5. What We Know

6. Calming The Snake

7. Poison Arrow

8. Malibu Gas Station

9. Thunderclap For Bobby Pyn

10. No Way

11. Walkin Blue

12. Massage The History

Mark Ibold, Matador, and a song for Gregory Corso? I'm in.

Oops, you are 100% correct. Murray Street is great.

Rather Ripped is my fave from the bunch but they are all really good.

;)

it's crazy how consistently great they've been in the 00's (well NYCF&G was pretty hit or miss), over 25 years into their career... not too many bands who can boast that

I think it comes out June 9. Definitely sometime in June. I saw them for the first time back in September, and they completely knocked me on my ass. I've only been listening to them seriously for about a year and a half and still have a lot of their albums to get, but Sonic Nurse has been one of my favorites the last few months, along with parts of Washing Machine.

I really like "Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star", probably because it was the first of theirs I heard. It's not mentioned much when people take of their favorite SY records. Am I alone in liking it?

no, i like it a lot too

I doubt it, but as I said in another thread last night, that would be just about the most awesome thing ever for me, musically at least. I saw Nels on the same bill as Lee and Thurston back at the (now defunct :ohwell ) Knitting Factory back in September, and I kept hoping they'd all play together, but it didn't happen.

I doubt it, but as I said in another thread last night, that would be just about the most awesome thing ever for me, musically at least. I saw Nels on the same bill as Lee and Thurston back at the (now defunct :ohwell ) Knitting Factory back in September, and I kept hoping they'd all play together, but it didn't happen.

Exactly. I can just imagine how cool it would be to have Sonic Youth with an ocassional Nels guesting on that tour on some Youth songs and then ocassional Wilco noise augmented by even more guitars. Sweet indeed. Unlikely unfortunately. I would pay good money for that.

I really like "Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star", probably because it was the first of theirs I heard. It's not mentioned much when people take of their favorite SY records. Am I alone in liking it?

It was either my first or second SY album (the other being washing machine), thus it holds a special place in my musical heart. Other than Daydream and Murray Street, I listen to it more than the other SY albums. I was actually shocked to find out that a lot of people really didn't dig it.

Man, a Wilco/Sonic Youth tour would be fantastic! I also love "Experimental, jet set...". I think part of the deal with that CD is it's a bit more mellow. Actually I don't know if mellow is the right word. I tend to grab Sonic Youth when I want to crank it to ten and hear some dissonance so I don't think of that one but I always love it when I listen to it. Just have to be in the right mood for that one where Daydream I can always listen to it.

All music sums up their critique of Experimental Jet Set as "In other words, Experimental Jet Set, Trash & No Star features the underlying foundation of the group's music standing naked, without any of their traditionally excessive static to heighten it."

Which honestly I don't know that I agree with. There are Sonic Youth albums that don't click for me, but that one has a lot of really good both mellow and hooky songs.

For anybody who lives in or near Northampton, Thurston Moore will be doing a book signing on Tuesday:

"I know everyone wants to know when we're going to open, but we just can't tell you yet! We are so close to having an opening date, that we have begun booking shows for the summer! A construction update will happen soon. We promise.

In the meantime, please come out to support our renovation efforts by attending this event. Thurston Moore complied a wonderful book of photos of the early New York No Wave scene in the late 70s with Byron Coley. Thurston will regale us with tales from the underground, as well as some rare footage. He will sign copies of the book as well. Here are the deets!"

THURSTON MOORE presenting and reading from his collaboration with Byron Coley No Wave:Post-Punk. Underground. New York. 1976-1980

March 3 2009 7:30pm APE Gallery

126 main st northampton.ma

http://www.flywheelarts.org

http://www.apearts.org/

Donations will be accepted to assist Flywheel in the renovation of our new home at Old Town Hall in Easthampton

Flywheel thanks A.P.E. for the generous use of their space

If this were the following Tuesday, I'd be on spring break and I could go. :frusty