The GREATEST books ever

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Were you my freshman year english teacher? Because that looks suspiciously like our reading list.

You should see my reading list for the past 6 months. I've probably read about 30 books and probably 5 of them were written after 1900. I love classics.

the coral island - r. m. ballantyne (the greatest adventure book i've ever read. three boys on a coral island. pirates. natives. killing pigs. it's the basis for "lord of the flies" too)

tortilla flat - john steinbeck (very funny. and, just like cannery row, it makes you wish you could be just a little like the characters that inhabit the story)

if not now, when? - primo levi (a brilliant account of the realities of war on people - and how to survive in such times)

the gambler - f. m. dostoevsky (one of his lighter books. very funny in parts. and has a great character - the grandmother. pulling apart the workings of high-society)

before adam - jack london (written from the perspective of an ape. showing the evolution from ape to man)

A Prayer For Owen Meany - John Irving (nice to see this one all over this thread!)

Breakfast of Champions - Kurt Vonnegut

Gulliver's Travels - Jonathan Swift

The Catcher In The Rye - JD Salinger

The Great Gatsby - F Scott Fitzgerald

There are so many honorable mentions, it sucks to leave out some great writers (Peter Guralnick, Paul Auster, Sam Shepard, David Sedaris, Tom Perotta) but there are no books I like enough to replace any of the above. They all made me "feel physically as if the top of my head were taken off."

tortilla flat - john steinbeck (very funny. and, just like cannery row, it makes you wish you could be just a little like the characters that inhabit the story)

They really are companion books and I've probably read Tortilla Flat more times than Cannery Row. A toss up for me, really, between the two.

A Confederacy Of Dunces- J. Kennedy Toole

Catcher in the Rye-Salinger

On the Road-Kerouac

The Power of Myth-Joseph Campbell

And for pure stupid fun: Hammer of the Gods The Led Zeppelin Saga-Richard Cole

The Autobiography Of Malcolm X - Malcolm X/Alex Haley

Harpo Speaks! - Harpo Marx/Rowland Barber

9 Stories - J.D. Salinger

Haroun and the Sea of Stories - Salaman Rushdie

The Tao Te Ching

Slaughterhouse 5 - Kurt Vonnegut

So, that's 6. So sue me!

A Confederacy Of Dunces- J. Kennedy Toole

I can't believe I left that off. The more I read these the more I want to change my original 5! I'm not sure it's possible to pick just 5. A Confederacy of Dunces is a must read for anybody.

I can't believe I left that off. The more I read these the more I want to change my original 5! I'm not sure it's possible to pick just 5. A Confederacy of Dunces is a must read for anybody.

Someday that will hit me the right way and I'll read it (tried twice).

RE:

J.D. Salinger - 9 Stories

"A Fine Day For Bananafish" is one of the most heartbreaking things that I have ever read. Kills me every time.

1. Old Testament -- God

2. New Testmant -- God

the rest of you are going to burn

I've read the Old Testament and it's pretty entertaining. The Red Tent is on my list and that's about the story of Dinah from the book of Genesis. So I might not burn quite as bad as the rest.

The Divine Comedy - Dante

The Brothers Karamazov - Dostoevsky

Pride and Prejudice - Austin

Where the Sidewalk Ends - Silverstein

The Hobbit - Tolkien

Slaughterhouse-Five - Vonnegut

The Old Man and the Sea - Hemingway

The Adventures of Augie March - Bellow

Of Mice and Men - Steinbeck

Rabbit, Run - Updike