For the past few days I've been listening to Philip Glass' Koyaanisqatsi soundtrack. This is my first taste of Glass' work and I'm very taken by it, however, I'm a bit green when it comes to the rest of the Glass back catalogue and don't know what's best to sample next, or even what to avoid.

Are there any Glass afficienados out there who could give me some pointers and recommendations?

I like the operas. The soundtracks after The Saquatsi movies do all sound the same. I remember trying to get friends convinced to watch them in the 80s. The asked if there was going to be 4th film called Diddley-squatsi.

Anyway, Einstein on the Beach is excellent and my favourite is Satyagraha. The one aria of Gandhi's leave from South Africa back to India is awesome.

I could be wrong, but I think the Koyanisqaatsi soundtrack is all the Philip Glass most people, me included, really need.

Thanks for your help guys. I think I'm as confused now as I was before I wrote the request. I'm not being cheeky but you all have differing opinions, so I guess any form of consensus regarding Glass is difficult.

Solo Piano has come up a couple of times so I think that's going to be my next port of call. Many thanks again.

I could be wrong, but I think the Koyanisqaatsi soundtrack is all the Philip Glass most people, me included, really need.
Actually getting the movie and watching it with the soundtrack is a great introduction to Glass. It works very well and will give you an idea of what he is up to. Then the soundtrack alone will work even better.

He did a piece based upon Bowie's Low and/or Heroes. You might like that for the familiar melodies. If they're familiar to you.
I have listened to that (got a copy for like very little a few years back), and I think it is NOT the place to start; it is sort of boring really.

There is an album with songs on it that may be readily available on LP from your local record store from the 80s called Songs for Liquid Days. IT has a bunch of singers on it that is just okay too. but it is fairly accessable (meant both ways.)

LouieB

Pick up: Glassworks it is a great, minimal, mesmerizing set of pieces that showcases Glass' trademark arpeggiating style. I'd start with that.

While you're at it pick up: Steve Reich's Music For 18 Musicians and John Adams' Road Movies. If you like those get Terry Riley's In C as well.

That's a great introduction that will pretty much cover all the bases of minimalism in its glory. Enjoy!

Pick up: Glassworks it is a great, minimal, mesmerizing set of pieces that showcases Glass' trademark arpeggiating style. I'd start with that.

While you're at it pick up: Steve Reich's Music For 18 Musicians and John Adams' Road Movies. If you like those get Terry Riley's In C as well.

That's a great introduction that will pretty much cover all the bases of minimalism in its glory. Enjoy!

I've got Music for 18 Musicians and also Riley's In C and A Rainbow In Curved Air, all of which I really like. Thanks for the other suggestions though, I will look to check these out.

I have also heard of his work on Bowie's Low and "Heroes". Which I'm presuming is his take on those albums' ambient passages as opposed to a Glass intepretation of Always Crashing The Same Car, Breaking Glass, Sound & Vision, etc?

I've always dug the Kundun soundtrack.

Yeah, that is pretty good too.

Some Glass favorites:

Einstein on the Beach

Kronos Quartet performs Philip Glass (string quartets 2, 4, 5)

Violin Concerto (with Gidon Kremer: essential)

Music in Twelve Parts

Symphony No. 3

Mishima soundtrack

Dracula soundtrack

Piano Etudes

Glassworks

Etoile Polaire

I also highly recommend Bruce Brubaker's recordings of solo piano music by Glass (which include pieces by John Cage and Alvin Curran).