MLB 2008-09 Hot Stove II

I remember when this thread use to be about baseball not in fighting, name calling and pointless arguing.

Let's bring it back to baseball and more importantly to the Chicago Cubs. Items I would like to be discussed

1) Milton Bradley's spot in the 2009 Cubs lineup: I say between Lee and Amram, so the lineup would look like this Alf, Fukudome, Lee, Bradley, Amram, Soto, Theroit, Lil Babe Ruth, Pitcher

2) The fifth starter spot for the Cubs (Marshall? Someman via addition?)

3) Why the NL is superior to the AL (not in players, but in watchabilty of the game)

so there

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3) Why the NL is superior to the AL (not in players, but in watchabilty of the game)

Opinion, of course, but I'll assume better "watchability" to you means lower scoring games, watching a pitcher strike out a few time per game, and more finagling of runs? I like watching both leagues play and appreciate the overall reliability on strategy that is necessary in the NL over the AL (broadly speaking, of course) but also enjoy a game with DHs affecting games, too.

It's harder to manage a NL team, I'd imagine, but this doesn't necessarily translate to me that NL games are inherently more enjoyable to watch. Just my take, anyway.

Opinion, of course, but I'll assume better "watchability" to you means lower scoring games, watching a pitcher strike out a few time per game, and more finagling of runs? I like watching both leagues play and appreciate the overall reliability on strategy that is necessary in the NL over the AL (broadly speaking, of course) but also enjoy a game with DHs affecting games, too.

It's harder to manage a NL team, I'd imagine, but this doesn't necessarily translate to me that NL games are inherently more enjoyable to watch. Just my take, anyway.

I have to agree, it feels more old school in the NL but sometimes it's just painful to watch a pitcher try to bat. They each have their own flavor. I miss the Bay Area sometimes, I could choose between Giants or A's depending on mood.

Unrelated to league rules and styles of play, I would also offer that at this particular point in baseball history, there is more talent in the American League. Plenty of awesome players in the NL too, just not as many, and more crappy ones too.

Unrelated to league rules and styles of play, I would also offer that at this particular point in baseball history, there is more talent in the American League. Plenty of awesome players in the NL too, just not as many, and more crappy ones too.

Wouldn't you credit this though, at least partially, to the DH slot that allows sluggers to extend their careers? The AL seems to sign veteran players more, as well. Money in NYY/BOS/ANA, etc. doesn't hurt. Interleague play shows that AL teams dominate (at least the past 4-5 years) over NL teams. I'm sure pitching/fielding come in to play heavily, here, as well as AL park v. NL parks, but the offense has to be a big part of that, too.

if there are more hits for Rice is a nice guy, then statistically, wouldn't that say that more people think he's a nice guy than think he's an asshole?

It depends on proper statistical analysis. The search "jim rice" "nice guy" (making sure that guy follows nice and rice follows jim) has slightly fewer results than "jim rice" asshole. Otherwise you get a lot of noise with sites that have some jabber about a guy and a comment about a nice frisbee. In fact, the top "nice guy" results suggest that he isn't a nice guy at all. :dancing

1) Milton Bradley's spot in the 2009 Cubs lineup: I say between Lee and Amram, so the lineup would look like this Alf, Fukudome, Lee, Bradley, Amram, Soto, Theroit, Lil Babe Ruth, Pitcher

I'd never seen this nickname before and had to Google to see if this particular sickness is widespread -- it is. :no

Feb 14 is what they are reporting on radio around here.

And only 30 days until the Rangers are eliminated.

I think my main reason for being unthrilled is that this move may prevent them from making other, better moves to shore up the starting staff. I don't think Colon can be relied on to fill a spot in the rotation effectively for a whole season ... or even half a season.

I think my main reason for being unthrilled is that this move may prevent them from making other, better moves to shore up the starting staff. I don't think Colon can be relied on to fill a spot in the rotation effectively for a whole season ... or even half a season.

True, though there's not much out there at this point. And they have indicated that they're pretty much where they're going to be in terms of salary. The only way they'd pick up a good veteran starting pitcher at this point is if they moved Dye.

Edit: the alternative is/was probably Sweaty Freddy.

Double edit: looks like they still may get Freddy. And Contreras could be back at some point in mid-season. It'll be the old, bad, and injured pitcher reunion tour.

I have to agree, it feels more old school in the NL but sometimes it's just painful to watch a pitcher try to bat. They each have their own flavor. I miss the Bay Area sometimes, I could choose between Giants or A's depending on mood.

This is one of the main reasons I dislike interleague play. AL pitchers should only have to humiliate themselves once a year. At the end. Of course interleague does allow fans to see a few more teams, so I guess that's good.

I think the style of play and general ideas about team and lineup construction in the NL is less conducive to winning baseball (thus their poor record in interleague), but it makes for a far more exciting, watchable game in my opinion.

For instance, teams like the Yankees and Red Sox, who are extremely good, rely on home runs, walking, and seeing a ton of pitches. They are exceptionally good at baseball because of this, but it leads to very boring games, because they go on forever with each batter seeing a bunch of pitches and fouling them off. I despise the small ball type of play because I think you end up giving up more outs than runs scored, but I won't deny that it's far more entertaining to watch a guy like Jose Reyes than David Ortiz.

"Far more" enjoyable? I notice the difference in play from both leagues (generally speaking) but at the end of the game it's still baseball. I enjoy watching both leagues and particlarly interleague play.

Obviously, with the caveat of IMO...

The most exciting event in baseball (and I've seen my share of baseball) is the moment after the ball leaves the bat of Jose Reyes for the gap. The entire stadium inhales deeply (you can hear it), Reyes makes the turn at first, and everyone waits for the play (if there even is one) at 3rd base. Then everyone exhales and goes crazy. Nothing beats a jose reyes triple at a packed Shea. It is (was) awesome.

"in my opinion"?

Yes, it's baseball, but I find the strategy in the NL and slap hitting, base stealing, scrapping, hustly, hearty play of the NL to be more entertaining to watch. It's not necessarily better baseball, but to me there is a major difference, and I definitely prefer the NL.

Of course, I was raised on NL baseball, and I really got into baseball in the early part of this decade when the Marlins were all about that small ball stuff. Especially the 2003 world series team.

I'll agree with Matt, except substitute Hanley for Reyes. Personal preference, of course, but the general point is the same.