Hated Synecdoche New York with a passion

Seeing 'Ballast' tonight

Dark Knight Sucked

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's worth it. :)

Fatherhood dramatically altered my moviegoing habits, too--and 2008 saw the arrival of the second spawn, so I ended up seeing less than in any year since the mid-Nineties. Still, I did a decent job of staying on top of the 2008 movies I was most excited about. What got cut was all the obvious crap--I think I've lost interest in being comprehensive--and, unfortunately, a high number of second-tier titles. Having two kids really changes things, which is frustrating at times but overall is still a terrific trade-off: Now I have the pleasure of introducing my kids to all sorts of movies, and that experience beats the old "comprehensive" experience by a wide margin. It also enhances my own perspectives. For example, seeing my daughter go gaga over Matilda and Tim Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory has made me appreciate both in new and unexpected ways. By the way, congrats on the boy! :cheers

Seeing 'Ballast' tonight

I'm dyin' to see that... not sure if it will make it to Milwaukee.

Beltmann, did you watch In Bruges? Thoughts?

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed In Bruges. The lazy comparison would be to Tarantino, but that would overlook how the movie

I loved The Dark Knight, Benjamin Button and Slumdog as much as anyone, but if it were up to me, these films would be up for more awards:

The Edge of Heaven

A Christmas Tale

My Brother Is an Only Child

Transsiberian

The Visitor

Wendy and Lucy

Honeydripper

Shotgun Stories

The Last Mistress

Paranoid Park

Flight of the Red Balloon

and many others...

Embarrassing as it may be, I haven't heard of any of those movies except Paranoid Park. Where should I begin?

Are you necking during these movies or what's going on?
Yeah, nothing turns me on more than movies where grown men cry. :blush

(Or I was switching between movie watching and computer stuff.)

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed In Bruges. The lazy comparison would be to Tarantino, but that would overlook how the movie
Embarrassing as it may be, I haven't heard of any of those movies except Paranoid Park. Where should I begin?

About half are available on DVD... I suppose Transsiberian, Honeydripper, and The Visitor are the most "accessible."

Paranoid Park was freakin awful

To my eyes, Paranoid Park is by far the best of Van Sant's recent cycle of impressionistic "vibe" films. This time, the psyche of the main character feels fully explored, not merely hinted at with vague approximations.

I saw a DVD ad for that last night and it made me remember how much fun it is.

Yes it was classic dark Coen brothers comedy.

The part where George Clooney shoots Brad Pitt in the closet was very dark to say the least.. My wife said that part gave her nightmares. But the Coen brothers have a way to still make such a dark scene, funny in a way.. They make you laugh and frown at the same time..

Yes it was classic dark Coen brothers comedy.

The part where George Clooney shoots Brad Pitt in the closet was very dark to say the least.. My wife said that part gave her nightmares. But the Coen brothers have a way to still make such a dark scene, funny in a way.. They make you laugh and frown at the same time.. :w00t

My in-laws saw it before I did, and my mom-in-law was disturbed -

'People die! They make it look like a comedy but it's unsettling!' When Clooney shot Pitt (which was indeed pitch perfect!), after I settled down, I thought 'ahh, that's what she meant.'

Burn After Reading was great.

I'd rank it as the 3rd best movie I saw this year (but I haven't seen a whole lot).

It's typical Coen Brothers....unpredicatable, intense, goofy, funny. Brad Pitt is GREAT. The FBI head (forget his name....the guy who play J. Jonah Jameson in Spiderman) is hilarious. I liked how Clooney's character had a fascination for floors.

Burn After Reading was great.

I'd rank it as the 3rd best movie I saw this year (but I haven't seen a whole lot).

It's typical Coen Brothers....unpredicatable, intense, goofy, funny. Brad Pitt is GREAT. The FBI head (forget his name....the guy who play J. Jonah Jameson in Spiderman) is hilarious. I liked how Clooney's character had a fascination for floors.

I thought Burn After Reading was merely a middle of the road Coen Bros. film. But my favorite line was with that FBI Head at the end when

after being told Clooney was arrested trying to board a plane to Venezuela, he is asked what they should do with him and he responds, "put him on the next fucking plane to Venezuela!"

:lol

I'm surprised no one has mentioned "Burn After Reading". Definitely one of my new favorite Coen brothers movies.
That scene you folks are mentioning wasn't as great for me because a screen cap I saw online spoiled it for me and I knew it was coming. :ohwell

I liked when George Clooney shows off what he hass been building. I thought he was working on weapons or something. Hilarious! And it's a gift for the wife but he's gonna let the other chick use it! Ick!

I liked when George Clooney shows off what he hass been building. I thought he was working on weapons or something. Hilarious! And it's a gift for the wife but he's gonna let the other chick use it! Ick!

Haha yeah,

George was a perv in that movie.

. And I loved the scene when

he got pissed off at the red head chick, stormed up the stairs (typical Coen brothers how you could hear him storming up every step, and then back down them again..lol), grabbed his sex pillow and stormed out the door. :lol

Yeah, nothing turns me on more than movies where grown men cry. :blush

(Or I was switching between movie watching and computer stuff.)

Oh, see, I was picturing a theater viewing because I am apparently old fashioned. And the last time I half-watched a movie at a theater, I was in 6th or 7th grade.

And as for Burn After Reading...I thought it was below average. Not bad, but not great. It had some great lines, though.