MLB 2008-09 Hot Stove II

Derek Lowe to Atlanta. Thank god.

For the sake of fuck, Omar. I am seriously beginning to wonder why I do not start rooting for the Yankees, who seem to give a shit about their fans more than the Mets do.

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the sake of fuck, Omar. I am seriously beginning to wonder why I do not start rooting for the Yankees, who seem to give a shit about their fans more than the Mets do.

At least, they have that sweeeeeeeet new sleeve patch this year for you -- the fan.

Cryptique, just because you are completely clueless about the wealth of statistical information out there doesn't mean that there aren't quantifiable ways to show a players offensive and defensive contributions. Yes, even defensive statistics have come a long way in recent years so that it could account for a player's abilities in the field (which is another knock against Rice).

I'm of the opinion that if you need to use unquantifiable arguments about the actual play on the field, then he can't be a hall of famer. If you can say that Rice had some greater contribution to the game of baseball off the field, ala Clemente or Robinson, then yeah, intangible the shit out of his HOF credentials. But what happened on the field happened. That I never saw him play doesn't change the fact that he simply wasn't good for long enough. His case is the opposite of Andre Dawson's, who was merely good for a huge amount of years, whereas Rice was great for a short window.

And if you want, I can shoot a big ass, gaping fucking hole in your "had to watch them" argument. The award that is, more than any other, based on "having to watch a player" is the gold glove, and that is probably the single most awful award in all of sports. To anyone with half a fucking brain, it means absolutely nothing. Here's why:

Gold Glove Winners in recent years:

Rafael Palmiero (in a season he played 31 games in the field.)

Derek Jeter (THREE FUCKING TIMES!!!)

Michael Young

Nate McLouth

Adrian Gonzalez (Over Pujols!)

Jason Varitek (who coincidentally won it the year he had his best year at the plate and was the "leader" of the defending world champions)

And there are dozens more absolutely terrible choices. When we base everything on what we've seen, we are going to be mislead because we are judging based on a massive amount of information that our brains can't possibly remember or process. You are going to remember the dramatic and extreme events you witnessed and forget the mundane. For example, with Rice, you are going to remember that he was a feared hitter, but you won't even look at the fact that he grounded into the 6th most double plays of all time (and all of the guys ahead of him played for much, much longer). He cost his team an extra 315 outs in his career that don't show up anywhere else on his stat line.

That is one of those small details that you'll never bother to look at, but which is an extremely important aspect of the game nonetheless. And with someone who is as borderline as he is, I'll take real shit that actually happened on the field over your fuzzy memories of him, thanks.

How about this, if anybody here can give me a solid reason for why Rice deserves to be in the Hall of Fame but Albert Belle gets knocked out on the first time he's on the ballot, I'll concede that Rice deserves to be there as the 21st left fielder ever.

And that patch, too. Holy shit. What lazy fucker came up with that, and what even lazier fucker did not fire his ass the moment he submitted it? That's the equivalent of me writing a story about a fire that reads like this.

Fire

There was a fire.

-30-

Rice was associated with a variety of charitable organizations during his career, primarily on behalf of children, some of which have carried on into his retirement. He was named an honorary chairman of The Jimmy Fund, the fundraising arm of the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute in Boston, in 1979,[4] and in 1992 was awarded that organization's "Jimmy Award", which honors individuals who have demonstrated their dedication to cancer research.[5] Rice is also active in his support of the Neurofibromatosis Foundation of New England.[6] Rice's involvement with Major League Baseball's RBI program (Reviving Baseball in Inner Cities) resulted in the naming of a new youth baseball facility in Roxbury, Massachusetts in his honor in 1999.[7] A youth recreation center in Rice's hometown of Anderson, South Carolina is also named in his honor. Rice's most notable humanitarian accomplishment occurred during a nationally televised game on August 7, 1982, when he rushed into the stands to help a young boy who had been struck in the head by a line drive off the bat of Dave Stapleton. As other players and spectators watched, Rice left the dugout and entered the stands to help 4-year old Jonathan Keane, who was bleeding heavily. Rice carried the boy onto the field, through the Red Sox dugout and into the clubhouse, where the young boy could be treated by the team's medical staff. Team doctor Arthur Pappas later said that Rice's actions may have saved the boy's life.[8]

I'm not that worked up. I'm just bored and like arguing. How many times do I have to say this?

But seriously you jump in say you're point and then when I actually respond you just cover your ears and say "nope, I'm not really going to discuss this."

And you're last sentence is like a celebration of your ignorance. Good job.

Not you, Bunkster.

I wish someone would celebrate my ignorance.

I do, Jules. Every single day.

How about this, if anybody here can give me a solid reason for why Rice deserves to be in the Hall of Fame but Albert Belle gets knocked out on the first time he's on the ballot, I'll concede that Rice deserves to be there as the 21st left fielder ever.

I like that I added this part, because I know nobody will respond to it, because even though they are basically the same player (Belle was much better for a shorter period, but it pretty much evens out), nobody has childhood memories of Belle that they can't let go of.

I think he certainly deserves a look. Is he even on the ballot any more?

Failed to stay on the ballot after his first year. Which is why I asked why Rice deserves to be in but Belle shouldn't even be on the ballot.