• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've given this a few spins. I like it, but it's not sounding as special as some of his records. The good songs are really great, like Prizefighter, The Look You Give That Guy, and Fresh Blood. But the lyrics aren't overall as solid as Blinking Lights and Electro-shock Blues. Admittedly, that's high standards, but hard not to compare. I'm glad I bought it, but wish it was better...especially knowing it's been 4 years since his last.

I can understand where that Pitchfork article is coming from. I certainly hear bits of other eels output on these songs. So, sure, it's not a vast departure or reinvention in any sense. And you know what? I don't care. I dig it. And I'd be reading a review (either on Pitchfork or elsewhere) complaining that E changed "too much" or for the worse, if this was more experimental or whatever other people demand of artists.

I can understand where that Pitchfork article is coming from. I certainly hear bits of other eels output on these songs. So, sure, it's not a vast departure or reinvention in any sense. And you know what? I don't care. I dig it. And I'd be reading a review (either on Pitchfork or elsewhere) complaining that E changed "too much" or for the worse, if this was more experimental or whatever other people demand of artists.

Yeah. I kinda think this^^^. I've been a fan of Eels since day 1 (good for me), and have been listening and gathering my sparse thoughts. There are a couple of songs that REALLY sound like other Eels tunes (much more than the BBN/Spiders or On and On and On/I'll Fight nonsense), but I don't care, they mos def sound Eels all the way (Souljacker/Shootenanny Eels at least, with that mouth-on-mic yelling stuff). I have not read the other reviews/posts, so I hope to not repeat too badly, but I will argue this album is quite different than the others (minus maybe some of Shootenanny) in one significant way: Most of the songs (in the same vein of W(TA)) are much less self-aware, more confident, organic, animalistic, down-to-earth tunes than the other albums. Which is refreshing. After E's recent divorce... an entire album dedicated to getting laid. God bless him. That is one thing that we HAVEN'T heard from Eels in the past very much. So, although some of the effects, keys, and chord progressions may be similar to other Eels works, the theme IS unique... and maybe that is why some don't care for it...

I have not read the other reviews/posts, so I hope to not repeat too badly, but I will argue this album is quite different than the others (minus maybe some of Shootenanny) in one significant way: Most of the songs (in the same vein of W(TA)) are much less self-aware, more confident, organic, animalistic, down-to-earth tunes than the other albums. Which is refreshing. After E's recent divorce... an entire album dedicated to getting laid. God bless him. That is one thing that we HAVEN'T heard from Eels in the past very much. So, although some of the effects, keys, and chord progressions may be similar to other Eels works, the theme IS unique... and maybe that is why some don't care for it...

This nails where my heart is at on this one. Also I think most Eels albums can be loosely categorized into loud-eels / quiet-eels, but I find this one synthesizes the parts I like of each of those sides quite nicely.

• 2 months later...

just bought "hombre lobo" last night. first spin this morning and i love it. man oh man. :music

I love that you love it. I love it, too. I'm not sure I've listened to another album more since June. It's been in particularly heavy rotation this past week.

i only wish i'd bought it sooner so that i could have listened to it over the summer. those howl are definitely born of a summer feeling. B)

It was definitely one of the soundtracks to my summer. It rarely left the car's CD changer.

--Mike

• 5 weeks later...

wasting no time - myspace announcement:

END TIMES are coming: New EELS album due January 19:

The eighth EELS studio album, entitled END TIMES, will be released January 19, 2010. Stay tuned to www.EELStheband.com for album info as it comes in.

wasting no time - myspace announcement:

END TIMES are coming: New EELS album due January 19:

The eighth EELS studio album, entitled END TIMES, will be released January 19, 2010. Stay tuned to www.EELStheband.com for album info as it comes in.

I wasn't expecting to see another album so soon after 'Hombre'. Whilst I do love 'hombre' I am hoping for a more varied and ecletic bunch of songs this time around.

I wasn't expecting to see another album so soon after 'Hombre'. Whilst I do love 'hombre' I am hoping for a more varied and ecletic bunch of songs this time around.

Wow. I didn't realize E had it in him. Great news. While I was a bit disappointed in Hombre, it did have one of his best "songs", in That Look You Give That Guy.

Thanks for the info Bigideas & Frank.