Travel - Suggest Places That People Must Visit

What are some of your favorite places in the world? Be specific! Instead of saying "Mexico," say "Punta Allen, Mexico." And give a little bit of your reasons why. List as many as you'd like!

I'll start.

Punta Allen, Mexico - A small fishing village south of Tulum on the Yucatan Peninsula. I went there back in 2003 and in the week we were there, we saw only a handful of other tourists. We rented a house from an ex-pat named Sirena (her real name!) who had tried to sail around the world three separate times and sank all three boats. The last one sank off the coast of Punta Allen and she stayed. But she was really the only expat we met (American or otherwise). It really was a local fishing town. It is located relatively close to Tulum but the rough dirt down through the biopreserve (the only land access) kept most Tulum tourist away. A great little spot to get away from it all and truly have those white sand beaches all to yourself. Oh and if you're a bonerfisherman, it is world class.

Santa Catalina, Panama - A bit more of a expat haven, no Spanish is required. Though a little Spanish will allow you to get to know the mostly non-English speaking native Panamanians who are very friendly. We stayed at a place called Oasis Surf Camp which is at the end of the road. Actually it is beyond the end of the road. Oasis is located on the far side of an estuary and is passable only by a very elevated four wheel drive truck (owned by the Italian family the runs Oasis) and only at low tide. When we arrived (three busses from Panama City) we had to hold our backpacks above our heads while wading across. The main attraction is surfing. The break here is considered by many to be amongst the best on the entire Pacific coast of the Americas. But also there is great scuba diving. We spent a great deal of time out at Coiba, a large island that was a prison colony under Noriega, that is now a park. This is some of the most untouched rainforest in the world and truly beautiful on land and below the water. The diving is fantastic, but don't expect colorful corals and tropical fish. This is big fish territory and we swam with sharks, barracuda and rays among literally hundreds of other species. I believe it will become popular very quickly, but when we were there Thanksgiving 2007, there were very few rooms for rent and the total cost for 8 days (including at least 2 meals per day and a lot of beer) was $250 for the both of us... including tip!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say Gettysburg.

It's the site of the greatest battle even fought on American soil, where Lincoln gave his famous Gettysburg address, and the battle of Gettysburg was the turning point of the Civil War which led to the preservation of the Union. Everyone should visit it once in their life time.

Amsterdam, Netherlands.

Where you can the best weed from a menu at a bar and even fresh psychodelic shrooms at your local drug store. Where prositutes are legal. All this causing a culture unlike any you have felt. Not to mention the beautiful architecture with canals running through the whole city and wonderful resturants and nightlife. I felt like I was living in a dream world when I was there.

Kyoto Japan- Awesome history. there are handfuls of buildings from the 800's..it is supposedly the only Japanese city that really survived all the wars, natural disasters etc...I loved every part of Kyoto!

Jerusalem, Israel- Same as Kyoto except older....the 4 quaters was awesome and I am not to religous but seeing all the holy places for the Jews, christians and Muslims was moving....

Tasmania, Australia- Pretty cool. Air so fresh, views so amazing friendly people! Everyone should go!

Kyoto Japan- Awesome history. there are handfuls of buildings from the 800's..it is supposedly the only Japanese city that really survived all the wars, natural disasters etc...I loved every part of Kyoto!
This has been on my wish list since I was a kid. Some day! :pray

Zion National Park, UT - the place is simply beautiful. We camped there while traveling cross country, arriving after dark. Set up tents, ate dinner, hit the sack. The following morning, my breath was stolen from my lungs upon opening the tent and stepping out into the middle of it all - it felt like an epiphany.

I'll never forget it.

Zion is great. I climbed the Moonlight Buttress with a friend and spent Thanksgiving night 1994 on a portaledge halfway up. Cracked a couple of Guinness Draft cans to celebrate the holiday!

1131399010_4e8733af00.jpg

(note: this is not my picture, but I did the exact same thing)

I would say Gettysburg.

It's the site of the greatest battle even fought on American soil, where Lincoln gave his famous Gettysburg address, and the battle of Gettysburg was the turning point of the Civil War which led to the preservation of the Union. Everyone should visit it once in their life time.

I must sy tht Seminary Ridge is not s imposing as I had anticipated. The Battlefield is smaller than I anticipated yet also larger.

Yes on Zion.

Sestri Levante, Italy. Little fishing village outside touristy Cinque Terra. There are some tourists, but from other areas of Italy. Sat my ass on the beach for a week only to rise for octopus and wine.

Belize-Carocol-Mayan site. Climbed the tallest building in Belize, which happens to be a Mayan temple.

Oh, and Weymouth, MA. I used to teach art at the high school there.

Zion is great. I climbed the Moonlight Buttress with a friend and spent Thanksgiving night 1994 on a portaledge halfway up. Cracked a couple of Guinness Draft cans to celebrate the holiday!

1131399010_4e8733af00.jpg

(note: this is not my picture, but I did the exact same thing)

Sweet virgin mother of the infant baby Jesus, waking up to that view would have elicited the opposite response entirely. My intense fear of heights pretty much keeps me grounded

I had a history teacher that just drilled into us on a weekly basis that if you do nothing else before you die, you have to visit Machu Picchu. Hopefully I will get there one day.

Make sure to climb to the top of Wayna Picchu (aka Huayna Picchu, the peak in the middle of the photo). It's worth it.

I must sy tht Seminary Ridge is not s imposing as I had anticipated. The Battlefield is smaller than I anticipated yet also larger.

Yeah, that's usually how battlefields on when you see them in real life, especially the ones that have been preserved so well. It's amazing that nearly 200,000 men fought in a relatively small area.