Pear Jam's 10 reissue

Love or hate the new reissue of Ten, but it's undeniable that the recent interviews (particularly with Jeff and Ed) have been phenominal.

I was really interested by this:

"There was that totally different "Jeremy" that was played live in 1995, but it's nowhere to be found here.

'I don't know that we ever got it to a place where it would have been a really proper alternate version. I think we only played it five or six times. '"

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed the cover color is different on the re-issue.

Jeff Ament: There were definitely some politics with the art department at Sony at the time, so the cover didn't turn out the way we intended. It was a pinker shade of red than what we intended (laughs).

This reminded me of what Jeff went through with Being There:

Probably not to this extent. Except for that first record, for me, I feel like on every record, we overextended ourselves with the sorts of packages we put out. With "Vitalogy," that package cut into about 30 to 40% of our royalties, because the manufacturing wasn't set up to do what we wanted. On "Vs.," we did an ecopack, which they don't do anymore. It preceded the digipak. It was us trying to take plastic out of the package and make it more like a record; to make it feel like you were opening something up and something inside would reveal itself. It would be big enough to be a substantial piece of art, and it wouldn't be in a jewel case. We hated those from the very beginning, because they were breakable. The spines would break, the cases would crack and you couldn't close them. Subsequent reissues won't be to the extent of what we did with "Ten." I haven't started digging through those boxes yet, but I can only think of a handful of things I'd like to re-do on any of those records. That would be more mix or sound things.
Love or hate the new reissue of Ten, but it's undeniable that the recent interviews (particularly with Jeff and Ed) have been phenominal.

I was really interested by this:

"There was that totally different "Jeremy" that was played live in 1995, but it's nowhere to be found here.

'I don't know that we ever got it to a place where it would have been a really proper alternate version. I think we only played it five or six times. '"

I think the only show that i have with them doing that was the Randalls Island 96 show. It is a cool little different take on Jeremy.

I think the only show that i have with them doing that was the Randalls Island 96 show. It is a cool little different take on Jeremy.

You should definitely get the 95 Red Rocks show then. In addition to the alternate Jeremy, they have Falling Down (first and only time played), Ship Song (partial), and couple of other nuggets.

I often wonder how well re-issues of albums sell. I would think they don't do these kind of numbers:

Pearl Jam's 'Ten' Reissue Off To Strong Sales Start

Pearl Jam fans snapped of 10,000 copies of the super-deluxe "Ten" reissue.

March 30, 2009 08:16 AM ET

Cortney Harding, N.Y.

Sony Legacy is predicting solid first-week numbers for its reissue of Pearl Jam's 1992 album "Ten"