Pink Houses by John Mellencamp

I'm just getting around to watching the Obama Inaugural Celebration, which I had on DVR.

I always assumed that "Pink Houses" by John Mellencamp was meant to be a satire, or at the very least sarcastic.

After watching his performance and reading up on a few interviews, I was surprised to find out that the song is not satirical.

Am I wrong in thinking that Mellencamp is a complete loser to write a song like that?

"Ain't that America, little pink houses for you and me?"

Are you kidding me, is he blind? Especially when invoking a scene of an African American in Indiana. More like "Ain't that America, a lack of good jobs for low skilled workers accompanied by a heavy dose of racism for you and me"

I've always liked this song.

Written from kind of a 'the way things are' POV.

The line about the black man who "thinks he's got it so good" is pretty poignant.

I don't know, man. I don't get what you're upset about I guess?

I guess it just seems like such a rosy eyed sentiment from a man who claims to have a understanding on American power structures and how they are injurious to average people.

I just don't think many people think of the United States as a place where we all have little pink houses.

That's kind of a bullshit sentiment fed by conservatives to create a sense of complacency.

I guess it just seems like such a rosy eyed sentiment from a man who claims to have a understanding on American power structures and how they are injurious to average people.

I just don't think many people think of the United States as a place where we all have little pink houses.

That's kind of a bullshit sentiment fed by conservatives to create a sense of complacency.

it's not meant to be rosy eyed...

Theres a black man with a black cat

Living in a black neighbourhood

Hes got an interstate runnin through his front yard

You know, he think, that hes got it so good

And theres a woman in the kitchen cleanin up the evening slop

And he looks at her and says: hey darling, I can remember when you could stop a clock

he's saying all of these folks who have it so bad still manage to live a full life and don't really realize how bad they have it compared to "you and me", and that those who are fairly well off often tend to forget about those less fortunate, esp in pursuit of the "american dream" (ie: little pink houses)

Solace,

I understand what the song means in terms of those verses.

My problem is more that there seems to be a sense of complacency about the situation.

He's saying the have-nots are not well off, but they're still happy with their situation.

The haves ("who vacation in the Gulf Of Mexico") are sometimes not as happy.

I think most of us can see examples of that. But he seems to suggest that this situation may be alright. As opposed to suggesting that something ought to be done due to this unequal distribution of wealth.

Like the chorus could have been "Little pink shacks that you are forced to live in by you and me"

I just wish a little more blame was placed on "you and me"

Solace,

I understand what the song means in terms of those verses.

My problem is more that there seems to be a sense of complacency about the situation.

He's saying the have-nots are not well off, but they're still happy with their situation.

The haves ("who vacation in the Gulf Of Mexico") are sometimes not as happy.

I think most of us can see examples of that. But he seems to suggest that this situation may be alright. As opposed to suggesting that something ought to be done due to this unequal distribution of wealth.

Like the chorus could have been "Little pink shacks that you are forced to live in by you and me"

I just wish a little more blame was placed on "you and me"

pretty sure the chorus is very tongue in cheek.... as in... isn't that something how America works. i think that the tone of it def states is disproval, but points out that's just the way it is and has been. it's not a protest song moreso as it is a commentary on America.

I think it is along the line of the same, easily-misinterpreted sense of irony expressed by Springsteen in "Born in the U.S.A."

There was a pretty cool punk cover of this song by Avail. Not sure if it is angrier, but it is definitely faster. :guitar

I get what you're saying, but I don't think this is exactly meant to be the kind of protest song you are looking for. Its not glorifying having an interstate running through your front yard, but there is definitely some admiration of the ability of these people to see beyond the limitations that surround them and still find happiness in their lives. I don't think its necessarily a complacency thing. Especially set against the backdrop of the yuppie-tastic '80s (those people going to work in high rises and vacationing in the gulf of mexico) the argument here is maybe that maybe the "have's" are chasing shallow and unfulfilling things, and yes, while there is clearly financial inequity (the chorus feels pretty tongue-in-cheek in its exuberance), maybe the "have-nots" have "got it so good" in their own way, too.

Okay, that's all I got. I shall henceforth be known as quarter2cougar3cd

"It's a lonely old night, but ain't they all."

So I think we're all on board with the meaning of the song. With that said, anyone else feel like it was strange to sing that yesterday then? Bruce may as well have kicked into Born in the USA.

And besides the chorus to "City of Blinding Lights", I thought that was a way weird choice lyrically. I realize it was used in Obama rallies, but at the steps of the Lincoln Memorial?

always a surprise hit when drunkenly playing guitar with friends and you've just about no songs left in the bag

You are right about that. Bust that song out late at night at just about any bar, especially the ones where people work hard all week and are there to unwind, and the crowd comes alive. I don't think anybody singing along is thinking ironically or that they are protesting in some way.

I always figured this song was a lot like Rockin in the free world. Basically that america is not perfect but it beats the hell out of most places.