When You're Strange

When You're Strange: A Story of The Doors will be premiering at the Sundance film festival on Jan. 17. check out director Tom DiCillo's blog for more info.:

Tom DiCillo's blog

if any of you go, please share your thoughts of the film here. I'm dying to see this film, but can't justify a trip for the sake of seeing a movie, haha.

DRAP03.JPG

Thanks for this thread and link ... very interesting, and I would love to see this as well. I enjoyed reading his blog.

Hopefully Wolf Flims will get the movie a full theatrical release someday, as intended.

(From DiCillo's bio on his blog)

"DiCillo has just finished writing and directing, When You

I think I've (misguidedly) expressed my dislike for the Doors here on numerous occasions. But this looks very interesting. I'm begrudgingly learning to enjoy the band, if not the lyrics.

I think I've (misguidedly) expressed my dislike for the Doors here on numerous occasions. But this looks very interesting. I'm begrudgingly learning to enjoy the band, if not the lyrics.

I have thought of putting you on "ignore"..........because of your post above.....I've changed my mind.

-Robert

I just read that Jim Morrison's dad died very recently. I'm kind of amazed I have never seen him interviewed or anything. I just assumed he was dead already.

Anyways, thanks for the heads up, looks like a film I want to see.

I just read that Jim Morrison's dad died very recently. I'm kind of amazed I have never seen him interviewed or anything. I just assumed he was dead already.

Anyways, thanks for the heads up, looks like a film I want to see.

It did not get much coverage.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

There is a website now for When Your're Strange.

There is also another Doors film coming out:

THE DOORS

From The Outside

Brand new documentary featuring those who knew the group and its members best

Available on DVD

July 14, 2009

Through MVD Visual

MVD Visual and Sexy Intellectual are pleased to announce the home viewing release of The Doors "From The Outside" for North American distribution on DVD.

This brand new documentary film tells the story of The Doors, not from the perspective of the surviving members - as has been told so many time before - but from the recollections, memories, stories and anecdotes of those who knew the group and its members best.

The panel is headed by a woman who was as close to Jim Morrison as anyone ever was; his widow Patricia Kennealy-Morrison. Patricia has rarely spoken on film about her relationship with Jim, or about her own memories of The Doors. This is a once in a lifetime contribution from someone who knew just about everything that went on.

Also interviewed is Billy James, the man who 'discovered' Jim Morrison and an early incarnation of The Doors. Billy signed them to their first deal with Columbia Records, and gained the trust and respect of the entire group. Here he tells-all about those very early days when The Doors were known only to a select few.

Richard Goldstein - editor of Village Voice and close friend of the band is on hand too with his anecdote - heavy version of events, as is Mark Benno, the legendary blues musician whose searing guitar graced the L.A. Woman album.

The very finest Rock journalists and writers, and those who lived through and were affected by The Doors' music as it was being released also contribute to this most original documentary film. In this regard, we are joined by Robert Christgau, Johnny Rogan, Dave DiMartino, Ritchie Unterberger, Doug Sundling, and Jim Morrison's biographer James Riordan.

The program is further enhanced by the rarest footage of the band in existence, classic live and studio musical performances, seldom seen photographs, news clips, location shots and much more.

EXTRA: "Conversation with The Lizard Queen" featurette, in which Patricia Morrison reveals her own views about Jim Morrison as an artist, a poet and a visionary.

I've heard from a reliable source that this one is good.

hmm, interesting. haven't heard of this documentary yet prolly cause the Doors board has been down for a while now. if Patricia Kenneally had a hand, or finger, in making this, i'd be worried. she's not the most credible person in the world, to put it kindly. although i am looking forward to hearing what Richard Goldstein has to say.

can't wait to see When You're Strange. i've been hearing about it for years and its finally here, almost! btw, Morrison's dad was interviewed on film, for the first and only time, for this documentary and it'll be included with the DVD extras!

shouldn't it be called "When You Suck?"

5.gif

did you get your name from that post Morrison Doors tune?

"Go tell your daddy that we need some dough

We're gonna get married down in Mexico...

We got love, don't need no more

All we got to live on is this hardwood floor."

Hating the Doors is kind of a tired attitude. Yea, there are aspects of them that can be irritating, but really can't that also be true for any number of other classic rock acts?

I think with the Doors the problem is as much their fans as it is the band. I have no problem with the music they put out, it's very good. But for a short career, it is a limited output and 40 years down the road those songs have been played and played and played. For me any dislike or distaste directed towards the Doors is usually directed at the fans who push the "Jim is a God" or "Jim is a mystical Shaman" angle. No Jim was a poet/singer who lived excessively and died young.

• 8 months later...

just read that the film will be part of the American Masters series on PBS this May. I'm not very surprised that it didn't get any theater distribution, doesn't seem like something the masses will cling to even with Johnny Depp behind it.

the soundtrack for the film should be out in the near future and will, reportedly, feature some cool, unreleased stuff.

in other Doors news, I was able to persuade Doors' manager, Jeff Jampol, to release some live shows on vinyl a couple of years ago. Absolutely Live is getting the reissue treatment as well as the January 17, 1970 Felt Forum, NYC gig. both should be out in March(?).

just read that the film will be part of the American Masters series on PBS this May. I'm not very surprised that it didn't get any theater distribution, doesn't seem like something the masses will cling to even with Johnny Depp behind it.

the soundtrack for the film should be out in the near future and will, reportedly, feature some cool, unreleased stuff.

in other Doors news, I was able to persuade Doors' manager, Jeff Jampol, to release some live shows on vinyl a couple of years ago. Absolutely Live is getting the reissue treatment as well as the January 17, 1970 Felt Forum, NYC gig. both should be out in March(?).

Have you seen this one?

The Doors: From the Outside (2009)

Have you seen this one?

The Doors: From the Outside (2009)

no, I have heard of it. any film with Patricia Kenneally (Morrison) in it should be taken with a grain of salt. that lady has fabricated 97% of the "time" she spent with Morrison. the Richard Goldstein segment(s) may be interesting to watch. he reviewed The Doors the first time they played New York and interviewed them in 1969 during their PBS appearance. he was definitely the "thinking man's journalist." haha.

no, I have heard of it. any film with Patricia Kenneally (Morrison) in it should be taken with a grain of salt. that lady has fabricated 97% of the "time" she spent with Morrison. the Richard Goldstein segment(s) may be interesting to watch. he reviewed The Doors the first time they played New York and interviewed them in 1969 during their PBS appearance. he was definitely the "thinking man's journalist." haha.

Well, I don't know about that first part. I have talked to the lady - she seems pretty real to me.

I have that PBS show. I was thinking about it the other day. He is wearing a cape of some sort, if I recall correctly.

• 3 months later...

Speaking of PBS:

American Masters: When You're Strange, a film about The Doors

“The story of The Doors is one of the most compelling in the history of American rock music; three hugely talented musicians and a lead singer whose commitment to artistic freedom was so intense he rocketed them to a success that always hovered on the edge of chaos. As an independent filmmaker this sensibility affected me greatly.”

– Tom DiCillo, director and writer, When You’re Strange

The creative chemistry of four brilliant artists – drummer John Densmore, guitarist Robby Krieger, keyboardist Ray Manzarek and singer Jim Morrison – made The Doors one of America’s most iconic and influential, theatrical and mysterious, thrilling and sometime frightening rock bands. Narrated by Johnny Depp, American Masters: When You’re Strange is the first feature documentary about The Doors, premiering nationally Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 9 p.m. (ET) on PBS (check local listings).

Cool. This was playing at a second-run theater last week, but we were there to see Shutter Island and there was just no convincing the lady that double-dipping for a Doors doc was a good idea.