MLB 2008-09 Hot Stove II

Sure. Do you want to set one of them up? I'd like to try that...I've always done the 5x5

What does 5x5 mean? Only thing I have ever done is the roto league like we had last year. I think it would be fun to have an opponent every week.

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

H/H is the route to go. The roto is pretty much set in stone after the firt 5-6 weeks.

that's what i gathered from last year. It seems like it would be more fun to be able to talk smack to folks like you every week.

In my experience, roto is much better than head-to-head though I do one of each every year. I've seen huge swings in roto -- if your league standings are set after six weeks, then you're doing something wrong. I've seen teams lead nearly wire to wire only to end up in 3rd. I've seen teams rise from 8th to first in the last few weeks of the season. Head-to-head rewards lucky weeks much more than excellence throughout the season, and if you coasted into the playoffs with a bunch of top end pitchers who are on real life playoff teams, you're likely to get screwed in your fantasy playoffs when all of your best arms see limited innings late in the year to rest for the real life playoffs.

Hmm. I do both every year as well (for the past 7-8 years) and have never seen much swing in roto. Sure, there are standings shifts throughout the season but once people settle in to their tiers I don't see them change much. It's not just in a particular league, either.

Maybe I need to join your league....

It doesn't happen every year -- I've been in leagues where the standings didn't change much too. But I've seen things change enough too to know that static standings are not inherent to the format.

By the way, since Jeff Kent's retirement has already been mentioned, hall of famer? I say yes.

Is Bonds racist? He's certainly an asshole but I don't know that he's racist.

Well, he's certainly very concerned about his race and how he is treated because of it, and has said some things that could definitely be construed as such.

I would say that race certainly played a huge part in why he and Kent hated each other so much, and I don't think it was one sided.

Of course, this is all speculation.