• Replies 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw this again last night and it was even better the second time! Terry Gilliam's brilliant mind/ imagination + Tom Waits' amazing portrayal of the devil= :worship! I honestly loved everthing about the film! Go see it!!!

16259_105185979980_46903979980_647973_3375445_n.jpg

Guest Runaway Jim

Extract - Pretty funny. Bateman was good.

District 9 - Pretty damn awesome. Probably ranks near the very top of my list of favorites from 2009 (so far).

Last 2 films watched:

strawberry_statement.jpg 12475875021991typb300dp.jpg

The Strawberry Statement

1991: The Year Punk Broke

Well, though I'm not done with Volver (have a half hour to go), I want to help get this thread to a new page so I don't see Bobcat Goldthwait's (though I take your word he's a good director) open-mouthed mug everytime I click in here:

_volver3_jpg_8806d.jpg

LOL

Last movie seen: Youth In Revolt....I LOVED it. I haven't read the books, so I don't know if any changes were done.

It felt like it has the makings of being a cult classic.

It was fresh, original, and made me laugh and connect with the characters.

Youth-In-Revolt-Photo.jpg

Francois Dillinger is amazing!

Seriously? That movie is good? It looks terrible.

u2 puts it over the top for me - I'll see this. I've read similar reviews among the trashing.

My best friend also loved it too. I thought it was going to be ok, since it's been bumped around release schedules for 2 years or so.

It's best described as a cross between Better Off Dead meets Rushmore via Fight Club. Francois Dillinger is kind of like Tyler Durden.

I'll admit that the 1st 15 minutes or so were slow, but it felt like a necessity to make you feel that their world was so mundane. Once the ball gets rolling, it doesn't stop. There were more than a handful of scenes and lines that my best friend and I were going over before we parted ways.

Mortelle-randonn%C3%A9e.jpg

8.5/10 - A totally enjoyable and slightly bizarre French thriller.

Daybreakers - :thumbup I really was looking forward to this for quite some time. I'm not a vampire lover, but this movie looked amazing in its' rich architecture, cinematography, color palette & lighting. I can safely say that this film did not disappoint. There was one legitimate scare that really was unlike anything I'd seen in a long time. It was mostly due to the non use of CGI and the use of a man in an "advanced/mutated" vampire suit. The sound design was very well done too (a lot of sounds of bats and other scary stuff to heighten the mood). Also, the score seemed really sure of itself (sounds crazy I know). It reminded me of a cross between a 90s Spielberg "spectacle" and any horror film in the past 50 years.

The overall look of the film reminded me a lot of Gattaca & Dark City. The 1st 45 minutes or so were all set during the night time and used only white, gray, and a little bit of red here and there to give it an authentic look. Also, the use of glass in the buildings really made things stand out.

daybreakers10.jpg

As soon as the action shifted to the humans, the color palette changed to earthy browns and gold. It almost felt like another film and another world. And this was a great thing. Ethan Hawke, Willem Dafoe, & most of all Sam Neill turn in pretty good performances.

If you aren't aware of the plot, I will gladly tell it to you. In 2019, vampires are the majority of the population on the Earth after an epidemic in 2009. Humans are hunted down and "farmed" for their blood and there aren't many of them left. The big and almost blatantly obvious allegory to the oil situation is all in the subtext. I found the "cure" for being a vampire to be a bit more of a commentary on our culture. For me everything worked in this film and was a fun, entertaining, smart & well made film.

Edit: LOL Oh yeah. One big thing I forgot. There's quite a bit of suggestions of drinking (or even draining) blood from someone. I'm not a big fan of watching blood being drawn, but I made it through this. A bit bloody in the 1st half and then it tones down and becomes more of an overall blood fest which is somehow better? :blink

Saw Public Enemies yesterday. In terms of production design, it's a masterpiece. In terms of the script, it's a ragged, muddled, strictly amateur effort. In terms of the directing and editing, it was a mess and very difficult to follow. In terms of the acting ... it was competent on the whole, and I liked the persona that Depp projected, but that accent of his just wasn't right for a guy who grew up in Indianapolis.

On top of all that, the audio mix was muddy, at least on the copy we watched. We had to back up and turn on the subtitles a couple of times just to understand what was being said.

Overall, I was quite disappointed. A beautiful but incoherent film.