New Doves Album

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

through track 5 this is REAL good... Winter Hill is just immense.

i honestly don't expect them to top the first 2 for me ever, but this one is off to a better start than Some Cities got with me (which i grew to love)

the second half is even better i think

I hope you guys are right. I really hated that first leaked single, and the title track is the classic sound, but not quite amazing. Also, I'd almost be scared if I liked all of it right away. First impressions rarely hold up for me. The good ones fade fast and the dislikes I often come around on. If its a first impression record, I'm afraid its not gonna have any substance.

Can you tell that I'm invested in this band? Gheez.

the run from Winter Hill->10:03->The Greatest Denier is one of their best 3 song punches to date imo.

i'm not HUGE on Compulsion yet... it's very Sub Sub-ish too, even moreso than Jetstream (which i've grown to like)

so far i'd say I disagree that the second half of the album is better, but after one listen i really REALLY like this record

i'd have to say Spellbound is my favorite so far. it has that melancholic epic sound that only they can do...the guitar part at the end reminds me of Bends-era Radiohead.

Winter Hill is definitely great too, but it's probably the most mainstream sounding song on there.

i think the songs will get better with each listen. check it out with headphones...there's a lot going on there.

for me, they are the best UK band right now.

k, listened to this twice now while preoccupied doing other stuff, and half of one of those listens was on the bus. so, all that taken into account, i haven't given it the full attention it deserves.

but what i heard still sounded fantastic.

more thoughts after i give it a proper run-thru tonite.

Three tracks in and coming from a big Doves fan.....this is not good. Lyrics = bad. The vocals are also bothering me more than they ever have. Too affected or something. Dude sounds mentally challenged when he says, "Just the two ooooffff usssss."

EDIT: Man, I had to stop listening to it. I guess these last few years never listening to them has ruined them for me or something. Those vocals!

Three tracks in and coming from a big Doves fan.....this is not good. Lyrics = bad. The vocals are also bothering me more than they ever have. Too affected or something. Dude sounds mentally challenged when he says, "Just the two ooooffff usssss."

EDIT: Man, I had to stop listening to it. I guess these last few years never listening to them has ruined them for me or something. Those vocals!

your reaction is really hard to understand, especially if you are a fan. i think this album takes all the best elements of the last three and is much more consistent. i honestly don't think there is a bad track on it. oh well, different strokes....

your reaction is really hard to understand, especially if you are a fan. i think this album takes all the best elements of the last three and is much more consistent. i honestly don't think there is a bad track on it. oh well, different strokes....

My reaction is very hard to understand for me, too. Trust me. Lost Souls and Last Broadcast are right up there with some of my favorite records. I'm thinking it might just be my mood - today was a shitty day. So I'll temporarily retract my judgment and give it another shot tomorrow morning or some other time soon. It will bother me immensely if it sounds like it did to me tonight.

• 3 weeks later...

I like it substantially more than I did on first listen, but it's not close to the first two. Nothing they do will be, I fear. But some solid tunes. About what Kyle said, though I would say it is equal or a bit worse than Some Cities.