Now Playing: April, 2009

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that the male version of:

41WK1U4cyML._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Yeah, really :).

Arthur died in 1992 so he gets the edge in the who did the image first game.

Nice. I'm not familiar with Arthur Russell. Is this a good place to start? How would you describe his music/sound?

I just found out about him very recently; what a talented musician and songwriter. Not sure how this guy remained under my radar for so long.

This record is definitely a good place to start. The album compiles music recorded between 1974-1990. Stylistically it ventures into various genres: folk/country/rock/pop. I grabbed 2 other records of his, "World of Echo" and "The Sleeping Bag Sessions" that I've yet to listen to. From all accounts, those 2 are supposed to be pretty great too.

Nice. I'm not familiar with Arthur Russell. Is this a good place to start? How would you describe his music/sound?

Yes, start with that for sure. It's a pretty brilliant compilation actually, but it's not the type of music he was known for in his lifetime - it's quite country orientated, when in actual fact he was one of the pioneers of the disco era, and also did some weird stuff with cellos! :stunned Very good, also, but I'm not sure if it'd be your thing.

Check this song out - the best from the comp, in my view:

I just found out about him very recently; what a talented musician and songwriter. Not sure how this guy remained under my radar for so long.

This record is definitely a good place to start. The album compiles music recorded between 1974-1990. Stylistically it ventures into various genres: folk/country/rock/pop. I grabbed 2 other records of his, "World of Echo" and "The Sleeping Bag Sessions" that I've yet to listen to. From all accounts, those 2 are supposed to be pretty great too.

They are, but you'll be very surprised by what they sound like, after listening to that compilation. He's a great musician, shame he died so young, of aids - but then being a 'disco pioneer' it's not so surprising.

They are, but you'll be very surprised by what they sound like, after listening to that compilation. He's a great musician, shame he died so young, of aids - but then being a 'disco pioneer' it's not so surprising.

I've read about his varied and eclectic musical career, so I know that these ones will be quite different. I like a lot of different genres so I'm quite looking forward to hearing them. I also have a documentary here called "Wild Combination: A Portrait Of Arthur Russell" that I'm looking forward to checking out in the next day or two.

Arthur%20Russell_World%20Of%20Echo.jpg

Arthur Russell - World of Echo

what do you think? that's actually my personal favourite of his. i think it's only one of maybe 2 albums that were released properly as albums in his lifetime. oh, and i need to see that dvd too - it's looks good.

I really dug it. I like the sparseness of the arrangements, the atmosphere he creates with voice and cello, and I like the songwriting. This will be getting some more spins for sure.

NP:

51MVHCWVR5L._SL500_AA240_.jpg