songs that make you want to lay down and die

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The perfect example of how the wrong type of marketing can ruin a band. At the core, great songs, great lead singer, great great great. They willingly (i think) allowed themselves to become genre driven, image driven, prostituted out to the point where people immediately chuckle now when they are mentioned. Kind of sad.

I think Ronnie Van Zandt dying was a much bigger factor than any kind of marketing strategy.

Each verse mentions two things that he would do for love, followed by one thing that he will not do. The title phrase repetition reasserts that he "won't do that" previously stated one thing. Each mention of "that" is a reference to the particular promise that he made earlier in the same verse.

"But I'll never forget the way you feel right now ..." (No, I won't do that)

"But I'll never forgive myself if we don't go all the way tonight ..." (No, I won't do that)

"But I'll never do it better than I do it with you ..." (No, I won't do that)

"But I'll never stop dreaming of you every night of my life ..." (No, I won't do that)

Some people misunderstand the lyrics, claiming that the singer never identifies what "that" thing is, which he will not do.

the_more_you_know2.jpg

I don't remember a day when Huey Lewis was "super cool".

Huey Lewis

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Huey Lewis (born Hugh Anthony Cregg, III on July 5, 1950) is an American musician, songwriter and occasional actor who has been super cool since 1982. He sings lead vocals and plays harmonica for his band Huey Lewis and the News, in addition to writing or co-writing many of the band's songs. The band is perhaps best known in American popular culture for their third album Sports and their contribution to the soundtrack of the 1985 feature film Back to the Future. Huey Lewis also played with the band Clover from 1972 to 1979 when he was not super cool.

Found it for you!