

-justin

Sounds like a pretty intentional use of vocoder. I always figured auto-tune was to cover up missed notes, and it sounds like his thing isn't with that in mind at all.

Plus there's this from Funny Or Die.

Oh well haha.

This EP is really great though. I do wish they had included Wisconsin as part of the tracklist. It was only an itunes bonus song and I feel like it would've fit really well in the album sound-wise. For fun, and because I'm into this sort of thing, I came up with an alternate version of the EP's tracklist:

1. Babys Pt. 1 (I would split the track during the bread before the last verse)

2. Blood Bank

3. Beach Baby

4. The Woods

5. Wisconsin

6. Babys Pt. 2 (Picks up at the break)

Eh??

• 2 weeks later...
Tallest Man on Earth is effing amazing too, these are going to be incredible shows :)

Well, I just got home from seeing them in Louisville, and holy shit what a show. :wub :wub :wub I got to talk to the Tallest Man on Earth afterwards and thanked him for a great show and the kick-ass version of Death Letter. He was so gracious and sweet...what a pleasure. Bon Iver was amazing...hearing the songs off "For Emma" live really got to me, in a good way. I picked up the new EP and I can't wait to check it out...Blood Bank and Beach Baby sounded awesome. :music

nobody wants to hear from me, but the EP is probably a 2009 release. technically, the vinyl version is being sold at shows, while the CD will be in brick and mortars in January, but i'd bet the back of the vinyl version says 2009.

now, the back of the limited edition of For Emma, Forever Ago being sold throughout the latter half of 2007 says 2007!

-justin

now, the back of the limited edition of For Emma, Forever Ago being sold throughout the latter half of 2007 says 2007!

Oh, cool, so it counts for both years. Glad that's settled.