• Replies 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fear Of a Black Hat

A "mockumentary" about a fictional rap band called NWH (Niggaz Wit' Hats). Some pretty funny gags, but ultimately, as it's a note-for-note ripoff of Spinal Tap, it doesn't quite hold together as a complete film. For instance

Nigel's guitar collection: Taystee's gun collection
    David's girlfriend breaks up Tap: Ice's girlfriend breaks up NWH
    Old Tap videos: Old NWH videos

And on and on...

Still, as I said, there are some pretty good gags and, if you are a fan of 90's rap (gangsta rap, in particular), you may enjoy this one.

Claire Denis' 35 Shots of Rum is one of her most accessible films. Definitely recommended.

Peter Jackson's The Lovely Bones, on the other hand, is junk. It doesn't even attempt to replicate the tone of the book, which I wouldn't mind at all--a film ought to be taken on its own terms--except that the new approach is asinine.

tonight:

hardboiled-dvd.jpg

I fucking love this movie.

I haven't seen Hard-Boiled for more than a decade... I should re-visit that one soon. Chow Yun-Fat back when he was the coolest man alive. (I always liked The Killer a little bit more, though.)

Speaking of John Woo action scenes, did anyone see Red Cliff?

I made it through about 30 minutes before I lost interest. It looked and felt very very low budget. I couldn't get into it.

I wasn't crazy about it either--too much pageantry, too little intrigue. It looked great, though, and I definitely felt that the last 45 minutes were better than the rest.

Donnie Brasco - apparently for the first time. I could've sworn I'd seen this (and even had a pretty low opinion of it), but ...no. Getting old much? Anyway, pretty good flick. Had the look and feel of an actual 70s cop movie.

Guest Ordinary Beehive

Iron Man 2 - I really enjoyed it. Was a bit underwhelmed with the final battle with Whiplash though. It seemed like it was 9 seconds long.

Leap Year - Amy Adams is so cute. I laughed a couple of times. That's a couple more times than I was expecting.

Taking of Pelhem 1-2-3 - I've never seen the original, but this one is ok. Denzel was good. Travolta... well, not so much. Travolta yelling "motherfucker" is just so laughably bad. Also, the Tony Scott style of this movie annoyed me. I like his other movies, but not this one.

The Score - Better than I remembered it.

Very Good acting here...a good flick.

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford is one of the great American movies in recent memory, I think. I actually just finished teaching the movie in a high school course called Film as Social Criticism; we studied it in terms of allegory and what it says about our modern cult of celebrity.

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford is one of the great American movies in recent memory, I think. I actually just finished teaching the movie in a high school course called Film as Social Criticism; we studied it in terms of allegory and what it says about our modern cult of celebrity.

I wholeheartedly agree. Love this film dearly.

Also, I'm curious what films made the cut for your class this year. I have your synopsis on my computer somewhere. And I had a small list of films for you to use.

Guest Ordinary Beehive

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford is one of the great American movies in recent memory

I agree. I also think it has the greatest narration I've ever heard.

I have been on the fence about seeing this movie, but due to some great reviews by people whose opinions I respect, I will hopefully check it out this weekend. I have been in the mood for a good western lately anyway.

On a sidenote, a friend of mine could have been a extra in this movie when they were filming in Winnipeg but he ended up not going. I still give him a hard time about that, haha.

I have been in the mood for a good western lately anyway.

I should note that I didn't really walk away from this film thinking of it in terms of fitting into the traditional sense of a "Western".

The components that make it what I consider to be something special, the acting, the portrayal of the fact an mythology surrounding those characters transcend the setting.

It's been a while since I've seen it, but I remember the first quarter of the film being a slow burn. I was irrevocably drawn into the story whose pieces didn't immediately fit together.

Good call.

The Lady Killers - This was a lot better than I expected. After the bad reviews I wasn't expecting much, but I watched anyway because I love the Coen bros. It was funny, dark, everything you can expect from the Coens. Not my favorite, but a good flick. And the black church choir scenes were awesome! Now I want to be a black church choir singer when I grow up...

Blood Simple - Continuing on my Coen bros. spree... This movie was GREAT. Might be one of my favorite Coen bros flicks. Incredibly dark at times (probably their darkest movie) and it had plenty of the dark Coen bros. humor... The kind of humor that you don't want to laugh but you can't help it..

Guest Ordinary Beehive

The Lady Killers - This was a lot better than I expected. After the bad reviews I wasn't expecting much, but I watched anyway because I love the Coen bros. It was funny, dark, everything you can expect from the Coens. Not my favorite, but a good flick. And the black church choir scenes were awesome! Now I want to be a black church choir singer when I grow up...

Blood Simple - Continuing on my Coen bros. spree... This movie was GREAT. Might be one of my favorite Coen bros flicks. Incredibly dark at times (probably their darkest movie) and it had plenty of the dark Coen bros. humor... The kind of humor that you don't want to laugh but you can't help it..

Blood Simple is either my 4th or 5th favorite Coen bros. movie. I love it. Always have and always will. The Lady Killers ain't great, but I liked it too. I thought the exchanges between Marlon Wayans and JK Simmons were great.

100215_walkaboutbluraycover.jpg

Following last weeks viewing of Andrew Dominik's "The Assassination of Jessie James"...

B000058CBU.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

For those unfamiliar w/ this film (as I was ) that's Eric Bana playing the title character. The film is a fictional take on the life of an Aussie psychopathic criminal/murderer. A little funny and quite disturbing at times. Bana, who undergoes an acute physical transformation during the making of this, is terrific.

Lots of memorable lines of dialog in this one. In fact, a friend watched it this past week and we're already trading them back and forth.

Guest Ordinary Beehive

Edge of Darkness - Not good. Not good at all. Aside from about a 1 minute scene of Mel Gibson shooting people, there is nothing there. Wasn't expecting much, but thought it would at least be ok.

that's Eric Bana playing the title character.

I saw that when it first came out, and it was my introduction to Eric Bana. Later I was stunned to learn that, before Chopper, Bana was best known to Australian audiences as a comedian. Very convincing as a psychopath.