• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got into this band way late, only at the Crane Wife album, then I backtracked and got the others and I totally fell for their literate, shiny pop. I have not heard the new one yet but if, like Solace said, it is a continuation of the style of the last album I know it will get a lot of airplay around mi casa.

Wow, I mean...wtf. I lost interest like two sentences in but kept on reading anyway...Still don't have a clue what's happening though.

It's a pretty ridiculous story that strives to be of Lord of the Rings caliber. It does come up a little short, but its really interesting and well done. I do have a couple questions that maybe someone could help me out with. First of all, I'm sort of unsure about the beginning of the story. It's clear that William pretends to be a fawn in the forest to lure Margaret, whom he fell in love with, and when she finds him, he becomes a human. Then I'm a little unsure.. does he rape her or does she fall in love immediately when he becomes a man. He clearly impregnates her, and by Hazard's of Love 2, they're clearly in love, but the beginning of their relationship is a little unclear.

Also, does the Queen order the Rake to steal Margaret? I thought he was just an evil man and stole her, and when the Queen finds out as he tries to cross the river, she decides to help him steal her to break her son's heart. The line of best fit article says otherwise, but I was never under the impression that The Rake and the Queen had any relationship prior to the crossing of the river.

All that pretentious plot stuff aside, I think the story has more humor that people see. Rake's Song is bittingly funny, Isn't It a Lovely Night is a classic take on love duets in musicals, and a lot of metal songs seem to be a little tongue in cheek in reference to classic metal, albeit, very convincingly done. Either way, great album

I got into this band way late, only at the Crane Wife album, then I backtracked and got the others and I totally fell for their literate, shiny pop. I have not heard the new one yet but if, like Solace said, it is a continuation of the style of the last album I know it will get a lot of airplay around mi casa.

Oh, and I've been describing this album as a 60 minute version of The Tain as opposed to a continuation of The Crane Wife. The heavier moments seem more inspired by Black Sabbath as opposed to Yes in the same way as The Tain, and The Crane Wife contains too many pop moments for me to see as much in common. Even the Crane Wife Pts 1, 2 & 3 are just simple (but beautiful) pop songs with an overlying story. It's quite a step away from the sludge of The Queen's Rebuke.

It's a pretty ridiculous story that strives to be of Lord of the Rings caliber. It does come up a little short, but its really interesting and well done. I do have a couple questions that maybe someone could help me out with. First of all, I'm sort of unsure about the beginning of the story. It's clear that William pretends to be a fawn in the forest to lure Margaret, whom he fell in love with, and when she finds him, he becomes a human. Then I'm a little unsure.. does he rape her or does she fall in love immediately when he becomes a man. He clearly impregnates her, and by Hazard's of Love 2, they're clearly in love, but the beginning of their relationship is a little unclear.

On whether or not Margaret is raped - seems to be different opinions on this one, it's not really clear.

Also, does the Queen order the Rake to steal Margaret? I thought he was just an evil man and stole her, and when the Queen finds out as he tries to cross the river, she decides to help him steal her to break her son's heart. The line of best fit article says otherwise, but I was never under the impression that The Rake and the Queen had any relationship prior to the crossing of the river.

My mistake, now that I go back and look at the lyrics, you are right, she just helps him across the river.

Oh, and I've been describing this album as a 60 minute version of The Tain as opposed to a continuation of The Crane Wife. The heavier moments seem more inspired by Black Sabbath as opposed to Yes in the same way as The Tain, and The Crane Wife contains too many pop moments for me to see as much in common. Even the Crane Wife Pts 1, 2 & 3 are just simple (but beautiful) pop songs with an overlying story. It's quite a step away from the sludge of The Queen's Rebuke.

it's aparrently inspired more by another 'Black' band, Black Mountain (who i realize are def very Sabbath influenced themselves)

All that pretentious plot stuff aside, I think the story has more humor that people see. Rake's Song is bittingly funny, Isn't It a Lovely Night is a classic take on love duets in musicals, and a lot of metal songs seem to be a little tongue in cheek in reference to classic metal, albeit, very convincingly done. Either way, great album

You had the same questions I had. I didn't even figure out the fawn/beast was William until a few listens. I think the queen got the rake to steal Margaret but not sure. Either way, I'm impressed at how much story he could squeeze into one album. Granted there are 17 songs but he tells a pretty full story. Some great sounding Hammond B3 on this album. Over all, this is one of my favorite albums of the year and I'm really enjoying the hell out of it. I like it better than the Crane wife to be honest and that is a great album. Pitchfork is way off base giving it a 5.7. They say it's "not exactly Andrew lloyd Webber" which I consider a good thing because I think the guy is a hack. I would love to see them do this live.

It's quite a step away from the sludge of The Queen's Rebuke.

Man, that is such a great song. I am only at my first listen of the album and I am loving the shit out of it. Story, I can take or leave but it is feckin' great.

it's aparrently inspired more by another 'Black' band, Black Mountain (who i realize are def very Sabbath influenced themselves)

You can clearly hear the influence of Black Mountain (awesome band) in The Queen's Rebuke. :worship

That's how I felt. It brought back in particular The Tain and The Island when I listed to the new one. Sadly, the other two tell their respective stories in a much more concise time frame and this album just feels like it's dragging on at points.

This is how I"m feeling - though I only streamed it once and haven't bought it yet.

The Tain seems to be the best of this type of music for them, and it was first, so everything else just doesn't seem to reach it.

I didn't dig Crane Wife as much as the prior ones so I haven't been too amped on this one. Then with no Best Buy, etc sales (in ads anyway) I didn't go out of my way to buy HoL.

I'm loving this album. It does take four or five listens through to really start to appreciate it, and many more to really love it. It is a total 'prog-fest', the likes of which I haven't heard for many years. There are bits of 'Yes', 'Jethro Tull' and 'Genesis' all through it. There are a couple of moments (the accoustic interlude and the kids singing) that reminds me of 'Supper's Ready' by 'Genesis'. It think the last twenty minutes or so are amazing but the start of the record is not as strong and may put off the casual listener. I can see reviewers putting it on and drawing an opinion based on the first few tracks, which are comparibly weak.

I not sure where it stands in relation there other efforts (I love Crane Wife personally; its proggy and catchy at the same time) but I don't think I've heard a better record this year (So far).

p.s. I'm looking forward to the Decemberists hopefully returning to the U.K some time this year. I saw them in Wolverhampton in 2007 and it was the show when Colin kept leaving the stage (I assumed he was sick) and the show finished really early. At one point he left the stage and left the band to improvise for about ten minutes. They even played 'You Are My Sunshine', which was surreal!! The day after the show they cancelled the rest of the U.K tour and I believe there were further cancellations back in the U.S.

I'm having an incredibly difficult time getting into this album. I've listened to it about 6 times, and I can't remember one singular song from the album. Not one.

Then again, I loved Piq and Crane, so take it with a grain of salt.

I'm having an incredibly difficult time getting into this album. I've listened to it about 6 times, and I can't remember one singular song from the album. Not one.

Then again, I loved Piq and Crane, so take it with a grain of salt.

'The wanting comes in waves' and 'The Rake Song' were the most immediate songs. 'Hazards IV' is also really beautiful. I do agree that the rest kind of merge into each other, but...it does grow on you.

I'm a big fan of The Decemberists earlier albums. Colin has always had a knack for storytelling. Unfortunately, that is where this album falls short. The concept overshadows the music and ultimately the story is not engaging enough to carry the album. There are some highlights and low lights.

The real story, however, is how much "Margaret in Captivity" rips off the 12 string guitar intro from Bon Jovi's "Wanted Dead or Alive." Listen to both songs then listen to this:

http://www.filedropper.com/margaretwanteddeadoralive

Uncanny, no?

OK, it's taking awhile, but I'm coming around to this. So far, Won't Want for Love, Hazards of Love 2, and The Wanting Comes In Waves are the standouts for me.

And while I don't care for Shara Worden, Becky Stark may have one of the prettiest voices I've heard in a long time.

And I'm assuming I'm hearing Jim James in the background on the Prelude, though I still can't tell for sure.

I LOVE The Crane Wife......especially the awesome and epic track #2 "The Island, Come and See...". And "Summersong" is a great pop song.

Does Hazards With Love sound in any way "The Island"? I'm thinking of picking this up, but the reviews sure do sound mixed.

Does Hazards With Love sound in any way "The Island"? I'm thinking of picking this up, but the reviews sure do sound mixed.

It sounds like the Island at times, but imagine The Island expanded to a full 50 minutes (and with more portions that seem to drag the piece down thrown in). My opinion of the album has improved slightly but every other Decemberists album is a full head and shoulders above this. I guarantee this is easily the most disappointing album of 2009 for me.

And while I don't care for Shara Worden, Becky Stark may have one of the prettiest voices I've heard in a long time.

you sure you're not mixing the two up?

i like both, but Shara's got much more of a powerful voice vs. Becky's kind of frail/timid one. Becky's vocals on 'Lovely Night' kinda bug me, but Shara's on 'The Wanting Comes In Waves Repaid' is just amazing... almost reminds me of Ann Wilson.

Shara has one of the most impressive female voices i've ever heard live honestly. first time i saw her was opening for Sufjan in 2004 and she blew me away.

Jim sings backup vocals on Prelude, Margaret In Captivity, Wanting (Reprise), & Hazards 4

you sure you're not mixing the two up?

i like both, but Shara's got much more of a powerful voice vs. Becky's kind of frail/timid one. Becky's vocals on 'Lovely Night' kinda bug me, but Shara's on 'The Wanting Comes In Waves Repaid' is just amazing... almost reminds me of Ann Wilson.

Shara has one of the most impressive female voices i've ever heard live honestly. first time i saw her was opening for Sufjan in 2004 and she blew me away.

Powerful voice yes. Pretty no. To me, Becky has a much more femine and melodic voice, which I prefer. When Shara sings on the Wanting, I think she's going to take the back of my head and smash into the ground.