Now I've got to see it.

I have seen it about three times, once at the Chicago Film Festival and twice when it was playing in Minneapolis. I've never left the theater in a good mood afterwards, other than the general sense of hope one gets when seeing someone take their inner torments and turning into something productive. It is quite the cinematic experience, it's extreme case of a piece art that you either connect with or don't.

What makes it stand out from Kaufman's previous work is that there isn't a safety net for the audience. As crazy as Malkovich, Adaptation and Sunshine could get there was always something the audience could be in on. In Sunshine, we know we're in Jim Carrey's head, in Adaptation we know he eventually wrote the movie. That's not always there in Synecdoche. I recommend everyone see it, but I am neither surprised nor offended when it doesn't work for people.

--Mike

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw it because I love Kaufman.

Hated it because it was a terrible artsy fartsy movie for yuppies only.

Worst movie of the year, just because it was trying to be so good.

I am also so happy that Gran Torino did not get any noms. What a piece of shit movie.

Saw it because I love Kaufman.

Hated it because it was a terrible artsy fartsy movie for yuppies only.

Worst movie of the year, just because it was trying to be so good.

I am also so happy that Gran Torino did not get any noms. What a piece of shit movie.

damn, you're a load of laughs. What movies did you like, genius?

I am beginning to think that this is all one big joke that the entire world is playing on me. Everyone is in on it but me.

Maybe you should see for yourself. I'm totally interested in your thoughts now.

Ok, as promised, I put the women and kids (ok, woman and kid) to bed on Friday night, locked up, and walked down to Landmark Sunshine theaters on Houston St for the 10pm showing. This thread inspired me. And with TheBunk and bjorn bouncing around my head, I downed an espresso (long day), and found my seat. To be honest, expecting the worst.

I was pleasantly surprised. Not sure what I would have thought if I went in expecting the movie of the year. It was a rollercoaster of a ride through emotions that are sometimes too hard to think about, let alone talk about, and I was stunned by the sheer ambition. It reminded me of War and Peace in some ways. As in, if someone asked me what it was about, I'd have to say "everything."

It wasn't perfect. It was heavy handed in spots, and Kaufman seems to be a bit too Kaufman at times. But I love that you can live in his movies for awhile and it all seems normal. A truly unique voice in a sea of bland. I know that there were "funny" one-liners throughout the movie -- or at least, I think they were supposed to be funny, because people around me were chuckling the whole time. I never once cracked a smile. Even the jokes were sad to me. Everything was sad. Being alone in the theater, combined with everyone else's reaction around me, seemed to add to the themes in the movie and made it hit home much harder (I think).

I can understand why people hated it but I am comfortable saying it was wonderful and I am very happy to have experienced it. Not sure that I could watch it again, although I am sure that I need to watch it again to pick up on things I most certainly missed. I haven't cried in a theater since E.T. (at least, I don't think I have), but

when Cotard gets the earpiece telling him what to do

, I welled up inside, and I daresay, a tear ran down my cheek. Not sure I've recovered yet.

damn, you're a load of laughs. What movies did you like, genius?

My favorites of 2008:

The Wrestler

The Visitor

Ballast

Milk

Doubt

The Reader

To me Gran Torino was garbage. I know people are defending the horrible acting by saying they were amateurs, however they were still awful, and one man can't make up for a horrible supporting cast. And for the same reason I didn't like Slumdog Millionaire, I thought the end was corny, far-fetched, and unrealistic. For example when the kid drives up in the Gran Torino wearing the pin, eying down all the gangsters. Give me a fucking break. And the lame song at the end put my hatred over the top.

Synecdoche speaks for itself, the only people who claim they like this shitty movie are people who want to seem intellectually inclined, but really aren't. It tries way too hard and fails on so many different levels. The movie is total trash. Stick with Adaptation, Eternal Sunshine, or Being John Malkavich and don't direct another movie Kaufman.

Ok, finally saw In Bruges this weekend. Excellent movie, definitely one of my new favorites of the year. I loved how it changed tones so quickly going from sad and disturbing, to hilarious. I cracked up when Ray was getting bailed out at the police station and he said to Chlo "And I'll get you all your acid and ecstasy back to you, too"... I woke up my kids laughing so hard at that part. :lol

I've never been a big fan of Colin Farrell, but he was excellent in that movie.

The Visitor

Slumdog Millionaire

Tropic Thunder

Iron Man

Vicky Barcelona

Man On Wire

Vastly overrated and/or undeserving: Spiderman3, Shrek3, Narnia2, The Dark Knight. I really resent the corporate fuckers who suck my kids in to these atrocities, forcing me to blow $50+ after-tax dollars and waste perfectly good Saturday afternoons on this kind of crap. Even the kids know you can do better, assholes!

Ok, as promised, I put the women and kids (ok, woman and kid) to bed on Friday night, locked up, and walked down to Landmark Sunshine theaters on Houston St for the 10pm showing. This thread inspired me. And with TheBunk and bjorn bouncing around my head, I downed an espresso (long day), and found my seat. To be honest, expecting the worst.

I was pleasantly surprised. Not sure what I would have thought if I went in expecting the movie of the year. It was a rollercoaster of a ride through emotions that are sometimes too hard to think about, let alone talk about, and I was stunned by the sheer ambition. It reminded me of War and Peace in some ways. As in, if someone asked me what it was about, I'd have to say "everything."

It wasn't perfect. It was heavy handed in spots, and Kaufman seems to be a bit too Kaufman at times. But I love that you can live in his movies for awhile and it all seems normal. A truly unique voice in a sea of bland. I know that there were "funny" one-liners throughout the movie -- or at least, I think they were supposed to be funny, because people around me were chuckling the whole time. I never once cracked a smile. Even the jokes were sad to me. Everything was sad. Being alone in the theater, combined with everyone else's reaction around me, seemed to add to the themes in the movie and made it hit home much harder (I think).

I can understand why people hated it but I am comfortable saying it was wonderful and I am very happy to have experienced it. Not sure that I could watch it again, although I am sure that I need to watch it again to pick up on things I most certainly missed. I haven't cried in a theater since E.T. (at least, I don't think I have), but

when Cotard gets the earpiece telling him what to do

, I welled up inside, and I daresay, a tear ran down my cheek. Not sure I've recovered yet.

Very well said, I'm glad you got to see it and well enjoyed isn't the right word, but experienced it. For someone "who wants to seem intellectually inclined, but really isn't" ;) , you're quite eloquent.

--Mike

Synecdoche speaks for itself, the only people who claim they like this shitty movie are people who want to seem intellectually inclined, but really aren't. It tries way too hard and fails on so many different levels. The movie is total trash. Stick with Adaptation, Eternal Sunshine, or Being John Malkavich and don't direct another movie Kaufman.

Fuck you, man. I am intellectually inclined and I liked this movie. Eat me.

Just so you all know, I am drinking a latte, fondling my copy of Gibbons' The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, which I have just for show, thinking about how smart I am and checking to see when Synecdoche comes out on DVD.

March 10.

Negative, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Yes, my head did 'esplode'.

I told you guys I hate that movie with a passion....sorry if I offended anyone.

Did you say what you hate about it?

Also:

• Avoid being dismissive of other peoples’ opinions. Try “I don’t see it that way.” instead of “That’s bullsh*t!” or “I don’t care for that band” rather than “That band sucks!” It’s called civility.
Did you say what you hate about it?

Oh jeez...I was hoping you wouldn't ask, there is far too much. I will start by saying the first quarter of the movie was very good and drew me in, only to regurgitate me in the most disgusting way possible. If you have not yet seen the movie please stop reading, I do not want to give anything away, though I do not recommend seeing it. I will also say that I have my harsh views, and you have you all have your views, and if you really liked this movie, we are going to have to agree to disagree.

Basically I hated Caden, he was a depressing loser and none of his relationships (3) made sense to me. When his wife left him, I don't know if I was suppose to feel bad, or happy for the wife for leaving the pathetic piece of shit. After she left the movie spun out of control. Everything felt like it was kind of thrown all over the place, and I got sick of the little puns that Kaufman consistently threw into almost every scene. Right when he started making the production I knew this movie was not for me. Basically I became so disconnected with this movie that everything started to seem stupid to me (the funerals, the house fire, everything with his daughter, the shrinks book, everything with the 'production', the suicide....and more). To me, nothing was as stupid as when Sammy came and said he was following Caden and knew everything about him....I just thought that was so freakin retarded and I know it is suppose to be artsy and I am suppose to be open to this kind of writing, but it was fuckin stupid and awful. It got to the point where I thought it was such a bad movie that I did not see the point to try to analyze every little thing, totally lost interest, hated the movie.

Then I find out everybody likes it, and it just pisses the hell out of me.

I know most of you disagree and are pissed off with probably everything I said about the movie.

I will take my Valium now, and chill out. :cheekkiss

Negative, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Yes, my head did 'esplode'.

I told you guys I hate that movie with a passion....sorry if I offended anyone.

Sorry, I get the confusion now. You thought I was referring to the movie "The Reader" which would make the most sense, I suppose. Actually, I was wondering if you were the guy that wrote this.

Ok, finally saw In Bruges this weekend. Excellent movie, definitely one of my new favorites of the year. I loved how it changed tones so quickly going from sad and disturbing, to hilarious. I cracked up when Ray was getting bailed out at the police station and he said to Chlo "And I'll get you all your acid and ecstasy back to you, too"... I woke up my kids laughing so hard at that part. :lol

I've never been a big fan of Colin Farrell, but he was excellent in that movie.

This weekend I saw In Bruges too. I wasn't expecting much from this movie, my husband saw it & didn't care for it. I didn't read any reviews of the movie, I thought it was going to be action/drama. Colin Farrell is great for dark comedy, he delivered a few really great lines & I lol'd too.

I also saw Slumdog Millionaire and the Wrestler.

Slumdog is so brilliant, great idea/concept. Although,

I almost walked away 30mins in (when they ran away after the boy was blinded)- I can't handle when kids are hurt/abused, it was really too much.

The Wrestler was great, loved the character, movie was a bit slow, was kinda waiting for something more. Mickey Rourke did a great job-

What a sad, pathetic life! The poor guy- you feel for him, right? (with the spray on tan & dyed hair) But what a way to go, totally loved, doing something you love!