Bruce Springsteen 2009 Tour Dates

Yahoo has 1.27 of it up.

Some audio from The LA Times.

Springsteen's Super Bowl media session: Listen to the audio clip

2:45 PM, January 29, 2009

I just got out of Bruce Springsteen's news conference, the same type the NFL holds on the Thursday before every Super Bowl to showcase that year's halftime entertainment. Springsteen didn't perform during the media session, as Prince did a couple of years ago, but he and the E Street Band did answer questions for about 20 minutes.

"If there's going to be any questions about football, then this is going to be the shortest press conference in history," he said with a laugh, confiding he doesn't watch much of the sport.

If it's rare for Springsteen to be around football, it's even rarer for him to do a news conference. He hasn't done one since 1987, with Amnesty International. When reminded of that by the NFL's Brian McCarthy, Springsteen said: "Did I do one that soon?"

Here's the audio of the entire news conference, and parts are pretty entertaining. Just click on the arrow.

-- Sam Farmer

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how involved he actually is in that sort of thing - I suppose he must have signed off on it. I figure his management was just following the path of Garth Brooks, The Eagles, AC/DC, Guns 'N' Roses, etc.

I wonder how involved he actually is in that sort of thing - I suppose he must have signed off on it. I figure his management was just following the path of Garth Brooks, The Eagles, AC/DC, Guns 'N' Roses, etc.

There were other pragmatic considerations.
Consider the Wal-Mart only release in this light.

There is also this - which I sort of over looked:

Bruce Springsteen Prepping 'Darkness' Reissue

January 23, 2009 11:31 AM ET

Ray Waddell, Nashville

Bruce Springsteen is about to release a new album and play the Super Bowl XLIII halftime show, but there's another project in the works that will be received joyously by fans: a deluxe reissue of 1978's "Darkness on the Edge of Town" that will be similar to Columbia's 2005 30th-anniversary boxed set treatment of "Born to Run."

The "Darkness" package "would involve remastering that record, doing the kind of super-creative reconstruction and documentary of how it all came about and finding usable live footage from that point in time," Springsteen manager Jon Landau tells Billboard. "That's a big one, and not that far from completion, and when we can find six weeks to sit down and finish it I'm sure we will."

"Born to Run" included a Grammy-winning documentary about its creation and a 1975 concert from London. It was a huge hit with fans, debuting at No. 18 on The Billboard 200 with first-week sales of more than 53,000 copies.

One endeavor dividing Springsteen devotees down the middle is the Wal-Mart exclusive "Greatest Hits" album, which went on sale Jan. 13. Landau protects Springsteen's image fiercely, and the controversy surrounding the deal did not escape his attention.

"I know these discussions happen online and elsewhere, and I don't want to get bogged down in them, but let's start with the premise that Bruce is already in Wal-Mart," Landau says. "Wal-Mart has been 15% of our sales in recent years. It's not a question of going into Wal-Mart; we're there. They, and other retailers, are all looking for some way to differentiate themselves, and we try to accommodate each one."

Besides, Landau adds, "We're not doing any advertising for Wal-Mart. We haven't endorsed Wal-Mart or anybody else. We're letting Sony do its job making sure the record is well-presented in as many places as possible."

Springsteen and the E Street Band will return to the road this summer, with a handful of European stadium dates having been announced so far.

I think it was Angus Young who said that for some kids, Wal-Mart is the only place they can go and buy cds these days. Which In my case, is true. It's either there, Best Buy, or Target.

Also - just saw this on Billboard.com:

Springsteen Has 'Dream' Debut Atop Album Chart

Bruce Springsteen

February 04, 2009 11:27 AM ET

Katie Hasty, N.Y.

As expected, Bruce Springsteen's new album, "Working on a Dream," dethrones Taylor Swift's "Fearless" after an eight-week reign. The Columbia set sold 224,000 copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan, giving the Boss' his ninth No. 1 album on the chart.

Springsteen is now tied with the Rolling Stones for the third most No. 1 albums. Only the Beatles (with 19), Elvis Presley (10) and Jay-Z (also 10) have more.

The first week sales for "Dream" were off 33% compared to the opening frame of his last studio set, 2007's "Magic" (335,000), which also debuted at No. 1. Springsteen and his E Street Band performed Sunday during the Super Bowl halftime show and will begin a world tour April 1 in San Jose, Calif.

And this from Yahoo News:

Springsteen fans cry foul after Ticketmaster snub

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J.

I found this on Lefsetz's Blog:

Azoff Responds To The Boss

An Open Letter of Apology to Bruce Springsteen, Jon Landau and the entire Springsteen Tour Team:

While we were genuinely trying to do the right thing for fans in providing more choices when the tickets they requested from the primary on-sale were not available, we clearly missed the mark. Fans are confused and angry, which is the opposite of what we hoped to accomplish. We sincerely apologize to Bruce, his organization and, above all, his fans.

We recognize that we need to change our course. We have committed to Bruce and state publicly here that we have taken down all links for Bruce

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

April 1, 2009

San Jose, CA

HP Pavilion at San Jose

Badlands

Outlaw Pete

My Lucky Day

No Surrender

Out In The Street

Working On A Dream

Seeds (first since 1996!)

Johnny 99

Ghost of Tom Joad

Good Eye

Good Rockin' Tonight (1947 jump blues)

Darlington County

Growin' Up

Waiting On A Sunny Day

Promised Land

The Wrestler

Kingdom of Days

Radio Nowhere

Lonesome Day

Born To Run

Hard Times

Thunder Road

Dancing In The Dark

Tenth Avenue Freeze-out

Land Of Hope And Dreams

American Land

• 4 weeks later...

went to atlanta show last night. got in for $20 just like last year. sat behind the stage in an empty row. rough start, but got better with slower songs. highlights were tom joad, jungle land, lonesome day, radio nowhere. i just love some of the newer songs.

question-why is nils lofgren in this band. he looks like such a dork running around on stage. also, they don't need to keyboards or back up singers. fyi, max weinbergs son ROCKED on the drums and bruce was just lovin' playing with him.

went to atlanta show last night. got in for $20 just like last year. sat behind the stage in an empty row. rough start, but got better with slower songs. highlights were tom joad, jungle land, lonesome day, radio nowhere. i just love some of the newer songs.

question-why is nils lofgren in this band. he looks like such a dork running around on stage. also, they don't need to keyboards or back up singers. fyi, max weinbergs son ROCKED on the drums and bruce was just lovin' playing with him.

I have been wondering why Nils is in the band....He usually can only be heard for like 3 songs the whole night. I think when Little Stevie left the band in the 80's and Nils came in...bruce felt bad about telling him to leave when LS came back.....who knows...I would like to see him play with Neil Young.

I have been wondering why Nils is in the band....He usually can only be heard for like 3 songs the whole night. I think when Little Stevie left the band in the 80's and Nils came in...bruce felt bad about telling him to leave when LS came back.....who knows...I would like to see him play with Neil Young.

me too. get some of that TTN vibe back. although i could do without his twirling on stage.

I wasn't there in Philly last night, but damn these setlists are looking really, really good. "London Calling!!!" "Thundercrack," "Kitty's Back," Wow. I've got GA's for Charlottesville on Tuesday. I'll report back when I get the chance.

Badlands

The Ties That Bind

Outlaw Pete

Spirit in the Night

Working on a Dream

Seeds

Johnny 99

Youngstown

Raise Your Hand

London Calling

Red Headed Woman

Thundercrack

Hungry Heart

The Promised Land

Streets of Philadelphia

Kingdom of Days (w/ Jay Weinberg)

Radio Nowhere (w/ Jay Weinberg)

Lonesome Day (w/ Jay Weinberg)

The Rising (w/ Jay Weinberg)

Born to Run (w/ Jay Weinberg)

Hard Times (w/ Jay Weinberg)

Thunder Road (w/ Jay Weinberg)

Tenth Avenue Freeze-out (w/ Jay Weinberg)

Land of Hope and Dreams (w/ Jay Weinberg)

American Land (w/ Jay Weinberg)

Kitty's Back (w/ Jay Weinberg)

the sets are actually a bit samey compared to the last tour. he's not playing much of the new album. i am really getting into working on a dream. found a little documentary on youtube about the making and it really inspired me to give the whole album a listen. very solid stuff there.

I was there last night. Very nice show. I forgot how intimate the Spectrum is for a show. That place is tiny. There is only 4 rows in the upper deck. It has an old Boston Garden feel to it. I was behind the stage behind the new keyboard player and was about 20 feet from the stage with no obstructions. Great vantagepoint to see the crowd looking at the stage.

The band sounded great. Yes, I would have liked to hear a few more new tunes (and not have heard Outlaw Pete), because Working and Kingdom of Days sounded terrific. And Max's son Jay filled in nicely on the drums. The kid is 18 and backing Bruce. He must have some stories for his friends in homeroom.

I'll be at the Nassau show on Monday, my first time back there since the Dead broke out The Weight on 3/28/90.

I was there last night. Very nice show. I forgot how intimate the Spectrum is for a show. That place is tiny. There is only 4 rows in the upper deck. It has an old Boston Garden feel to it. I was behind the stage behind the new keyboard player and was about 20 feet from the stage with no obstructions. Great vantagepoint to see the crowd looking at the stage.

The band sounded great. Yes, I would have liked to hear a few more new tunes (and not have heard Outlaw Pete), because Working and Kingdom of Days sounded terrific. And Max's son Jay filled in nicely on the drums. The kid is 18 and backing Bruce. He must have some stories for his friends in homeroom.

I'll be at the Nassau show on Monday, my first time back there since the Dead broke out The Weight on 3/28/90.

Nice..I am sitting behind the stage at Nassau...hoping for an E Street Shuffle or Blinded by the Light! :dancing

Nice..I am sitting behind the stage at Nassau...hoping for an E Street Shuffle or Blinded by the Light! :dancing

he is busting out some gems at each show it seems. we got jungleland and trapped in atlanta. the encore is pretty much the same as are some of the main setlist tunes

wienberg's kid is the shit. his drum fills are total rock and roll!

i also sat behind the stage by the new keyboard dude. some one needs to tell that dude to focus on the keys and not trying to get the crowd to stand up. he just acted like a cheesy cheerleader the whole time and hardly played an notes on the keys. if bruce only knew!

fyi-my opinion of working on a dream as changed a bit. it's about half good. listening to magic, one can see that bruce was really scraping the bottom for some of the dream tunes.