Wilco - Baltimore - Lyric Opera House - 12/14/2008

Just got back from this show, and I'm still tingling with excitement. Maybe the best live show I've seen. My memory is terrible, though, so I'm wondering if anyone can post the correct set list. If no one steps up, I'll try and piece it together with what I know, but I'll butcher it. Also, I'd love to hear from the guys who had a microphone hanging from the front of the balcony. ;)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, one of the "looser" WILCO shows I've ever seen. Guys all seemed to be having a lot of fun.

Highlights for me included: It's Just That Simple, Box Full Of Letters, California Stars, IATTBYH morphing into Spiders, and Jeff getting a neck brace from a gentleman in the crowd and wearing it throughout Kingpin.

I was the one on crutches by the way, don't think I squashed anyone's toes... :-)

Alright, I'm too excited about this show to try and wait for a set list. Here's my attempt. Maybe it'll help jog someone else's memory, and they can fill in the blanks. Sorry for the errors it inevitably contains:

???

War on War

Handshake Drugs

Impossible Germany

I am Trying to Break Your Heart

Spiders

Hate it Here

Walken

I'm the Man Who Loves You

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Via Chicago

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Late Greats

Heavy Metal Drummer

Also played: Hummingbird, Jesus Etc... somewhere in there.

What I'm most curious about is the song they opened with. I don't have every album, so maybe it was just something from an older album I'm not familiar with, but I had the feeling it was newer material they're working on. Feel free to correct me!

And it was a very loose show, what with Jeff getting distracted by "The Wire" and skipping some lyrics on Jesus Etc... But I liked the vibe. I think I enjoy it more when a band gets more personable, and really interacts with the crowd.

What I'm most curious about is the song they opened with. I don't have every album, so maybe it was just something from an older album I'm not familiar with, but I had the feeling it was newer material they're working on. Feel free to correct me!

Sunken Treasure.

Your setlist is also missing(not sure of the order so I will let someone else chime in):

You Are My Face

Box Full of Letters

Just That Simple

Shot in the Arm

Kingpin

Forget the Flowers

California Stars

Red Eyed and Blue ->

I Got You

Outtasite(Outtamind)

The highlight for me was IATTBYH-> Spiders. Via Chicago was also really, really well played tonight. Also liked hearing Box Full of Letters. I thought some of the more dissonant songs/parts were the musical highlights of the evening.

Might be off a song or two, but I'm pretty sure this is the setlist

Sunken Treasure

You Are My Face

War On War

Handshake Drugs

Impossible Germany

It's Just That Simple

Forget The Flowers

Box Full Of Letters

Jesus Etc.

I Am Trying To Break Your Heart

Spiders

Hummingbird

A Shot In The Arm

Hate It Here

Walken

I'm The Man Who Loves You

----

Via Chicago

California Stars

Kingpin (with neckbrace)

----

The Late Greats

Heavy Metal Drummer

Red-Eyed and Blue

I Got You

Outtasite

Another great show tonight. My 4th time seeing the band, and while not the best (DC night 1 in February takes that cake), it was still a lot of fun. As said, the show was really loose, and the band was having a lot of fun. The "It's Just That Simple" "Forget The Flowers" "Box Full Of Letters" run was fantastic and unexpected, and "Via Chicago" sounded fantastic. Jeff noticeably flubbed on "Jesus Etc" and after the song said he lost his place because he's really been into The Wire recently and was wondering if Omar was at the show.

the jammery tonight was electric! nels shred up a storm, pat was a tambourine man, and jeff's "neck brace from the audience" comedy was too hilarious. pat took a polaroid just in time, priceless :D

favorites included war on war, handshake drugs, forget the flowers, spiders, california stars, and most especially, kingpin! soo goood for feeling the love!

a beautiful celebration in a city of character. happy holidays, wilco, neil young and friends!

Sunken Treasure

You Are My Face

War On War

Handshake Drugs

Impossible Germany

It's Just That Simple

Forget The Flowers

Box Full Of Letters

Jesus Etc.

Spiders

Hummingbird

A Shot In The Arm

Hate It Here

Walken

----

Via Chicago

California Stars

Kingpin (with neckbrace)

----

The Late Greats

Heavy Metal Drummer

Red-Eyed and Blue

I Got You

Outtasite

Another great show tonight. My 4th time seeing the band, and while not the best (DC night 1 in February takes that cake), it was still a lot of fun. As said, the show was really loose, and the band was having a lot of fun. The "It's Just That Simple" "Forget The Flowers" "Box Full Of Letters" run was fantastic and unexpected, and "Via Chicago" sounded fantastic. Jeff noticeably flubbed on "Jesus Etc" and after the song said he lost his place because he's really been into The Wire recently and was wondering if Omar was at the show.

This is the set list that I have written down, too. Great show!

Sunken Treasure

You Are My Face

War On War

Handshake Drugs

Impossible Germany

It's Just That Simple

Forget The Flowers

Box Full Of Letters

Jesus Etc.

Spiders

Hummingbird

A Shot In The Arm

Hate It Here

Walken

----

Via Chicago

California Stars

Kingpin (with neckbrace)

----

The Late Greats

Heavy Metal Drummer

Red-Eyed and Blue

I Got You

Outtasite

All in all, this was a really solid show. Despite not having really anything that I haven't heard live, it is probably in my top 3 for favorite shows by them. I'm a "Bawlmer" boy, so this was definitely special for me, with all the references to The Wire, and in Kingpin ("...Maryland"). However, for me the most awe-inspiring, freakout moment came with IATTBYH>Spiders. WOW! Incredible.

Also, since no one has mentioned him, I'd like to say that while he hasn't been the best opener for Wilco, Benjy Ferree was pretty good. Once you get over his awkward banter "Peace and Love, Peace, Peace, Peace and Love!", his music was quite good. I picked up the LP and when I got home played side 1 while checking email and am definitely adding his new record to my queue to buy when it comes out in 09.

Super great time, beautiful venue, and of course an amazing band.

BTW--did anyone else see the street vendors selling whippets (not the dog...) after the show? Haha.

One of the best Wilco shows I've seen, aside from maybe DC #1. The sound was insanely good. My highlightes were IATTBYH --> Spiders. Sitting up in the balcony on Nels' side, I've never realized how hard Glenn hits the skins. It was the perfect view. Plus the general excitement of the band was beautiful. Jeff was in a great mood which makes for an entertaining and interesting time. 4 Wilco shows in 2008. They were too good to me!

first show i've ever had to sit down for. we were way up in the balcony, but we stood up and danced for the encores. it's hard to rock out in your seat!

jeff was hilarious tonight! looking forward to neck brace pictures.

I've been checking all these setlists. Thanks to all those posting the sets and reviews!

Wilco is no doubt on fire right now and can play all these usual songs to thrilling perfection.

But anyone else longing for the shows in 2009 that will surely have at least 5-10 new songs?

Personally, if I get to see them in the Spring or Summer, I'd be OK if they didn't play one song that's on a past album.

This band is too creative and talented to be playing the same 50 songs over and over and over and over.....

kindasorta know what you're saying about new material.

on the other hand, last night was the first show for my 14 year old son ( he missed wilmington- was in california)

so i was hoping for the setlist they delivered.

my son really really dug the show. l

ike most first timers he was not expecting the ferocious power the band seems able to display at will.

recordings do not do justice

great energy and band interaction

wonderful acoustics

kind (if not a bit mellow) crowd

funfunfun

But anyone else longing for the shows in 2009 that will surely have at least 5-10 new songs?

Yes! I had a great time last night, and Wilco never disappoints me when I see them live... but I was slightly surprised that I knew every word to every song and there weren't even any covers during the encore. I can't wait for new material!

great show and super acoustics (imagine that, it's an opera house)

some grainey videos I put up on youtube in case you missed it. i haven't had a chacne to watch and re-name with song titles yet. should have jeff's "the wire" and neckbrace dialogue

We have an excellent video of Jeff with the neckbrace on, which should be on YouTube within the coming days. Hands down on the funniest things I've ever seen at a show. Although the bra thrown on stage during HMD in DC was priceless.

kind (if not a bit mellow) crowd

funfunfun

agreed.

not a lot of talking, and everybody seemed to be interested. but geez! get up and rock out! like i said earlier, this was the first show i've had to sit down for. every other time i've seen wilco, i've been in the front couple rows. not as much energy up in the balcony. but i enjoyed the show nonetheless. wilco always rocks.

IATTBYH -> Spiders :blink Awesome!

I cannot wait to hear this.

A quick scan of Wilcobase confirms this is only the second time this transition has happened. So, I should ask those that were at the show, was this as spectacular as I'm making it out to be in my head? Because these are two of the most spectacular live songs they have, and the way IATTBYH dissolves into nothingness and Spiders rises out of the noise and smoke into a chugging 12 minute anthem...wow. Thoughts?

A quick scan of Wilcobase confirms this is only the second time this transition has happened. So, I should ask those that were at the show, was this as spectacular as I'm making it out to be in my head? Because these are two of the most spectacular live songs they have, and the way IATTBYH dissolves into nothingness and Spiders rises out of the noise and smoke into a chugging 12 minute anthem...wow. Thoughts?

That was fucking amazing. Pardon my french but the expletive is completely necessary. I've never seen them rock Spiders that hard in the shows I've been to. Glenn and Nels were just WAILING away. I liked that more than Poor Places --> Spiders. Just magical.

It really was. I'm pregnant and tired as hell these days but, Christ, I was up dancing my ass off. Cannot wait to hear a bootleg of this show!

I was in Row B on the floor, standing the whole show...

I just kinda think the Balcony lends itself to "sitters" since it is farther back...

yeah. we did the presale and still got way-back-there balcony seats. nothing will ever beat the front row wilco shows i've been to.