not really getting into others at all (Souljacker, Shootenany)

--Mike.

sounds like something that could have been on Shootenanny! - which i don't care too much for.

Dang. I love Shootenanny. Maybe my favorite. I know that's heresy, but it just hits me right. What don't you guys like about it? Also, hard to think of better meat to the middle of the lineup than the 3-4-5-6 hitters (Good Old Days > Love of the Loveless > Dirty Girl > Agony). I guess the '27 Yankees were better.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dang. I love Shootenanny. Maybe my favorite. I know that's heresy, but it just hits me right. What don't you guys like about it? Also, hard to think of better meat to the middle of the lineup than the 3-4-5-6 hitters (Good Old Days > Love of the Loveless > Dirty Girl > Agony).

It's up there for me, too. Love it.

Dang. I love Shootenanny. Maybe my favorite. I know that's heresy, but it just hits me right. What don't you guys like about it? Also, hard to think of better meat to the middle of the lineup than the 3-4-5-6 hitters (Good Old Days > Love of the Loveless > Dirty Girl > Agony). I guess the '27 Yankees were better.

was it your first Eels record?

it just seems like pretty basic rock, no surprises really or uniqueness in relation to his prior catalog.

was it your first Eels record?

it just seems like pretty basic rock, no surprises really or uniqueness in relation to his prior catalog.

Nah, Blinking Lights was (tip of the cap to Beltmann) and then I worked back. I agree that it's pretty basic rock, but that's not a problem in my mind. I think some of those songs are beautful, if not ground-breaking. But I definitely put it on when I want to have fun. So I see what you are getting at. Diff'rent strokes is cool with me. Was just curious.

Nah, Blinking Lights was (tip of the cap to Beltmann) and then I worked back. I agree that it's pretty basic rock, but that's not a problem in my mind. I think some of those songs are beautful, if not ground-breaking. But I definitely put it on when I want to have fun. So I see what you are getting at. Diff'rent strokes is cool with me. Was just curious.

I've been a fan for a long time, and I like Shootenanny too! "Fashion Awards" makes me laugh out loud every time. You may know this, but that album was just thrown together to try to cure a case of writers/producers block while he was working on "Blinking Lights". I think the previous poster is right, there's nothing ground-breaking or unique on it, really. But for as heavy as E's catalog is, a good rocker to break things up is all right with me... I like all of his albums, and cannot wait for the new one. Eels and Wilco in the same month! YEEEHEWWW!

Nah, Blinking Lights was (tip of the cap to Beltmann)

:thumbup

My first contact was with Beautiful Freak and I've been a huge fan ever since. Shootenanny felt like a departure in terms of tone, but it still felt like the Eels and I grew to love it. It's not quite in the same category as Freak, Electro, Daisies, and Blinking--at least not to me--but the Eels canon is still enriched by at least half of its songs. It's a great Saturday morning record and I still listen to it often.

• 3 weeks later...

there's a new video up on their Myspace, too.

Read the new issue of MOJO Magazine's early review of the EELS HOMBRE LOBO album here:

EELS

HOMBRE LOBO

**** 4 stars

by James McNair

Birds do it, bees do it, even beardly blokes named E do it...

EELS' first studio record in four years presents E, aka Mark Oliver Everett, as a horny man-wolf. "Got her right here in my sights/Got a fuse that I can light," he drools on feral blues nugget Tremendous Dynamite, but concerns about our host's stalker tendencies ease with That Look You Give That Guy, a romantic slice of vulnerability built on rolling guitar chords.

The record's shrinking violet/rutting stag shifts in mood make for a gripping listen, E conjuring Howlin' Wolf (Prizefighter), then sounding winningly out of sorts amid echoey, spaced out guitars (The Longing). With Fresh Blood powering a Neanderthal lust, and My Timing Is Off packing gentle optimism, HOMBRE LOBO gives us much to ponder upon as it shifts through courtship's different gears.

Lean and timeless sounding, it's also as truthful as Everett's sobering autobiography, THINGS THE GRANDCHILDREN SHOULD KNOW.

Lean and timeless sounding, it's also as truthful as Everett's sobering autobiography, THINGS THE GRANDCHILDREN SHOULD KNOW.

Anyone read this? The guy's been through so many negative experiences and has been able to channel that into fabulous, if sometimes depressed and sobering, albums.

He's written MANY songs that I think are absolute genius...including the song that names his autobiography.

'Things the Grandchildren should know' is a really great book. I read it over the course of a weekend (a real page-turner). As mentioned above, he has experienced so many harrowing events in his life. This is reflected in his work, but there is always a sense of optimism imparted in his records. I would seriously recommend the book, even if you don't like the Eels.

As stated above, the song 'Things the Grandchildren should know' is a total classic, esspecially the Live at Town Hall version. My favourite Eels song has gotta be 'The medication's wearing off' from Electro Shock Blues.

Anyone read this? The guy's been through so many negative experiences and has been able to channel that into fabulous, if sometimes depressed and sobering, albums.

He's written MANY songs that I think are absolute genius...including the song that names his autobiography.

'Things the Grandchildren should know' is a really great book. I read it over the course of a weekend (a real page-turner). As mentioned above, he has experienced so many harrowing events in his life. This is reflected in his work, but there is always a sense of optimism imparted in his records. I would seriously recommend the book, even if you don't like the Eels.

As stated above, the song 'Things the Grandchildren should know' is a total classic, esspecially the Live at Town Hall version. My favourite Eels song has gotta be 'The medication's wearing off' from Electro Shock Blues.

I was late to Eels, and "Things the Grandchildren Should Know" knocked me out on the first listen and made me stand up and take notice. Thusly, it will probably always be my favorite of his. I need to check out the book. Just haven't gotten around to it.

The book is a great, quick, read. I can't remember who it was, but I recall some funny anecdotes about some famous musicians in there. I had a crush on E before, but it grew exponentially with the book. He's such a funny, humble guy and he's handled all his life's tragedies so gracefully.

Read it and loved it so much I purchased the audiobook with The Chet narrating it. I have never been able to get through an audiobook and I am in the middle of my fourth time with this one.

I actually got into Eels mostly after hearing an amazing live version of "Fresh Feeling" (from Souljacker) on a late-night tv show. I think Shootenanny! is one of my fave albums by them, probably for me right now it's: Daisies > ESB > Shootenanny > everything else. Blinking Lights was good but I think a little draggy in places.

This new song is great! I love their creepier songs best, I think that "Tiger in the Tank" song is wai underrated. What a great idea for an album, I am now on pins n needles waiting for this one.

I was late to Eels, and "Things the Grandchildren Should Know" knocked me out on the first listen and made me stand up and take notice.

I've been a big fan from the beginning, but "Things the Grandchildren Should Know" still surprised me... it might be my favorite Eels song. Like many of his songs, it's emotionally devastating but it also expresses real wisdom and a touching fortitude.

what is it about Grandchildren you like - the lyrics?

the melody/music is pretty standard.

i actually watched my live DVD that came with Useless Trinkets last night and a good bit of the videos with Essentials.

it's funny how much he hates the Susan's House video (he does commentary for all the vids with his dog).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The website that shall not be named wasn't too kind to this one (or come to think of it any Eels album) in their review this morning, it's grown a lot on me, I wasn't too thrilled with about half of the album on first listen, but there are a ton of killer tracks. I love E's songwriting.

--Mike

I've only listened to it a few times, but so far I am disappointed. I actually thought the Pitchfork review hit on a lot of things that are bothering me about it.

There were some things that grabbed me on first listen, many things that didn't, but I'm convinced at this point it's just an average album which puts it right in line with every single album I've heard this year. Nothing has come close to making me feel how Blitzen Trapper and Deerhoof's albums made me feel last year and, sadly, the most consistent album I've heard so far is still Fastball's (which is just a pretty solid pop/rock album).

The songs that have hooked me on this Eels album seem to be the more upbeat ones, but the Pitchfork review was spot-on when it mentioned this sounding like a "formulaic Eels record" in their description. Take a little of this, a little of that, add some depression, and BAM it's an Eels song. If I'm being honest, this album will probably be mostly forgotten by year's end as long as SOMETHING better than Fastball and Wilco comes out (it shouldn't be hard...) but it's not a bad album by any means. It's just average.

The website that shall not be named wasn't too kind to this one (or come to think of it any Eels album) in their review this morning, it's grown a lot on me, I wasn't too thrilled with about half of the album on first listen, but there are a ton of killer tracks. I love E's songwriting.

--Mike

Agreed completely. I was slightly disappointed upon first listen but it has definitely grown on me. I'd like to hear this one with a full orchestra. I am of the belief that he should do all of his songs with an orchestra after initial release. :music