Guest Runaway Jim

For one thing, when Martin Sheen's character asks DiCaprio's character to take on the assignment, he says "do it...for me." It's clear he's supposed to be a father figure, but the emotional component rings empty because we haven't seen any connection between these two before this scene.

I completely see what you mean there. And the timeline of The Departed is rather choppy. I guess that's just never bothered me.

• Replies 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It Might Get Loud. The scene where Jimmy Page listens to Link Wray's "Rumble" is the most genuinely joyful thing I've seen in a long time.

Anvil: The Story of Anvil. I'm not convinced this is real. Not that their story isn't believable, but several aspects of the film suggest "HOAX" to me.

Idiocracy. I'm one of the lucky few who saw this masterpiece in the movie theater. It was on Comedy Central last night, and I had to turn it off because the editing/censoring was so heavy-handed, and in most cases, completely unnecessary.

This thing is like candy, instant gratification. "Here's the bad guys, and why you should hate them. Here's our flawed heros and why you should pull for 'em. Here is the premise, interesting isn't it? Here's the moment that, even though you know it's coming still evokes a little 'eeep' outta you when it happens! Here's the conclusion: satisfying huh"?

It's right up there w/ Jackie Brown as my fav. Tarantino flick.

Perfect review. Couldn't agree more.

This thing is like candy, instant gratification. "Here's the bad guys, and why you should hate them. Here's our flawed heros and why you should pull for 'em. Here is the premise, interesting isn't it? Here's the moment that, even though you know it's coming still evokes a little 'eeep' outta you when it happens! Here's the conclusion: satisfying huh"?

It's right up there w/ Jackie Brown as my fav. Tarantino flick.

This was a great movie. Was there a more tense and well directed scene last year than the farmer hiding the Jewish family under the house? (I don't think this constitutes a spoiler in any way, at least I hope not).

This was a great movie. Was there a more tense and well directed scene last year than the farmer hiding the Jewish family under the house? (I don't think this constitutes a spoiler in any way, at least I hope not).

There was incredible tension built through the dialogue in that opening. I also noticed the milk glowed like Marcellus Wallace's briefcase.

One thing that I would like to point out about Inglourious Basterds is that the running time is so briskly paced. Isn't it though?

I think I can count in my head the number of scenes (or locations if you will) in the film. When you really think about it there aren't that many.

And for a film that runs close to 2 and a half hours that says something about Tarantino's strengths as both a writer and director.

I am not sure what that person is talking about - the trailer does not give away the major "twist" of the movie (I hate to use such shallow words, for such a serious subject) - though you might not want to read the comments section (I haven't read it, so I don't know what it says).

bobcat_goldthwait_police_academy_320.jpg

World's Greatest Dad

Who knew that that person up top would have directed one of the best black-as-coal comedies to come out in quite some time?

Daryl Sabara (the kid from Spy Kids) is amazingly spot on as the masturbating, pissed off because I'm a teenager, son of Robin Williams.

At a certain point in the film Bobcat pulls back the lense only to move the magnifying glass closer.

I won't spoil anything about the plot, but it's worth checking out.

Plus, there's a running Bruce Hornsby joke that pays off.

Also, it gives Grosse Pointe Blank a run for its' money for using Under Pressure in one scene.

And recently I rewatched Jason Reitman's 1st 2 films Thank You For Smoking and Juno.

Now I need to pick another director from the last decade.

Chris_Smith___2__pool_poste.jpg

gomorrah_021.jpg

Watched Chris Smith's The Pool yesterday, and Matteo Garrone's Gomorrah today. Both are impressive accomplishments, but for totally different reasons: One has a warm feel for humanity, while the other has a coldly cynical view.

it_might_get_loud.jpg

The best thing about this is a segment in the special features which showcases Edge's soundcheck, during which he works his way through "Bad'.

Overall...meh.

011108_tucci_400X400.jpg

Blind Date starring Stanley Tucci and Patricia Clarkson.

I really loved this a lot. It's rather darkly themed. A married couple in distress after the death of their daughter and their rather unorthodox efforts to re-engage with one another. Tucci directs and co-wrote this. They both deliver great performances.

poster.jpg

SPOLIER ALERT

Despite the cover imagery, at no point in this movie is a cruise ship taken down by giant octopus. This is more than made up for, however, by the antics of mega shark.

Last 4 films watched:

Moon-film-poster-Duncan-Jones-Sam-Rockwell.jpg ****** it-might-get-loud-poster.jpg ****** fabricando-tom-ze-poster02.jpg ****** freebiebean.jpg

Moon - 8.5/10

It Might Get Loud - 7/10

Fabricando Tom Ze - 8/10

Freebie and the Bean - 4/10