Wilco - Baltimore - Lyric Opera House - 12/14/2008

That was fucking amazing. Pardon my french but the expletive is completely necessary. I've never seen them rock Spiders that hard in the shows I've been to. Glenn and Nels were just WAILING away. I liked that more than Poor Places --> Spiders. Just magical.

One of the best live Wilco moments I've witnessed. It was something so different for them, really could see and hear them experimenting. Very cool. I just got back home to Wisconsin. I put up a review of sorts - reading the comments, looks like everyone saw/felt the same. Some commentators complained about the sound, particularly the drums. I didn't notice myself.

http://www.muzzleofbees.com/2008/12/15/rev...ouse-baltimore/

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of 30 plus shows, I've only ever been in the balcony on a few occasions, last night included and indeed it is an entirely different experience. The venue itself had a very old-timey feel to it with a 3/4 wrap balcony that was deep all the way around and packed to the rafters. As someone who is almost always on the floor and would always prefer to stand and rock out, it just sort of makes sense to sit in the balcony. When the whole audience finally did stand for the encores, I almost got dizzy. You certainly can't move around that much for fear of falling down several rows. Seeing the whole band at once and witnessing the interplay and the band feeding off of one another is really cool as well, as opposed to on the stage when you tend to focus on one person at a time. The acoustics as mentioned were great. Sunken Treasure just filled every inch of the room. The setlist variety was very good, with every album represented and Being There leading the pack. I was a bit surprised that we didn't hear any new songs, but no real complaints. Thanks for the tix Jen.

The crowd was very mellow--which was a nice change as no one around me was talking at all--which I really appreciated. Not too many obnoxious drunks either. The sound in the balcony was terrific. With everyone sitting down in the balcony it was a little different experience than usual, but I did not mind it so much as it really gave me a chance to focus on watching the band perform.

IATTBYH->Spiders was just plain AWESOME. There was a lot of repetition from recent shows I have seen but this made my evening. If the rumor holds true that the next album is going to be a little more experimental/playing with crazy sounds/efx I think we could be in for a real treat. Like I mentioned early all the tunes that had dissonant/spaced out parts were terrifically played. I thought they really nailed the dynamic differences from the soft to loud parts in Via Chicago last night.

just got my source up as well:

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=521015

Wilco

December 14, 2008

Lyric Opera House

Baltimore, Maryland

**16 bit source**

Source: B&K4022(ortf)>Sonosax>744T

Transfer: 744T>cd wave>wavelab(fades/resample/UV22)>flac

Taped & transferred by Craig Davis

One Set:

Disc One:

01 Sunken Treasure

02 You Are My Face

03 War On War

04 Handshake Drugs

05 Impossible Germany

06 It's Just That Simple

07 Forget The Flowers

08 Box Full Of Letters

09 Jesus Etc.

10 I Am Trying To Break Your Heart >

11 Spiders (Kidsmoke)

12 Hummingbird

13 A Shot In The Arm

14 Hate It Here

Disc Two:

01 Walken

02 I'm The Man Who Loves You

Encore One:

03 Via Chicago

04 California Stars

05 Kingpin*

Encore Two:

06 The Late Greats

07 Heavy Metal Drummer

08 Red-Eyed and Blue >

09 I Got You

10 Outtasite (Outta Mind)

Notes:

* Jeff wearing neckbrace

a friend converted & tagged my source to mp3:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/oxw69e

'a gift given accidently'

thank you all. 3rd show and the best one ive seen (beats out sydney 2007)! the band was having a blast the audience was pumped for a sunday and the transitions, segues, and tapered jams all sounded really good in that room. bring on 2009 and a new album ... i cant wait