Travel - Suggest Places That People Must Visit

Guest Gym Teacher Man

i quite enjoyed Stockholm. never mind that i was pretty much hammered the whole time. it's a beautiful city made up of 24,000+ islands. can't go wrong.

the girls really are gorgeous too. and they flock to the american guys...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i quite enjoyed Stockholm. never mind that i was pretty much hammered the whole time. it's a beautiful city made up of 24,000+ islands. can't go wrong.

the girls really are gorgeous too. and they flock to the american guys...

How much do you suppose a one-way ticket costs?

We're going to be in Ecuador in less than a year. I have always wanted to check out the Galapagos, but trips out there are SOOO expensive.

I had a friend who went there to go Scuba. They went on a liveaboard and dove several times daily. That's what I want to do. There are hundreds of hammerhead sharks that I think seeing would make the trip perfect.

I must sy tht Seminary Ridge is not s imposing as I had anticipated. The Battlefield is smaller than I anticipated yet also larger.

Seminary? Or Cemetary? When I went the battlefield was over grown and not even close to 1863 conditions so Little round top, devils den and the slaughter pen were not as impressive as I thought they might be. I believe everything has been cleared out sicne then. I have to get back.

Seminary? Or Cemetary? When I went the battlefield was over grown and not even close to 1863 conditions so Little round top, devils den and the slaughter pen were not as impressive as I thought they might be. I believe everything has been cleared out sicne then. I have to get back.

Seminary. Seminary ridge is the strip of land between the town of Gettysburg, and Little Round Top. Cemetery Hill is the hill on the north side of Seminary Ridge where the bulk of the Union troops were positioned during the battle.

You are correct, the battlefield has been cleared out of many trees (sorry tree huggers) to make it look as it did in 1863. I'll be going in April, first time since I was a little kid.

I'll second this. No effin way in the world would I do that.. I'm not terrified of heights, but I stay away from them unless I have to for my job.. I would enjoyed the Guinness just as much on the ground.

Ha! Actually it is quite a different sensation than walking up to, say, the edge of the observation deck of the Hancock Building. You're aid climbing which is very slow moving, so you very gradually get accustomed to height. Plus, if you've been climbing for years, you trust your gear and your abilities (not to mention your partner). But I'm not really scared of heights either. The Buttress is about 1200 feet total and you bivy about halfway up. Free climbing it would only take a few hours to climb 600 feet, but aid climbing it took all day.

Ha! Actually it is quite a different sensation than walking up to, say, the edge of the observation deck of the Hancock Building. You're aid climbing which is very slow moving, so you very gradually get accustomed to height. Plus, if you've been climbing for years, you trust your gear and your abilities (not to mention your partner). But I'm not really scared of heights either. The Buttress is about 1200 feet total and you bivy about halfway up. Free climbing it would only take a few hours to climb 600 feet, but aid climbing it took all day.

I'm sure the view is amazing, but I'm just not sure I could do it.. And I start getting dizzy when I go up for than 30 feet or so. I have to use a scissor lift for my job sometimes to get to wireless access points, and I get dizzy just doing that..

So I'm not into the climbing. I LOVE primitive camping though. I go backpacking in the Blue Ridge Mountains every summer.

Canon Beach in Oregon. Beautiful trees, seastacks, ocean, and the mountains are pretty close too.

I can second this. Haystack Rock is majestic. If you like rock formations on/near the shore, an obvious destination is Cabo.

Haystack Rock at Canon Beach:

399460927_4aaf4ca954.jpg

Cabo San Lucas:

Los_Cabos_cabo-san-lucas04a.jpg

We're going to be in Ecuador in less than a year. I have always wanted to check out the Galapagos, but trips out there are SOOO expensive.

worth every penny...

do a 7 day cruise - we did smaller boat, encantada... Trip of a lifetime.

If you got some time to kill, get out there and wheel and deal a last minute trip.

IMG_6061.JPG

Make sure to climb to the top of Wayna Picchu (aka Huayna Picchu, the peak in the middle of the photo). It's worth it.

and get there via the inca trail..... also worth it..

and if in Guatemala/Belize a side trip to Tikal

IMG_3802.JPG

IMG_3802.JPG

Cabo San Lucas:

Los_Cabos_cabo-san-lucas04a.jpg

We just got back form Cabo. Here is a whale just off shore from the arch.

n1194518786_30221190_1089.jpg

worth every penny...

do a 7 day cruise - we did smaller boat, encantada... Trip of a lifetime.

If you got some time to kill, get out there and wheel and deal a last minute trip.

IMG_6061.JPG

Okay well full disclosure time. I had an ulterior motive for starting this thread. My fiance and I are taking an ... umm... extended honeymoon. Eight months to a year to be exact. We leave in the fall and will be spending time in S. America, Africa, SE Asia, Australia, New Zealand and then wrapping it up on the beaches of Palau. We will be renting our house for the year and we have no other debt. So we will have no homeland expenses. We are budgeting $50K for the year for both of us. And, based on reports from friends who have done similar trips, that will be more than enough for the type of travel we want to do (i.e. not staying in fancy hotels and eating at expensive restaurants. This is also why Europe is not on the docket. Too expensive right now and is something we can easily do with kids later. So, while a 7 day cruise of the Galapagos sounds great, it is not exactly in keeping with our budget travel plans. But we do have time, so maybe we can negotiate something down there as you suggest.