Pink Houses by John Mellencamp

"Your gonna have to stay 10 feet back from the Coug"

In my hometown nothing packs the dancefloor at a wedding like "the Coug". It's a way of life.

I grew up in southern Indiana in the 70's and 80's and you're right, there was (still is?) a sense of fierce loyalty that this guy belongs to us, speaks to us, of us. He had an air on invincibility around him. I like the first handful of records alright, though I don't own any of them anymore. Once I was old enough to get turned on to metal, I left Johnny Cougar in the rear view.

Also, (and not to get too far off topic) I can't remember who mentioned the Avail cover of "Pink Houses," but I'm glad to know there are others on here who are aware of Avail. In a very direct way they are the reason I moved to Richmond, 13 years ago. I've probably seen them more times that I've seen Wilco, which is to say a whole fucking lot, going all the way back to '91. "Satiate," is one of my top 90's punk records and has become a classic with the passage of time.

You are right about that. Bust that song out late at night at just about any bar, especially the ones where people work hard all week and are there to unwind, and the crowd comes alive. I don't think anybody singing along is thinking ironically or that they are protesting in some way.

I always figured this song was a lot like Rockin in the free world. Basically that america is not perfect but it beats the hell out of most places.

You're right on all counts, me thinks. :thumbup

My only problem with JC is this: being from Indiana you literally CANNOT go anywhere without hearing his stuff, especially "Pink Houses". Toxic oversaturation on all the local radio stations. It's like "Layla" or "Stairway" or something - I've heard that tune so many times I wish I would never hear it again.

But he does have some very good stuff. Along with the ones Frog, Bunk & Solace mentioned, I have to put my word in for "Check It Out". Definitely my favorite JC song.

keywest intermezzo!
Goofy song with a great catchy hook.

To back up what Mountain bed says, all over the midwest you get way too much JCM to this day.

Jumping on this late, it is easy to misinterpret Pink Houses because it has some very snarky lyrics that appear to be criticizing those that he is trying to promote. I have never thought it was that great a song.

LouieB

I saw him do Pink Houses with Neko Case and T-Bone Burnett at HSBG in 2007. That was something.

1494783077_29b0deba8d.jpg

Pink Houses into Sunken Treasures that day. One of my personal favorite musical days. I have always loved JCM lyrics. They truly paint a picture for me being from Indiana and having spent a lot of time on those roads in and around Bloomington. I always look forward to a little JCM overload when I go home.

• 1 month later...