A few Fleet Foxes notes here (for those who aren't cool enough to do the indie/blog backlash)

They will be the musical guest on SNL this weekend

Aquarium Drunkard blog has a recent concert availble via mp3's

They will reenergize your love for your old CSN albums, and maybe even make you kind of appreciate David Crosby in general (which for me is saying something)

Published reports (including Pitchfork) are saying that they will play 'Blue Ridge Mountains' and 'Mykonos'.

Blue Ridge would have been a top 5 choice too, so that's great ;)

i'd love Oliver James, but not exactly the easiest to pull off on live TV.

Blue Ridge would have been a top 5 choice too, so that's great ;)

i'd love Oliver James, but not exactly the easiest to pull off on live TV.

I like the Blue Ridge Mountains jam, but I really wish they'd do something that a) rocks harder and b.) shows off their harmonies more.

"White winter Hymnal" and "Your Protector" maybe?

I like the Blue Ridge Mountains jam, but I really wish they'd do something that a) rocks harder and b.) shows off their harmonies more.

"White winter Hymnal" and "Your Protector" maybe?

Ragged Wood is their heaviest song, which is why i suggested it, but yeah, WWH would or Sun It Rises would both be perfect to show off their 4 part harmonies. when they switch gears in Sun It Rises live... damn that kills me.

Your Protector would be great too

I'm sure I'm one of the very few who doesn't get the hype at all. I bought the album some time back and have listened several times through now and I'm not feeling it. I love MMJ who everyone seems to compare them to and appreciate CSNY, but this is nowhere close to either of those two to my ears.

Am I the only one who doesn't hear the C,S,N influence? Ok yeah they harmonize, I get it. So did The Kingston Trio.

have you seen them live?

there's a lot of similarities in their harmonies, but it's especially evident live.

there's one part (forgetting which song ATM, maybe Mykonos), that the harmony/melody is straight out of Ohio. and numerous times throughout their show the first time i saw them (caught them 5x last year, all fantastic), i couldn't stop thinking of the last time i saw CSNY in '06, and it wasn't just because they sing in 4 part and have beards ;).

I'm sure I'm one of the very few who doesn't get the hype at all. I bought the album some time back and have listened several times through now and I'm not feeling it. I love MMJ who everyone seems to compare them to and appreciate CSNY, but this is nowhere close to either of those two to my ears.

as for the "hype"... they weren't really hyped too much when i got into them a little over a year ago. so I guess had i not heard them until after the hype, it's possible i'd be on the same side of the fence (god knows i've felt that way about plenty of overhyped acts myself), hard to say. i was however shocked it ended up as PFM's #1, as i usually totally hate their consensus #1's :lol

and as a HUGE HUGE MMJ fanboy since '01, i'd honestly only put At Dawn ahead of FF's debut... that's how much i like it. it doesn't help that MMJ's studio records have made a downhill slide since At Dawn i suppose.

i just find FF's music and harmonies gorgeous, and their live show definitely delivers (they're hilarious as well).

I'll give the SNL performance a shot. As for the MMJ comments, I think "It Still Moves," would be right there with "At Dawn," for me, if you trimmed about 15 minutes off of its length.

I'll give the SNL performance a shot. As for the MMJ comments, I think "It Still Moves," would be right there with "At Dawn," for me, if you trimmed about 15 minutes off of its length.

right... ISM is close, but At Dawn for me is nearly flawless

Either they were really good or the painful skits ("It's Gilly! - WTF?) made them look good in comparison.

I had never seen them live, they can really pull off those vocal harmonies. That's a talented bunch.

"downhill slide" is pretty harsh re: mmj.

i understand the love for at dawn but z and evil urges still do it for me at least.

sure it's a harsh way to put it, but it's true...

imo their albums in terms of quality:

At Dawn >>>>>> It Still Moves >> Z >>>>>>>>>>>>> Evil Urges

not to say i don't still love Z, but i've enjoyed every album since At Dawn less than the one before it, so by that definition, yes, they have been going downhill from their peak (At Dawn so far).

not saying i dislike the band at all, but they've got their work cut out for them on the next record to win me back a bit, at least studio album wise, live they're still tops.

If you listen to Mykonos and don't hear CSN then you haven't really listened to CSN. Also I'll agree that seeing them live IS the way to go. I had never heard a note from them until I saw them at Sasquatch and that was all it took. I thought they were real solid on SNL. Sounded great.

If you listen to Mykonos and don't hear CSN then you haven't really listened to CSN.

:thumbup

esp the part after the bridge:

Brother you don't need to turn me away

I was waiting down at the ancient gate

You go

Wherever you go today

You go today

just finished watching SNL in glorious HD... man they really did kill it... even more than i'd expected them too. that end of Mykonos... wow

i think what's even more impressive (and at times downright scary) is that Robin Pecknold is only 22 years old... guy has a LOT of great years ahead of him and is off to one helluva start.