• Replies 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

515MrKrqMIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

"Influence" being the operative word here, this documentary focuses on Wait's primary influences and at what point they have the most obvious impact throughout his career. It's interesting, if not terribly engaging. Waits connection to the various artists touched upon here feels at times like the film's secondary objective. Chapters on Bukowski and Kerouac are weighted heavily with overviews of their work and tend to drag. Still, I learned enough to make me want to explore some of the more obscure artists featured.

Not really something I would normally watch, but, I actually watched House of 1000 Corpses (2003) and The Devil's Rejects (2005) this weekend. Rob Zombie is one messed up dude.

Please Give - a terrific, touching, funny look at class, the elderly, monogamy, teen angst, etc., all delivered with authentic dialogue by perfect actors. Nicole Holofcener is the shit.

db440f1bef78b982_nicole-holofcener-please-gi.jpg

Rob Zombie is one messed up dude.

You want messed up? I watched these two today.

irreversible.jpg

stand_alone.jpg

No light hearted summer movies these.

No light hearted summer movies these.

You watched those back-to-back? Good grief. (I like one a lot more than the other, but neither one is easy viewing. Reminds me of the time an old friend attended a festival of films by his favorite director, Ingmar Bergman, but came back feeling suicidal.)

00023990.jpg

Coppola's Tetro is plenty interesting--and beautiful to look at--but I'm not sure it really amounts to much.

Shrek Forever After

Maybe a little oversentimental, with a heavy-handed moral. (You never know what you have until it's gone.) But still well-done with some very funny moments. I did enjoy it and, cheeseball that I am, I even got a little misty-eyed toward the end. Damnit. Well worth taking the kids to see. But if you don't have kids in the 4 to 10 year range, it's probably not worth your while or your money. And the 3D was very good, and (unlike the sentimentality) NOT done with a heavy hand; just added a lot to the look of an already great-looking movie.

SEA BEAST

on SyFy

In the fishing village of Cedar Bay, terror lies within the water. And now it has surfaced in search of something more substantial to devour than marine life: human flesh. A captain and a sea biologist must wage a terrifying battle against the deadly creatures in order to save mankind from total extinction.

• 4 weeks later...

paisa.jpg

Yesterday I watched Roberto Rossellini's Paisan, which is a series of vignettes depicting Italian characters interacting with occupying forces--mostly American--as WWII winds to a close. The idea is to deliver a portrait of war comprised of the stories that are usually pushed off to the side, such as an innocent villager taken as a guide, or priests who agree to house several Army chaplains for a spell, or a young pickpocket who steals the boots of a drunk American M.P. Apart from the wooden acting--the neorealistic style includes non-professional actors--the movie has a compelling verisimilitude.

Last night: The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans - about as nutty as a fruitcake. I liked it.

I am going to watch that soon, very, very soon.

Last night: The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans - about as nutty as a fruitcake. I liked it.

Agreed. It was quite the tag team of nuttiness to have Cage and Val Kilmer. Admittedly, I lost interest in the last 20 or so minutes, but Cage was great in his role.

Bones_title_card.png

I've been watching Season One on Netflix with D-man and Downtown

Saw this one with the kids at the Gene Siskel Film Center yesterday:

The Secret of Kells

Young Brendan lives in a remote medieval outpost under siege from barbarian raids. But a new life of adventure beckons when a celebrated master illuminator arrives from foreign lands carrying an ancient but unfinished book, brimming with secret wisdom and powers. To help complete the magical book, Brendan has to overcome his deepest fears on a dangerous quest that takes him into the enchanted forest where mythical creatures hide. It is here that he meets the fairy Aisling, a mysterious young wolf-girl, who helps him along the way. But with the barbarians closing in, will Brendan's determination and artistic vision illuminate the darkness and show that enlightenment is the best fortification against evil?

Better description than I could have written.

Anyway, it is a gorgeous movie, that is well-worth seeing. Excellent for children, ages 7+, but younger kids may be scared by some of the images. The look of the movies is obviously influenced by the style of illustration that is central to the story, but the storytelling style is fantastical and whimsical in the same way as a Miyazaki movie.

Both boys instantly proclaimed it among their favorite movies of all-time. ("Even better than The Matrix!")