• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it is the climax? I can't get a straight answer here - are you going to make me Netflix this film?

I don't actually watch it, but the real highlight is the end, when they sing "we did it, we did it" and my daughter dances on the couch.

Oh, see, I was picturing a theater viewing because I am apparently old fashioned. And the last time I half-watched a movie at a theater, I was in 6th or 7th grade.
I did get a little make-out action while watching The Spirit at the theater (it was just the two of us, who could resist the opportunity for some old school darkened theater groping!?)
Best picture nominees this year include the fact-based political dramas Milk and Frost/Nixon, the fanciful romance The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, the Holocaust drama The Reader and the sleeper hit of 2008, Slumdog Millionaire,a recent Golden Globe winner for best dramatic film.
Oscar noms - major categories

I haven't seen The Visitor, but it's great to see Richard Jenkins among the Best Actor names.

Hell yeah. He's awesome. Not a good year to be nominated though. Unlike most years, almost all of the nominees for that category deserve it.

My picks:

Best Supporting Actor: Heath Ledger (have to pick him but I enjoyed Robert Downey and Michael Shannon)

Best Picture: Slumdog Millionaire

Best Actor: Mickey Rourke

Best Actress: ? Meryl Streep (only performance I saw from this group)

Best Supporting Actress: Viola Davis

Best Director: Ron Howard

I am confused. Was my friend the only one who liked Synecdoche, NY? Because I am going to have to knock him upside the head for being so earnest in his recommendation if everyone else in the free world hated it.

I still haven't seen that. There was a lot of hype before it came out and I wanted to see it because of Charlie Kaufman mostly, but it kind of fell off the face of the earth.

I still haven't seen that. There was a lot of hype before it came out and I wanted to see it because of Charlie Kaufman mostly, but it kind of fell off the face of the earth.

Yeah everyone loves the guy so much that I assumed he'd get a nomination for screenplay or best director just for showing up. Even if (or maybe because!) no one understood the movie or it was boring. Not even a nomination? I trust TheBunk, but this uniform dislike is making me curious. :monkey

The review quoted on the poster for Synecdoche said 'a miracle movie' and talked about its scope and passion. I was going to see it for Charlie Kaufman, no matter what. And that he had cast Tom Noonan in it made me even more hopeful. But, entertainment was not on Kaufman's agenda.

Synecdoche blew my fucking mind. I can understand why many thought it an absurd piece of crap, but it was like Kaufman knew the secret code to everything going on in my own personal Area 51. I left that movie equally terrified of life and death.

Synecdoche blew my fucking mind. I can understand why many thought it an absurd piece of crap, but it was like Kaufman knew the secret code to everything going on in my own personal Area 51. I left that movie equally terrified of life and death.

I am beginning to think that this is all one big joke that the entire world is playing on me. Everyone is in on it but me.

Best: Slumdog Millionaire, Dark Knight, WALL-E, Iron Man, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, The Counterfeiters

Worst: 10,000 BC, Love Guru, Jumper, Semi-Pro, 21, Wanted, 7 Pounds

Haven't seen Man On Wire yet, but I've heard great things about it.

I am confused. Was my friend the only one who liked Synecdoche, NY? Because I am going to have to knock him upside the head for being so earnest in his recommendation if everyone else in the free world hated it.

Roger Ebert loved it:

According to the oddsmakers at MovieCityNews, "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" is third among the top five favorites for best picture. It may very well win. It expends Oscar-worthy talents on an off-putting gimmick. I can't imagine many people wanting to see the movie twice. There was another film this year that isn't in the "top five," or listed among the front-runners at all, and it's a profound consideration of the process of living and aging. That's Charlie Kaufman's "Synecdoche, New York." It will be viewed and valued decades from now. You mark my words.
Ahhh, but did Beltmann love it?

Haven't seen it yet, but it's pretty high on my must-see list.

I've got The Edge of Heaven to watch tonight :) The rest are in my "movies to watch" file.

:thumbup If you like it, then I would strongly recommend Akin's earlier Head-On and even earlier In July.

Just got back from The Wrestler, which was good, but not great. Also a cautionary tale about where you can end up if you can't let go of the '80s.

Now I've got to see it.