MLB 2008-09 Hot Stove II

I was wondering the other day if when people complain about contracts with NYC teams, do they take into account the higher cost of living there? And not just New York. A contract with the Yankees is worth less, per dollar than one with the Marlins because the Marlins have a lower tax rate.

Just wondering aloud because I think it's interesting. Contracts probably shouldn't be taken in a vaccuum, like most things in baseball.

You're really reaching here. Yes, the cost of living in New York is absurdly high, but a player making $1 million per year is doing really well in that town, never mind a player making $25 million. The Yankees aren't throwing that kind of money around just because it's expensive to live there.

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're really reaching here. Yes, the cost of living in New York is absurdly high, but a player making $1 million per year is doing really well in that town, never mind a player making $25 million. The Yankees aren't throwing that kind of money around just because it's expensive to live there.

I wasn't using that as a justification of the Yankees throwing around money. I was just saying that a contract in one place isn't worth as much in all places.

I was wondering the other day if when people complain about contracts with NYC teams, do they take into account the higher cost of living there? And not just New York. A contract with the Yankees is worth less, per dollar than one with the Marlins because the Marlins have a lower tax rate.

Just wondering aloud because I think it's interesting. Contracts probably shouldn't be taken in a vaccuum, like most things in baseball.

But, New York isn't the most expensive place on earth. You can live there quite easily without a car, for example therefore lowering your overhead, but try that in LA. It is very expensive to live in Washington DC and Northern Virginia and San Francisco. So no, I certainly don't take the cost of living into consideration when thinking about how much the Yankees spend on players.

BTW, the Detroit Tigers are #3 on the list of who has the biggest payroll and somehow I doubt it is because of the cost of living in Detroit.

Not only that but most ball players do not claim the town in which they play ball as their primary residence so chances are they aren't paying income taxes there anyway. Property taxes maybe, but not income.

Not only that but most ball players do not claim the town in which they play ball as their primary residence so chances are they aren't paying income taxes there anyway. Property taxes maybe, but not income.

In some cities you have to pay income tax if you work there, even if you don't live there.

I have no idea if this is the case in New York.

In some cities you have to pay income tax if you work there, even if you don't live there.

I have no idea if this is the case in New York.

You may pay them, but then you get to deduct them (generally) at tax time and really only pay one state's worth of income taxes. I do not think that you have to pay income tax in two states and not get most of it back, but I'm not a tax professional. I have, however, lived and worked in different states and that was the case. I also have a hot trophy husband so its like being a baseball player.

BTW, the Detroit Tigers are #3 on the list of who has the biggest payroll and somehow I doubt it is because of the cost of living in Detroit.

Incidentally, Detroit is a city that does have an income tax for non-residents who work in the city. It's not very much though.

Nope, its because we have to overpay just to get anyone to come here :thumbup

Incidentally, Detroit is a city that does have an income tax for non-residents who work in the city. It's not very much though.

Yeah, its not much. Just enough to keep former mayors in prison blues!

And you don't get to deduct it on another part of your taxes?

Nope. Its also one of the few cities in America where, for certain jobs, you must live in the city to qualify for employment. And they vary wildly. Certain judges have to live in the city, others don't. To work a minimum wage job at he Detroit Institute of Arts you have to live in the city. But to pitch for the Tigers, you can live in Miami Beach. Its weird.

If Smoltz can bounce back he's solid in the middle for relief. Baldelli is a very nice signing as an extra OF that can play all three spots and we can only assume his health issues are being met due to this signing. He's got a solid bat and should see plenty of time as the 4th OF.

Awesome.

Couple finds 1869 baseball card of first professional team (Cincinnati Red Legs)

Cool story, but I thought this was kind of uncalled for:

She dug into a box and pulled out a baseball card. She stopped for a moment and admired the picture. "Red Stocking B.B. Club of Cincinnati," the card read, under a sepia tone photo of 10 men with their socks pulled up to their knees. The card, not unlike Bernice, was dirty and wrinkled in a few places.

I am excited about Baldelli. I'm a sucker for the whole local boy with mitrochondria disorder comes back to play for favoritest team ever. Word to the wise: don't let him play softball in the off season please. kthxbai.

I saw that. I say it's yet to be determined how they use him, though.

I thought i read somewhere that a lot depends on his rehab and when he's ready. I've always liked him--seems like a good guy. It must be hard to leave the Braves, knowing that you're clearly going to be retiring somewhere else, after having been there your entire career. I think if I was a braves fan I'd be pretty pissed off...

I think if I was a braves fan I'd be pretty pissed off...

Hi!

Chipper is really pissed at the Braves that they didn't do more to keep him. I agree. They should have done whatever it took to keep him. He'sstill a gamble, but what else do you have to do to earn that kind of respect.

This is a great winter to be a Braves fan. :stunned