Oscar nominations are handed out Thursday.

Curious if Via-Chicagoans have seen any of the movies that are vying to be on the list of 5 best films.

The favorites seem to be Milk, Slumdog Millioanaire, Frost/Nixon, Benjamin Buttons, Doubt, Rachel Getting Married and The Wrestler.

Dark Knight, Iron Man, Wall-E or Gran Torino are probably long-shots, but I think it'd be great if one of those got in (especially Wall-E).

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen all of those, and most liked Benjamin Button and Rachel Getting Married. I guess I'm mildly curious about what will be nominated, but I don't have any strong feelings about it--awards shows are just not a reasonable way to discuss "quality" in cinema.

I've seen all of those, and most liked Benjamin Button and Rachel Getting Married. I guess I'm mildly curious about what will be nominated, but I don't have any strong feelings about it--awards shows are just not a reasonable way to discuss "quality" in cinema.

I think they are as long as you keep it in the right perspective, which is to create a rooting interest for movies you enjoyed while recognizing these things are not the final arbiter of anything.

Of course, maybe I'm just finding a way to disagree with your post while agreeing with the general sentiment behind it.

I've seen Milk, Slumdog Millioanaire, Frost/Nixon, Doubt, The Wrestler, Dark Knight, Iron Man, and Wall-E.

I thought they were all great films. Slumdog and Frost/Nixon stand out in my mind as the best ones.

I think they are as long as you keep it in the right perspective, which is to create a rooting interest for movies you enjoyed while recognizing these things are not the final arbiter of anything.

We're on the same page. :thumbup

The Oscars are fun. I took them way too seriously for a long time.

Every year I have the same frustrating conversations with a friend of mine who is always up in arms over the fact that the nominations were bad and the people that won shouldn't have. Every single year.

Oscar nominations are handed out Thursday.

Curious if Via-Chicagoans have seen any of the movies that are vying to be on the list of 5 best films.

The favorites seem to be Milk, Slumdog Millioanaire, Frost/Nixon, Benjamin Buttons, Doubt, Rachel Getting Married and The Wrestler.

Dark Knight, Iron Man, Wall-E or Gran Torino are probably long-shots, but I think it'd be great if one of those got in (especially Wall-E).

Of these I've only seen Slumdog, Dark Knight and Iron Man (although we have the Wall-E DVD, but haven't watched it yet). I am really hopeful that these three are not among the five best movies of the year.

I loved The Dark Knight, Benjamin Button and Slumdog as much as anyone, but if it were up to me, these films would be up for more awards:

The Edge of Heaven

A Christmas Tale

My Brother Is an Only Child

Transsiberian

The Visitor

Wendy and Lucy

Honeydripper

Shotgun Stories

The Last Mistress

Paranoid Park

Flight of the Red Balloon

and many others...

I just saw "Revolutionary Road" by Sam Mendes yesterday. It was about as damning a critique of societal and cultural norms in American life in the 20th Century as I've ever seen. Very well acted by Dicaprio and Winslett, if not a bit heavy handed at times. I've generally been very impressed with Mendes and this is no letdown from earlier works "American Beauty," and "Road to Perdition." I've aslo seen "Milk," "Slumdog Millionaire," and "Benjamin Button" recently. "The Wrestler," has yet to make it to Richmond, though it should be coming soon.

I just saw "Revolutionary Road" by Sam Mendes yesterday. It was about as damning a critique of societal and cultural norms in American life in the 20th Century as I've ever seen.

I've been looking for a used paperback copy of Revolutionary Road for probably two years now. Interested in seeing the film, but I want to read the book first. I guess, since they probably made a "now a major motion picture" version, I should just go to Borders with 14 dollars. Or the library.

I've been looking for a used paperback copy of Revolutionary Road for probably two years now. Interested in seeing the film, but I want to read the book first. I guess, since they probably made a "now a major motion picture" version, I should just go to Borders with 14 dollars. Or the library.

Try alibris.com, or maybe half.com

I have seen exactly zero movies this year (new infant son = no time for movies). One of my friends implored me to go see Synecdoche NY if I had one movie to see this year. I remember reading a review of it in the Times that was equally effusive. I take it few others agree? I only ask because if I've got one movie in my future, I gotta make sure I make the right call.

I have seen exactly zero movies this year (new infant son = no time for movies). One of my friends implored me to go see Synecdoche NY if I had one movie to see this year. I remember reading a review of it in the Times that was equally effusive. I take it few others agree? I only ask because if I've got one movie in my future, I gotta make sure I make the right call.

No! No no no no no no no - if you only get to see one movie this year, don't make it Synecdoche. Seriously, it is not a good time at the movies.

I can understand that some people got/get a lot from it, and it's certainly an interesting idea for a movie, but it is a trial to sit through.

If you get to see movies all the time, I'd say sure, go ahead, make it that. Since this is an event, may I suggest something that is at the very least, and among many other aspects, entertaining - something like Slumdog Millionaire or Gran Torino.

Oh God I hope I'm not too late.

I enjoyed Slumdog Millionaire quite a bit.

Only half-watched The Wrestler but what I saw looked interesting, so I'll have to actually sit down and watch it some time now.

I only half-watched Milk. (I think I have something against Penn. He bugs me.)

The Dark Knight and Wall-E were enjoyable. Iron Man was fun enough in its way. (I think I'd like to put something against Downey. Mreeeow!)

I'd probably take In Bruges or Transsiberian over any of those though.

Beltmann, did you watch In Bruges? Thoughts?

I know what you mean. I used to average about 40-50 movies a year in the theater alone. That fell to about 2 this year. (Although it was a daughter for me.)

Only half-watched The Wrestler but what I saw looked interesting, so I'll have to actually sit down and watch it some time now.

I only half-watched Milk. (I think I have something against Penn. He bugs me.)

Are you necking during these movies or what's going on?

Going to see Doubt in an hour, but so far my favs would be...

No particular order:

Vicky Cristina Barcelona

Milk

Slumdog

The Dark Knight

Forgetting Sarah Marshall, not Oscar worthy obviously but it was as good as Knocked Up for me