Where did the band get their name?

I apologize...I'm sure this has been covered countless times, but I searched and found nothing. A friend and I were discussing this today, and I really had no clue. They said Wilco was a military abbreviation for "will comply", but had no idea if there was any relevance to the band name.

Anyway, I guess the topic title speaks for itself.

Any answers?

Thanks!

Roger, wilco.

Tweedy said once in an interview he just flipped through a dictionary once really quickly because they needed a name for something, a show I presume.

I could be wrong but I think the flipping through the dictionary was Uncle Tupelo (two random words, essentially).

Will comply is what I've always subscribed to.

I could be wrong but I think the flipping through the dictionary was Uncle Tupelo (two random words, essentially).

Will comply is what I've always subscribed to.

Oh yeah you're probably right on that, for sure.

i think it was at a farm aid show (but im not totally sure) that someone asked jeff why they named themselves wilco... the interviewer knew that it meant "will comply" but he didnt get the joke. jeff said that he thought it was really funny for a rock band to be named "will comply". haha... the audience laughed and the interviewer was like "well NOW we think it's funny!" haha.

Guest Gym Teacher Man
I thought Jay Farrar asked Jeff not to use the name Uncle Tupelo anymore after he left and Jeff said, "Wilco," as in 'will comply.'

was that a joke or were you being serious?

i've only heard that it's an abbreviation for 'will comply' or that it's because they are from Will County. since the latter is false, i've always just assumed the former to be true.

was that a joke or were you being serious?

i've only heard that it's an abbreviation for 'will comply' or that it's because they are from Will County. since the latter is false, i've always just assumed the former to be true.

I'm serious. I've heard it several places and thought it was in the Kot book but could be wrong.

I thought it was from what people called them when they were backing Dylan.

Wait ... this is about Wilco?

That's the first thing I thought when I read the thread title. Richard Manuel explained that in the last waltz, it was a reaction to all the "Chocolate Subway and Marshmallow overcoat" bands.

I have learned, I had no idea where the name Wilco came from or that it even meant "Will comply".

Guest Gym Teacher Man
I recall seeing a small company named "Wilco" on Irving Park road (nw side of Chicago) and always hoped Jeff got the name from that.....

i'm about as familiar with irving park rd as one can be. never seen that. where is it?

I am generally not a fan of band names, but for some reason I like the name Wilco. I almost feel I shouldn't look in here because I'm afraid someone is going to provide an explanation of the name that will make me NOT like it anymore.

Tangential rant: I hate it when individuals go by "band" names. Just call yourself Justin Vernon or Kristian Matsson!