New Doves Album

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/doves-...003919556.story

Doves Prepare To Reclaim Their 'Kingdom'

Doves

December 04, 2008 01:18 PM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

U.K. rock act Doves is back amid the friendly confines of Astralwerks for the North American release of its fourth album, due in April. After issuing its 2000 debut, "Lost Souls," on Astralwerks, the band's last two albums came out on Capitol in the States.

The as-yet-untitled new set was recorded at the band's home studio in Cheshire, England, and is nearly complete, Doves frontman Jimi Goodwin tells Billboard.com. The first single will be "Kingdom of Rust," which he describes as having "a country-ish shuffle beat. It's really expansive with a wistful melody. It's quite emotional."

According to Goodwin, also due to make the final cut on the follow-up to 2005's "Some Cities" are the Kraftwerk-leaning "Jetstream," a "nod to our electronic past" sung by guitarist Jez Williams; "The Outsiders," which has a "piledriver bass line and a Can-like backbeat"; and "Winter Hill," a "vaguely country rock-esque tune."

"Everyone talks about f*cking departures, but this album is hopefully just Doves doing what they do really well, which is nicely crafted songs," Goodwin says. Asked if a country rock feel was pervasive, he replied, "We haven't made 'Nashville Skyline,' you know what I mean?"

After finishing the "Some Cities" tour in January 2006, band members took an extended break for the first time in their career. "In hindsight, getting off the bike like that did sort of throw us as to why it's been so long between releases, but it was necessary mentally at the time," Goodwin says.

Initial sessions for the album were tracked with veteran producer John Leckie, but the pairing didn't pan out for scheduling reasons, and that material was scrapped. The band then turned to Dana Austin, who worked as an engineer on "Some Cities," to help finish the set.

Doves will return to live duty with U.K. shows in February, followed by a longer tour in April and likely summer festival dates internationally. The band is unsure about its ability to tour in the States "in these credit-crunched times, but we hope we'll be able to get there," Goodwin says.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Just got this email from Doves - I can't wait for this. I loved the last one, Some Cities. Anybody else a fan?

"Hello

Just wanted to start by letting you all know we've finally finished our new album & after a week of compiling the track order & other details I can confirm we're all made up with it, we reckon its our most diverse record yet. Looking forward to it being out there for people to listen to(will be released sometime in April)

We're also looking forward to being released from our doves bunker & to being fully integrated back into society & playing live again. Lots of gigs are being planned for 2009,just the u.k & the u.s at the moment, but we are hoping to go further a field too. Also, keep your eyes peeled for our new website over the next couple of weeks.

As always thanks for you're patience & support ,

We will be seeing you soon

Doves"

I am very much looking forward to this one as well. :dancing

Now I just checked their MySpace to see if any new songs have materialized (none so far), and I'm pretty sure I have not listened to Doves since last sorta OD'ing on them when Some Cities came out - new fan at the time, and seeing them at The Vic with you, Evonne, in May 2005*.

http://www.myspace.com/dovesmyspace

:music ... and the old songs are sounding really REALLY good today!

*The mega-show weekend with Earlimart, Mercury Rev/Doves, Todd Rundgren/Joe Jackson back-to-back! :stunned

This IS great news... I dug out Some Cities the other weekend - I'd forgotten what a great record it is.

i did the same thing last weekend. great record. i wonder if they will expand their u.s. dates this time.

...I'm pretty sure I have not listened to Doves since last sorta OD'ing on them when Some Cities came out - new fan at the time, and seeing them at The Vic with you, Evonne, in May 2005*.

*The mega-show weekend with Earlimart, Mercury Rev/Doves, Todd Rundgren/Joe Jackson back-to-back! :stunned

miss wendy, that was the same week you turned me on to beulah. hallmark week! :cheekkiss

did you forget that week kicked off with two jeff solo shows at the vic?

man, i can't wait to hear this! the last time doves played los angeles it was the same night wilco was at the wiltern. pfft.

maybe they'll do some festival dates as well...

i just heard the single, Kingdom of Rust, on BBC 1 Radio....

an amazing, beautiful song. I know I'll have to listen several times to really rank it, but first impression is that it is one of their best ever. I can't wait to hear CD quality.

i am sure they'll be mp3's floating around before too long.

• 2 weeks later...
video for Kingdom of Rust:

http://stereogum.com/archives/video/new-do...ust_052281.html

cool video! and great to finally hear the song in good audio quality as well

That video is a gutpunch. Or maybe I was just distracted listening to the song.

My first reaction was a contented sigh. Having a new Doves song this good felt like settling into my favorite chair with a slug of makers on ice.

Here's an email from Doves (No US dates yet, dangit):

TOUR ANNOUNCEMENT!

Hey there

You might have seen some new dates announced online today. After a small handful of gigs in March, we