• Replies 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^ watched that a few months back :).

NW:

41zznyf6C-L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Almost through the 1st Season.

Jar City - sort of like an episode of Law & Order: Iceland, with a murder case leading cops around a small town outside of Reykjavik, dredging up and connecting the links of a seedy, decades-long tragedy. Creepy, particularly the goat's head fast food entree.

Guest Runaway Jim

Watched Into the Wild again. Hands down one of the very best movies of this decade. I love those scenes with Hal Holbrook.

Also watched State of Play, which was pretty fun.

mke-header_Film-Festival.jpg

Today is Day 7 of the 11-day Milwaukee Film Festival. I've seen 15 movies already and plan to catch at least 11 more. So far my favorite is Storm, another great film by Hans-Christian Schmid. I've also enjoyed The Beaches of Agnes, Lake Tahoe, Bronson, 9.99, and The House of the Devil.

Precious is a genuinely great American movie. It's certainly among the best I've seen so far this year.

Good to hear. I read Push a few years ago (in about a day - it's that kind of book) and was shocked to learn they managed to adapt it into a film.

a_serious_man_image.jpg

I am a huge Coen Brothers fan, and I have to say I enjoyed as much or more on the first watch as I have anything they've ever put out. There's a scene in this movie I laughed at harder than almost anything else I've ever seen in a movie (up there with Owen Wilson's "Eli Cash" reading in Tenenbaums and Woody Allen's "I happen to have Marshall Mcluhan right here.") So yeah, go see this movie.

--Mike

princessbride.jpg

It had been a while, but it was every bit as good as I remembered it.

It had been a while, but it was every bit as good as I remembered it.

I came here to write the same thing about this:

1800023240p.jpg

Actually, I enjoyed Magnolia more this time around than I'd ever enjoyed it before.

CalifornicationSeason1-Changed.jpg

Rachel Getting Married - in Stamford, Connecticut, a family defined by heartache gathers for a long weekend of celebration and confrontation, via Rachel's wedding and her sister Kym's release from a stint at rehab, respectively. Good, naturalistic performances from all, notably Bill Irwin as the sorrowful ringleader dad. The verite approach Jonathan Demme takes here is closer to his Neil Young concert film than, say Philadelphia, and thank God for it - the script's instances of clumsiness would be less forgivable if this was shot as a Big Hollywood Movie. And though the tony setting and a permeating hipness threaten to suffocate the characters at times (the indulgent wedding party scenes, with all colors, creeds, cultures and sexualities represented under an uber-hipster tent, all there to send off the black-and-white couple, feel like Demme saying 'look how cool my life is - you will never, ever be at a wedding this panethnic. Look - even Fab 5 Freddy and Robyn Hitchcock are guests! And the groom is from TV On The Radio!"), the final emotional payoff feels well-earned.

RE: Californication

I just finished season 1 of this. It was much better than I expected. The large amount of female nudity in no way biased me.

Oddly enough I'm on the last episode of Season 2.

I have a love/hate thing going with the show. It can be funny and witty, but also cliched and ridiculous. Thankfully there's enough good stuff going on to keep me watching--the parade of sundry beautiful women doesn't hurt the cause either of course.

Rachel Getting Married - in Stamford, Connecticut, a family defined by heartache gathers for a long weekend of celebration and confrontation, via Rachel's wedding and her sister Kym's release from a stint at rehab, respectively. Good, naturalistic performances from all, notably Bill Irwin as the sorrowful ringleader dad. The verite approach Jonathan Demme takes here is closer to his Neil Young concert film than, say Philadelphia, and thank God for it - the script's instances of clumsiness would be less forgivable if this was shot as a Big Hollywood Movie. And though the tony setting and a permeating hipness threaten to suffocate the characters at times (the indulgent wedding party scenes, with all colors, creeds, cultures and sexualities represented under an uber-hipster tent, all there to send off the black-and-white couple, feel like Demme saying 'look how cool my life is - you will never, ever be at a wedding this panethnic. Look - even Fab 5 Freddy and Robyn Hitchcock are guests! And the groom is from TV On The Radio!"), the final emotional payoff feels well-earned.

How great is the dish washer scene? My jaw was on the floor when that ended.

--Mike