• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Franny and Zooey / J.D. Salinger

The Things They Carried / Tim O'Brien

A Rumor of War / Philip Caputo

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy / Douglas Adams

A Tale of Two Cities / Charles Dickens

Honorable mention to O'Brien's If I Die in a Combat Zone, which fills in some of the gaps in TTTC. And also to anything Salinger wrote, ever.

Speaking of Salinger, I'm curious how many of you who listed Catcher in the Rye have read any of his other stuff. Specifically his stories about the Glass family.

Paddle to the Sea - Holling

I LOVE this book. I read it over and over as a kid. I gave it to my two nephews who were born in Georgia and are now living in Northern VA, just to make sure that they have an appreciation for the Great Lakes. They love it too.

Of the stuff I truly loved, these are the five that spring to mind.

Snow Crash - Neal Stephenson

A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole

Vineland - Thomas Pynchon

Typical - Padgett Powell (story collection)

Still Life With Woodpecker - Tom Robbins

I LOVE this book. I read it over and over as a kid. I gave it to my two nephews who were born in Georgia and are now living in Northern VA, just to make sure that they have an appreciation for the Great Lakes. They love it too.

Coolio.

I have no idea how well-known this book is. I inherited my copy from my father, and it's a perfect balance of story + art + maps...

here are the first 5 that popped in:

1. anna karenina - tolstoy

2. childhood, boyhood, youth - tolstoy

3. owen meany - irving

4. metroland - barnes

5. the wilco book

just kidding on #5. I am 500 pages into Infinite jest, and I am keeping a seat warm for it.

I noticed not much tolstoy in this thread. Is this because folks have read him and don't like him or haven't read him?

I forgot about To Kill a Mockingbird.

One of the few great books that also made a great movie.

The Tipping Point - Malcom Gladwell I have read it out 15 times since I was 13.

after the quake - Haruki Murakami

Hitchhikers Guide - Douglass Adams

Them - Joyce Carol Oats

Satanic Verses - Rushdie

The Wealth of Nations - Adam Smith

Also everything by Phillip Roth, Vonnegut, and Salinger.

1. Lady Chatterly's Lover * D.H. Lawrence

2. The World According to Garp * John Irving

3. The Poisonwood Bible * Barbara Kingsolver

4. Lord of the Rings * Tolkein

5. The Harry Potter series * JK Rowling

not to sound sexist, but I wonder how many folks that listed Confederacy of Dunces are guys and how many folks that listed The Poisonwood Bible are girls. :) and i noticed no one listed Ulysses which is supposed to be the book of all books on those top lists. curious.

My list:

1. East of Eden - Steinbeck...epic in every way.

2. Ragtime - E.L. Doctorow...wrote my undergrad thesis on this book, much like the "Things They Carried" in that it addresses the nature of storytelling and fiction.

3. The Fountainhead - Rand...Read this in high school during the rebellious years, reread it years later thinking that I would find the philosophy ridiculous and it was still powerfully resonant.

4. To Kill A Mockingbird - Lee...the great American novel?

5. Timequake - Kurt Vonnegut...Love Vonnegut and this reads like he was throwing it all in, the summation of his life, his philosophies...it reads like he knew it was going to be his last book (novel), which it was.

honorable mentions:

Fahrenheit 451 - Bradbury...don't know how many have read this since high school, but the man predicted reality television in 1952...that's insane.

Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood.

You know, this thread is just making me realize how little i've read over the past few years, and I think this is the reason I feel like my writing is getting worse and I'm getting dumber.

You'll snap out of it - you're supposed to be dumb in college.

So many of the books listed could be in my top 5 as well, so I'm going to add a few that haven't shown up:

Out of Africa ~ Isak Dinesen

Fall On Your Knees ~ Ann-Marie McDonald

In Watermelon Sugar ~ Richard Brautigan

Siddhartha ~ Herman Hesse

Sometimes A Great Notion ~ Ken Kesey

Easy Travel To Other Planets ~ Ted Mooney

And two 'children's' books:

Goodnight Moon ~ Margaret Wise Brown

The Little Prince ~ Antoine de Saint-Exup

You know, this thread is just making me realize how little i've read over the past few years, and I think this is the reason I feel like my writing is getting worse and I'm getting dumber.

I always took a literature class as electives throughout school to avoid that feeling. Text books don't substitute for good reading. My favorite was a Native American Literature course - Sherman Alexie, Louise Erdich, etc. One of the best, or most memorable, classes I took.

I always took a literature class as electives throughout school to avoid that feeling. Text books don't substitute for good reading. My favorite was a Native American Literature course - Sherman Alexie, Louise Erdich, etc. One of the best, or most memorable, classes I took.

Love Medicine (1984)

The Beet Queen (1986)

Tracks (1988)

(I recall this was a heck of a wait.)

The Bingo Palace (1994)