The GREATEST books ever

The Sun Also Rises - Hemingway

The only Hemingway I have read was "A farewell to arms" back in middle school. It did not leave a good impression on me so never went back for more.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only Hemingway I have read was "A farewell to arms" back in middle school. It did not leave a good impression on me so never went back for more.

You should try the above mentioned, Moss. I probably should have listed The Sun....in my top 5, as well. An excellent book that is also a fairly quick read. I read that book in high school one time and it still leaves a favorable impression on me.

I have read a lot of Hemingway and, strangely, the only book of his I can't get even halfway through is Farewell to Arms. So I would recommend trying others. Sun Also Rises is great, Old Man and the Sea is either boring or amazing, and a lot of his short stories can't be beat. A Clean Well-Lighted Place blew my mind when I was 16 or 17.

No particular order:

A Prayer For Owen Meany-John Irving

The 13th Valley-John DelVecchio

Catcher In The Rye- J D Salinger

The Stand (un-abridged) Stephen King

Going After Cacciato-Tim O'brien

Acid Dreams (The CIA, LSD, and the Sixties Rebellion) - Martin Lee and Bruce Shlain

F*ck dude...I had that one too.....Prolly the first printing,too!!!

"Confessions Of A Crap Artist"-Philip K. Dick

"A Soldier Of The Great War"-Mark Helprin

"This Boy's Life"-Tobias Wolff

"Before The Storm-Memories Of My Youth In Old Prussia"--Marion,Countess Donhoff

"There But For Fortune:The Life Of Phil Ochs"--Michael Schumacher

I guess in this mix of fiction and not so much..... is the theme of 'shock and awe" that beguiles me in all of these.....i'm reading the last one again for about the tenth time.......I struggle each time.

-Robert