Freddie Hubbard

Bummer. One of my favorites. A quick check of iTunes shows I have 22 Hubbard albums. That even surprised me, but I went on a Hubbard kick while I was studying jazz at Manhattan School of Music. He's put out some great stuff (and some real cheese). I'll put on some of the great stuff now. :(

Damn. :ohwell

One of the greatest to come from my homebase. I miss him already - guess I'd better go pull out some records tonight.

RIP Freddie. :worship

Honestly, I had no idea he was still alive. Still though, one of the all-time greats, and it's sad to see another one of the few remaining members of jazz in the 50's and 60's go away. Not too many left

What a bummer.

I only had one opportunity to see Freddie live, and that was in the early 90s. He was so totally hammered, he basically could not perform at all, though the band of young guns he had was smoking. I've always wished I would have another chance to see him (assuming he had sobered up). Now I know for sure I won't.

Freddie put out some great records, but the one I keep coming back to again and again is Red Clay. Stone cold classic Blue Note.

I sure hope B.B. King and Buddy Guy both survive well past the show I'm going to in February!

Freddie Hubbard was one of the artists who steered me toward jazz when I was in college. Hub-Tones is still one of my favorite jazz albums, possibly one of my favorites of any genre.

RIP, Freddie.

I sure hope B.B. King and Buddy Guy both survive well past the show I'm going to in February!

Me too. I've got front-row tickets.

I am not so sure Freddie was all that active in recent years, but then again, maybe he was. He sure didn't play Chicago very often.

Buddy and BB just keep going and going....

Eartha Kitt got no mention here, so I am mentioning her....

LouieB

I still have an affinity for his work with Oliver Nelson in the early '60's, and The Breaking Point.

On a side-note, I did have the opportunity to see a sold-out performance in London in early '95. Unfortunately this was during the period he was having some serious lip issues. It was kinda sad actually, people were leaving 15-20 minutes into his set. I distinctly remember him mumbling under his breath, "Show's not over, must be for you"

Sad

RIP Mr Hubbard

Here's an interesting article Freddie wrote which was originally published in 1991. Among other things he talks about his influences and predecessors, his contemporaries and some newer trends in music.

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=31496

I've been trying to find his complete discography, but haven't had any luck.

not sure if it is complete...

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Freddie+Hubbard

For sure.....

I own dozens of records he played on, but strangely not a single one in his own name.

LouieB

Same here, except I have one under his name. "Ready for Freddie". I think Hubbard considered that his strongest session as far as his own playing was concerned. I haven't listened to it in probably seven or eight years, but I remember it being outshined by other things I was listening to at the time. It probably wasn't out or free enough for me at the time. I'll have to add it to my pile.