• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which comment? The one I made in passing? I guess that was provocative.

Ok, so he's not a clear improvement over ortiz. I'm sorry, I didn't realize that ortiz was amazing in june and ok in July. Like I said, it was merely a move for depth, and the red sox can afford to make moves for depth.

I'm sorry for discussing the red sox, caliber. I'll stop scrambling now.

No!

You're supposed to be angry by my provocative red sox bashing!

This was all for naught...

I like discussing baseball, people here like discussing the red sox (for many, almost exclusively), so I brought the red sox up. If you think I do it just to make you angry, that's cool. I guess if that's how you take it then that's how it is.

Bobbo, discussing the Red Sox is fine. Suggesting that LaRoche is clearly a better option at DH than David Ortiz is a bit of a stretch and struck me as you going out of your way (as you sometimes do) to post negatively about the Red Sox.

Honestly, more than anything I think it was a move to get something (anything) of value for Lugo, who didn't have a place on the Red Sox anymore.

they didn't trade Lugo for laroche.

They traded hunter strickland, a young, 18 round 2007 pick who is a control master who projects to be back of the rotation guy and argenis Diaz an elite defensive ss who doesn't do much with the stick.

Bobbo, discussing the Red Sox is fine. Suggesting that LaRoche is clearly a better option at DH than David Ortiz is a bit of a stretch and struck me as you going out of your way (as you sometimes do) to post negatively about the Red Sox.

I would say laroche, Lowell, and youk Is the best option for them.

Also, mark buerhle is a pitcher for the white sox. Some people like watching him pitch. If you can, do it now.

Is that to me or mark beurhle, who just threw the second no hitter of his career.

On beurhle, it is impressive that a guy who pitches so much to contact has now gotten two no hitters. It'd be interesting to go through and see whether guys like him or strikeout pitchers are more likely to throw no hitters, since beurhle's succes is so subject to the defense behind him.

Guest Jules

Game won on a grand slam too. What did a little kid write the script for this game?

Cheers to White Sox fans.

How long was the game? An hour?

2:03

Is that to me or mark beurhle, who just threw the second no hitter of his career.

On beurhle, it is impressive that a guy who pitches so much to contact has now gotten two no hitters. It'd be interesting to go through and see whether guys like him or strikeout pitchers are more likely to throw no hitters, since beurhle's succes is so subject to the defense behind him.

That was for Buehrle. Nice perfect game.

Dunno what more to say about the Ortiz/LaRoche thing. Considering Ortiz had one home run and 18 RBI through May and now has 12/51, vs. LaRoche who has been pretty consistent all year and has 12/40. OPS is comparable (again, Ortiz is way ahead if you discount the start of the season). LaRoche is 8-58 in July. Why is it that LaRoche is a better option than Ortiz? Is it the two stolen bases?

Guest Jules

That would be interesting.

Apparently (according to Hawk and Stone), the Wise play was the only tough play of the whole game. He had just come in the game that inning as a defensive replacement.

Beuhrle threw 11 groundouts, 10 flyouts and 6 Ks. 116 pitches, 76 strikes. Actually a lot of pitches when you only face 27 batters.

That was for Buehrle. Nice perfect game.

Dunno what more to say about the Ortiz/LaRoche thing. Considering Ortiz had one home run and 18 RBI through May and now has 12/51, vs. LaRoche who has been pretty consistent all year and has 12/40. OPS is comparable (again, Ortiz is way ahead if you discount the start of the season). LaRoche is 8-58 in July. Why is it that LaRoche is a better option than Ortiz? Is it the two stolen bases?

Because ortiz really only had one good month, and just doesn't look like an everyday player any more.

One guy is 35 and has one month with an on base percentage above .300. I think laroche is a better bet to be more productive.

It's not really thy big of a deal, both could go off or bust, but ortiz has a greater chance to flameout, due to his age.

That would be interesting.

Apparently (according to Hawk and Stone), the Wise play was the only tough play of the whole game. He had just come in the game that inning as a defensive replacement.

Beuhrle threw 11 groundouts, 10 flyouts and 6 Ks. 116 pitches, 76 strikes. Actually a lot of pitches when you only face 27 batters.

I suppose the fact that Nolan Ryan and sandy Koufax have thrown the two most probably does a little to answer the question.

Because ortiz really only had one good month, and just doesn't look like an everyday player any more.

One guy is 35 and has one month with an on base percentage above .300. I think laroche is a better bet to be more productive.

It's not really thy big of a deal, both could go off or bust, but ortiz has a greater chance to flameout, due to his age.

You know, all you had to say is that you don't like black people.

True story.

On a related note, a guy on the marlins board thinks we need to get rid of jorge cantu and get more american players. 5/8 of our everday lineup is American, and 13/25 of our roster are.

But he did say 'i don't want to offend anybody, but' so it's ok, I guess.