Alright so I ran out to buy the new Decemberists album today. I know they are totally polarizing on these boards, but I wanted to see where the new one's ranking for you compared to previous albums.

For me, it's a complete and utter disappointment. Now, I'll admit when I heard the concept for it I was less than enthused and, unfortunately, I was not pleasantly surprised. I'd give all of their previous albums solid 7's out of 10 which, on my fairly harsh scale, is a damn good discography. This album is more of a 3 or 4 out of 10. Just upon the first couple of listens I'm not seeing much potential for growth like Her Majesty or Crane Wife did.

What are your feelings?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not exactly a huge Decemberists fan, but I really enjoyed The Hazards of Love on first listen today. I didn't sit and concentrate on the music or words, but it was certainly fun to listen to while using the computer.

I figure this weekend I'll sit down by the turntable to read along with the lyrics and get the full experience.

I am still unsure about this one - I just can't seem to get into. It seems like one of those records that you have to spend time with and I just haven't had that kind of time to give this record the tlc that it may or may not deserve... I didn't like the Crane Wife record save a few songs, so the bar is set low.

On first couple listens I hated it, but now I think it's great and ranks among their best albums (although I've never been able to pick a favorite). I picked up the albums today after listening to the leak for a while and followed it along with the lyric booklet. Needless to say, the story within is very cool and makes the last track all the more heartbreaking.

well... first off, they'll never touch Her Majesty or Castaways imo, and they've been on a slide ever since....

that said, i think this one works for me better as an all around album than the last 2, but it doesn't have nearly the singular highs of either of those records for me. solid 7/10 for me tho. there's 2-3 songs i don't like at all on the record tho too.

it's a bit of a continuation of the prog they picked up on parts of Crane Wife, but goes even further.

That's how I felt. It brought back in particular The Tain and The Island when I listed to the new one. Sadly, the other two tell their respective stories in a much more concise time frame and this album just feels like it's dragging on at points.

No opinion on the new album, not a huge fan of this band because of one main reason and that is Colin Meloy's over the top singing. (it just grates on me and I can't help that type of thing). However I read his book in the 33 1/3 series about the Replacements Let It Be and I enjoyed that read. Singing voice has always been the one thing in music I can't work around. It either feels ok to me or it doesn't and that type of voice just doesn't for me.

I have to say, I think this is their best record so far. There some songs on there that would not be out of place on a Black Keys album. I'm really liking it. One thing I noticed, he sure likes using the word "boughs" in songs.

I have to say, I think this is their best record so far. There some songs on there that would not be out of place on a Black Keys album. I'm really liking it. One thing I noticed, he sure likes using the word "boughs" in songs.

I don't know...there just isn't that hook that most Decemberists songs contain. If there ARE those hooks, they are so few and far between on this album to make it not worth listening. Don't get me wrong, I'm an "album first, singles second" kind of guy but there needs to be something that stands out and is worth putting on repeat. There's nothing here like that and the riffs that are repeated (at times ad nauseum) throughout the album aren't WORTH the repetition anyways.

I don't know...there just isn't that hook that most Decemberists songs contain. If there ARE those hooks, they are so few and far between on this album to make it not worth listening. Don't get me wrong, I'm an "album first, singles second" kind of guy but there needs to be something that stands out and is worth putting on repeat. There's nothing here like that and the riffs that are repeated (at times ad nauseum) throughout the album aren't WORTH the repetition anyways.

I hear what you are saying. There is just a certain consistency of mood and sound I am liking. And a cool story line as well. I like that Robyn Hitchcock plays on it and Jim James makes a very brief appearance too. I think there are some great melodies on here. When the dead children start singing it creeps me out.

Who knows, maybe the fact that I listened to the new Mastodon before this one made a difference!

What in the world is the "story" about? I have listened to it at least once or twice a day for the past couple of days and I be darned if I can't figure it out. Maybe I really need to focus on it instead of working whilst I listen...

the entire album drips with pretension. From "operatic" storyline to its miss used guitar work and jarring vocals. Colin Meloy has made this album because he Colin Meloy, and damnit he wants to be a pompous ass. I would feel better about the album if there was a tongue in cheek element. But I have the feeling that the band thinks this album is serious "art" and really it is not.

With that being said, I find myself singing parts of this album, it is damn catchy.

What in the world is the "story" about? I have listened to it at least once or twice a day for the past couple of days and I be darned if I can't figure it out. Maybe I really need to focus on it instead of working whilst I listen...

you're not alone there... it's not an easy one to follow

I downloaded the lyrics and listened closely. I'm not the brightest bulb but I did not think it was hard to follow the story line. I'm a sucker for a good concept album. Tommy, The Wall, 2112, american idiot, hell, I thought Operation Mindcrime was a heartbreaking work of staggering genius.