Split Rights to UT and Mermaid Tracks?

It's not a rights issue, you're free to play pretty much any piece of music you'd like live without having to pay royalty rights. Though the songwriting in Uncle Tupelo was split three ways on the first two records, I believe like R.E.M. they decided to split the royalties three ways no matter who wrote the song and for the most part Tweedy wrote the songs he sang, Farrar wrote the songs he sang and they didn't really collaborate much.

Jay Bennett wrote the chorus of Jesus, etc and most of the music.

Thanks, Mike. That is for the most part what I was wondering about and driving at with my question. Thank you for answering it.

Jay Bennett wrote the chorus of Jesus, etc and most of the music.

I know he can make it very hard for people to like him, but I just can't dump on a guy who'd end an interview that way.

--Mike.

I don't know of any way to prove that one. And that interview ending is what a girl would write in her friend's yearbook.

Guest Gym Teacher Man
How is that clear, exactly?

I guess it was clear to me that those are Jeff's lyrics? Which apparently might not be completely true. I don't know.

I don't know of any way to prove that one. And that interview ending is what a girl would write in her friend's yearbook.

On "the list", he says much of the music, some of the lyrics.

On "the list", he says much of the music, some of the lyrics.

Oh that list is nutty. I don't believe for a second he wrote any of those lyrics.

Not that Wikipedia is any more honest than Bennett, but:

All lyrics by Jeff Tweedy. Music written by Jeff Tweedy and Jay Bennett except where noted.

"I Am Trying to Break Your Heart" (Tweedy)

From Kicking Television liner notes:

10. Jesus, Etc.

(Lyrics: Jeff Tweedy; Music: Jeff Tweedy/Jay Bennett)

Words Ampersand Music/Warner Tamerlane Pub. Corp. (BMI); You Want a Piece of This Music (ASCAP)

Maybe what Wilco needs is a Bez to credit with freaky dancing. But all of the drugs would likely be a bad idea.

I just happen to throw on 1.9.00 tonight and J.P. sang a great (or least fun) version of Walt Whitman's Niece. I forgot about that one.

Yeah, Jay Bennett wrote the chorus and some of the lyrics for that.

I owe you a beer. So how can "the list" be taken seriously? Maybe he didn't play "noiz".

I've been listening to the Original and Engineer's Demos recently. I can see how he can say he did or played all of those things in the last during the develpment of the album, but in regards to what appears on the final product, it seems the list is about half true.

Why do people get upset at the idea that Jay Bennett co-wrote a song that they like? Is it more romantic to imagine that Wilco's best material sprung fully-formed out of Jeff Tweedy's head?

Nah, no one is upset. Its the manner in which Bennett waves his own banner around. Who knows what he did. I don't think that anyone would argue that most of the best material does spring from Jeff Tweedy.

Why do people get upset at the idea that Jay Bennett co-wrote a song that they like? Is it more romantic to imagine that Wilco's best material sprung fully-formed out of Jeff Tweedy's head?

:thumbup. I think I am just going to have to accept that fact that I feel completely different about this matter than some other people on here.

--Mike.

Guest Gym Teacher Man
Some of the chord changes in Jesus, etc. definitely have Jay's fingerprints on them, though I can't picture him making a huge contribution to those lyrics. Jay could write some pretty melodies, but those words aren't his style.

I think that was what I meant when I said the lyrics were clearly Jeff's.

I certainly am not upset that Jay had a hand in the writing of Jesus, etc.. It's probably a top 5 Wilco song for me. But if he didn't write the lyrics, he probably shouldn't get credit, yeah?