I think you asked me somewhat recently if I had seen something on This. I had. It's the best station. We call it "Two Stars" because almost everything they play gets exactly that.

Watched some of Moby Dick last night on This.

To me it is great - as I love B-films from the 1970s.

Of course, not all the films they show are old weird movies from the 70s.

• Replies 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This broadcast the entire Martian Chronicles miniseries front to back a few Sundays ago. Watching parts of it was trippy - it was big deal in my household when it first aired.

I watched it.

Boxcar Bertha is on tonight.

²

great film

I don't think it was great. I did like it, just didn't love it! I think it was a well told story and had some funny and interesting scenes. That being said, I just can't understand all the Oscar nominations (Best Director, best Actor, two Best supporting actress noms AND best picture...huh?) :blink I feel like George Clooney has played this type of role countless times. I read a review that said he could've played this role in his sleep and that is exactly the way felt... Clooney was just 'playing Clooney'. Vera Farmiga being nominated remains a mystery to me, while it was a good performance, I don't think it merits an oscar nomination. The same thing goes for Anna Kendrick, though she was the best part of the film (minus that crying scene). But to top it all off...Best picture of 2009... Perhaps I simply missed something here. Maybe I should see it again.... :huh

Guest Runaway Jim

post-16022-12667754900751_thumb.jpgpost-16022-12667754999803_thumb.jpg

Not a very good weekend of movies for me, so far.

In Dreams was a bit too weird for me. And not too well done, I didn't think. The story just didn't flow right. After watching it, I wondered if there may have been a lot cut out of it in editing, or just if the screenplay was horrible. I've liked pretty much everything else that I've seen of Neil Jordan's, but not this one.

I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell was ok. It was marginally funny at times, hilarious only once, and otherwise just annoying. I'd beat the shit out of that guy if he ever walked into the same bar as me, that's for sure.

I will be watching this for the first time ever tonight though...!

post-16022-12667756462288_thumb.jpg

I was an extra in The Invention Of Lying. I was in the scene where Ricky comes out of the bank the 1st time. You can barely see me and the guy next to me walking down the street, but I'm sure you could if you slowed it down. In fact, that guy and myself chatted with Ricky in between a shot. He was very nice.I told him, "Good luck with the film". His quick dry reply, "Eh..it'll probably go straight to dvd anyways!" LOL. But yeah this was filmed in my hometown of Lowell, MA. Pretty cool to have that film there and then a year later The Fighter filmed there too and of course Wilco played the ballpark.

I thought the movie was pretty good. Some scenes felt rushed and had that dreaded "dead air" feel to them. Coincidentally, Ricky gloated about how he shot very quick. No day went past 6p.m. I hate to say it but I think it shows. It's too bad because the script read so well. I'll watch this a 2nd time on dvd to see if I feel the same way.

I liked your story better than the movie. You're probably right about the quick shoots.

Also recently seen:

500 days of Summer - Fell snugly into the dreaded "wanted to like it more than I did" category. I understand what it's trying to do, and I liked JGL, but I just didn't attach to it at any point, and I think I hated Zooey more than you're supposed to. After that one, I need a break from her for at least a month.

The Hurt Locker - Film of the Year. What's that blurb on the cover, "nearly flawless"? Yep. Gripping, thought provoking, heart racing... had it all. Bigelow absolutely nailed it with her primary casting - especially Mackie & Renner. I understand Renner has recieved tons of accolades - all deserved. Superb job. Loved the star cameos too, though Evangeline Lilly's was kinda pointless beyond eye candy.

The Hurt Locker - Film of the Year. What's that blurb on the cover, "nearly flawless"? Yep. Gripping, thought provoking, heart racing... had it all. Bigelow absolutely nailed it with her primary casting - especially Mackie & Renner. I understand Renner has recieved tons of accolades - all deserved. Superb job. Loved the star cameos too, though Evangeline Lilly's was kinda pointless beyond eye candy.

I have to disagree with you here. I think that she played a pivotal role in the film depending on how you look at it. As you said she was "eye candy". Ok. Now take that into consideration for the story and Jeremy Renner's character motivation to keep going after bombs. It seems kind of silly for him to be over "there", while he has God damn Evangeline Lilly over at home...plus with a kid too, right? To me that spoke volumes about his character, especially considering we knew he was that "thrill seeking" type of soldier without fear.

They could have had any lesser known actress like her in that same part, since it's really only like 3 scenes or so. But, ultimately she was cast in the film along with Ralph Fiennes, Guy Pearce, & David Morse to play their specific characters. To a certain degree I put this in that same category as The Thin Red Line with "star cameos", I wouldn't get too caught up in it. They are just playing a part that could have gone to a character actor that you recognize from playing certain types of roles. So I wouldn't get upset that Lilly didn't do a cartwheel or blow up Renner's house to get even with him for going over "there".

I don't think it was great. I did like it, just didn't love it! I think it was a well told story and had some funny and interesting scenes. That being said, I just can't understand all the Oscar nominations (Best Director, best Actor, two Best supporting actress noms AND best picture...huh?) :blink I feel like George Clooney has played this type of role countless times. I read a review that said he could've played this role in his sleep and that is exactly the way felt... Clooney was just 'playing Clooney'. Vera Farmiga being nominated remains a mystery to me, while it was a good performance, I don't think it merits an oscar nomination. The same thing goes for Anna Kendrick, though she was the best part of the film (minus that crying scene). But to top it all off...Best picture of 2009... Perhaps I simply missed something here. Maybe I should see it again.... :huh

Wow! This sounds like a carbon copy of a stance of a good friend of mine. I'll use some of the same questions that I asked him.

How about if the movie had 0 Oscar nominations? Would you consider it better than great? Before I continue I don't want to sound too pompous, but things like that really upset me. And I feel the need to psychoanalyze people to see what they were thinking for preconceptions before going into the film. To me, that seems like the biggest thing that always seems to be the case.

I saw the film on the 1st night of it's wide release opening December 23rd. I knew that the film was getting rave reviews and I didn't read one of them. I wanted to be surprised. I loved the trailer and wanted to see it for what seemed like a fresh take on a somewhat "done" story. I was blown away and well...let me say that the Oscars are really all political anyways, so I don't put much stock into what they "nominate/create awareness" for.

Here was a very adult story made for adults, mostly. It didn't seem to me condescending or preachy at all and that was thanks in part due to Clooney's performance. I know where you're coming from about Clooney being Clooney, but I feel that in this film he tapped into something that we hadn't seen before: loneliness through the guise of material accumulations(airline points).

Vera Farmiga?! How could she be a mystery to you when you pulled off the biggest lie of the whole film? I watched it a 2nd time and I still didn't notice any hints about her revelation. This lack of that other part of her life , I think, hinted at the duality of her character: "single" on the road and mom at home.

It's not about missing anything. This was really a simple story. And that's where I ask "what would you like Jason Reitman to have done differently? what were you expecting?" My friend replied, "well, I don't know why everyone (the critics) made a big deal out of the film. I don't think it was anything special".

This film showed in it's lense that life lived alone on the road is quite unsatisfactory. Even though Ryan Bingham convinced himself otherwise, until he met Farmiga's character. Then he started to change his priorities to put family and her 1st and then things blew up in his face because she wanted a casual relationship and nothing more, while he wanted something more and got a life lesson. Edit: Not to mention this film was very timely with the topic of firing(people losing their jobs) and the human touch of that that Clooney wanted to keep intact. One could argue that it was selfish: in person means he gets to fly around, but I think that he respected the people that he had to fire as a 3rd person contractor. Which could be looked at as more commentary: gutless corporations can't even fire their own people (worried about lawsuits).

Edit: I should add that I used to sound like Rain Dog's review years ago. At a certain point I realized that I was hating everything and was bitter. Then I changed my perspective on things. Now I tend to like a lot of stuff. I'm not saying that Rain Dog is bitter, I don't know him. It just hit a nerve with me that's all, especially bringing up the Oscar bit. This is more of a defense of the film and not an attack in any way on Rain Dog's sensibilities as a film watcher. :thumbup

I also would defend 500 Days Of Summer, but that's for another time.

I thought Up in the Air was a big meh, and I keep on hearing defenders saying that it was "an adult movie made for adults."

Clooney's character and his setting just seemed too ridiculous. Not only was this a guy who works for a firm who fires people, but he also speaks at seminars about removing people from your life because they're clutter? It's just too extreme and ridiculous a premise. Line him up with two female partners, one whose character embodies physical desire, and the other one is the prudish intellect. Maybe, just maybe, George Clooney's character will grow, learn to allow people into his life, and learn a little something about himself along the way? Please...

It's a B movie, by any definition.

I thought Up in the Air was a big meh, and I keep on hearing defenders saying that it was "an adult movie made for adults."

Clooney's character and his setting just seemed too ridiculous. Not only was this a guy who works for a firm who fires people, but he also speaks at seminars about removing people from your life because they're clutter? It's just too extreme and ridiculous a premise. Line him up with two female partners, one whose character embodies physical desire, and the other one is the prudish intellect. Maybe, just maybe, George Clooney's character will grow, learn to allow people into his life, and learn a little something about himself along the way? Please...

It's a B movie, by any definition.

Yeah, the longer I sit with it, the more I dislike this movie (perhaps a bit unfairly, because I know it's partly due to the accolades its received).

I don't think it was great. I did like it, just didn't love it! I think it was a well told story and had some funny and interesting scenes.

Hmm...somehow I overlooked this or read it differently in my head. I guess I was blind sided by the bring up of Mr. Oscar.

:punch

Edit: To address the why did it garner 10 Oscar nominations, I'm willing to go down that pessimistic/conspiracy theorist road.

Well, for one Jason Reitman is kind of born into Hollwood "royalty". LOL. Yeah, the idea that Ivan Reitman can be considered "royalty" is funny, but he did create a lot of classic comedies (which is funny because the Oscars stick their nose up to them, although a lot of comedies save a lot of studios asses due to being made for modest budgets and bring in killer revenue on repeat viewings). Having this in mind, I'm sure that Ivan helped his son purchase the rights to Thank You For Smoking. I know that Jason has an incredible talent, but he has an even better eye for great material and it helps when you come from money.

And with this film, it really struck a chord with the Oscar "people" and they threw a nomination to almost everyone involved. One can argue throwing in Julianne Moore from A SIngle Man in Maggie G's place or one of the women from Up In The Air. But that's usually typical, a lot of these films get nominations across the board EXCEPT for something like Avatar which has no acting & screenwriting nominations. LOL. It will probably win Best Picture (due to bringing in $700 million and expanding what a film can do) and lose Best Director to Kathryn Bigelow, since that story is all about her being the 1st woman to win. I don't really see it as a gender thing. I think all 5 nominees deserve their directing nominations. I don't think "oh wow she's a woman she should win and that would be cool and historic." I think that Tarantino deserves it, but like Sir Stewart talked about backlash that comes with praise, I guess I feel the same about the Bigelow Big Deal. I feel like they're really milking that for all the wrong reasons to get people to tune in.

51ilrQws4YL._SS500_.jpg

I liked it (I am an unapologetic sucker for Sci-Fi), but didn't love it (to borrow a phrase from this thread). Interesting visuals, a few great moments of tension and drama but a somewhat tired plot. And, didn't like the 3rd act at all. A little too slasher flick for my tastes.

Maybe, just maybe, George Clooney's character will grow, learn to allow people into his life, and learn a little something about himself along the way? Please...

That description doesn't remotely do justice to what Up in the Air achieves. On a surface plot level, sure, it can be reduced to that arc. But what separates the movie from the pack has little to do with that arc, and everything to do with the intangibles, including sophisticated characterizations, an uncommon humanity, a surprising depth of feeling, and a unique, mature tone. All of those things elevate the movie far above the usual pablum; in fact, they are the mark of a smart, thoughtful, accomplished talent behind the camera. What's nifty isn't the premise; what's nifty is the execution.

That description doesn't remotely do justice to what Up in the Air achieves. On a surface plot level, sure, it can be reduced to that arc. But what separates the movie from the pack has little to do with that arc, and everything to do with the intangibles, including sophisticated characterizations, an uncommon humanity, a surprising depth of feeling, and a unique, mature tone. All of those things elevate the movie far above the usual pablum; in fact, they are the mark of a smart, thoughtful, accomplished talent behind the camera. What's nifty isn't the premise; what's nifty is the execution.

What is the uncommon humanity you're referring to? Uncommon for a B movie? Surprising depth of feeling for a B movie? Why is it surprising to you?

(not trying to be hostile - I am genuinely interested in your views on this flick. I agree that it's better than the usual pablum, but that's such a low bar that it doesn't hold much meaning for me. How does it compare to some of the greats?)

Guest Runaway Jim

Yeah, the longer I sit with it, the more I dislike this movie

I have felt this way about Reitman's previous movies. They come on very strong, but fade quickly.

I haven't seen Up in the Air yet, but that's how I felt about Thank You For Smoking and Juno. After my first viewing, I was astonished. I've never been able to sit down and watch either again in full. I just get bored. Nonetheless, I still have fond memories of laughing my fucking ass off the first time I saw them.

Agreed, by far the most touching scene to me was

the scene where Clooney / Bingham gives a pep talk to the groom. So well done, I thought the scene worked on so many levels given Bingham's arc (and he does have an arc). It's exactly the kind of speech his character would have given at that moment.

Casablanca is deservedly considered a classic.

However, I've always thought that Rick's actions at the end of the movie are not consistent with what we were told of his past actions and character.

Interesting. I have always felt what he does at the end is consistent with what we are told about who he used to be, more than who he has become in Casablanca. Laszlo mentions that Rick had run guns to Ethiopia and fought against the Nationalists in the Spanish Civil War. Rick also gives the OK for his house band to play La Marseillaise when the Germans start singing in the bar. I feel like the end of the movie is Rick acknowledging the importance of Laszlo's work and the role that Ilsa plays in it, while also recognizing that he himself has given up on his ideals.

Guest Runaway Jim

Interesting. I have always felt what he does at the end is consistent with what we are told about who he used to be, more than who he has become in Casablanca. Laszlo mentions that Rick had run guns to Ethiopia and fought against the Nationalists in the Spanish Civil War. Rick also gives the OK for his house band to play La Marseillaise when the Germans start singing in the bar. I feel like the end of the movie is Rick acknowledging the importance of Laszlo's work and the role that Ilsa plays in it, while also recognizing that he himself has given up on his ideals.

I would agree with that exactly.

I'm so glad I finally sat down and watched Casablanca. It certainly is deservedly a classic. I absolutely loved it, and I always knew I would.