• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Twins blew a huge lead, but the home plate ump blew and incredibly important home plate call last night. Not happy! :angry

What a crazy game! Cuddyer was clearly safe, but as an A's fan I'll take what I can get these days.

He's a tough case.

I say yes. He had the peak and the longevity, even if his traditional numbers (HR and H) aren't quite up to snuff. He was just a flat out great hitter.

A plus for him is that he helped secure Seattle as a legitimate major league franchise, removing doubt as to whether a franchise could work out in the Pacific Northwest. While the big names got the national attention, Edgar was the clutch hitter that solidified the lineup. He also was and still is a solid citizen and ambassasor for the Mariners. PLaying for only one franchise should help, voters seem to like that. Defensively he wasn't bad at third, but early in his career he really fucked up his leg. His bat was too important to risk losing, therefore he was regulated to DH. He could have played first on a regular basis, but management kept giving him a field postion a non-issue by always having a solid first sacker. Edgar Martinez probably will make it to the HOF, but he'll most likely get the Sutter/Gossage/Rice treatment by having to wait for it.

Anytime I think about discontinuing the DH, I think about Edgar, Big Papi, Molitor and Baylor. We'd miss out on some great offensive years because of injuries or defensive liabilities. I like the split in the league philosophy - at least there are 14 spots where veterans and the seriously injured can go to continue their careers. I do wish they'd drop the pitchers hitting in the All Star Game, seems to be pointless.

On the one hand, the DH does suck and it is anti-traditional (although at this point, bashing the dh has become a tradition in and of itself) and changes the game a lot and most teams misuse it anyways(average ops of a DH is lower than for a 1b, which makes no sense).

But, I do like that you get two very different leagues because of it. It makes interleague and world series matchup more interesting because you have scenarios where a teams

three best hitters are all logjammed at first and third like the sox have the last few years. I like seeing what teams do to get their bats In the lineup and it really can test a managers creativity.

I think the DH at least partially explains te Al's dominance over the NL. AL teams have more good hitters because they have to fill more offensive spots. They in turn have better defense because they get to put a defensive liability at DH and potentially replace him with a great fielder. They then have to stock up on pitching to balance it out.

Edgar Martinez......great hitter,lousy runner......

-Robert

Edgar had serious leg injuries early in his career. I know he ripped the pure hell out his hamstring in a Spring Training exhibition game against some university. The game was on the school's field and not up to pro standards. If I remember right, his cleat caught hard while running the bases. He missed a chunk of the year and basically never played the field again. I believe he also had a knee injury later on. He was never fast to begin with, but these injuries left him a shade faster than Rusty Staub.

The Cardinals traded Chris Duncan to the Sox for Julio Lugo and are trying Troy Glaus out in left field during his rehab. Perhaps the Cards' GM should spend his time trying to trade up rather than hanging out in East St. Louis smoking crack.

Lugo and Duncan have been essentially the same player over the last two years in terms of ops, and at least lugo gets on base. Kind of a lateral move.

Red sox picked up Adam la Roche, which could be a good move, but he's only really represents an improvement on ortiz. Are the really going to sit ortiz?

I find it absolutely amazing how my Rangers OWN the RedSox this year.

A lot of the time, yes.

i guess it makes sense. The only person he is a clear upgrade over when healthy is ortiz, so if Lowell is healthy, they would do well to keep him, laroche and youk in the lineup.

If you look at the entire season, he is a "clear" upgrade over Ortiz, but is he if you don't count the first two months of the season? Despite the woeful start to the season, and eight fewer at bats, Ortiz has eleven (more than 20%) more RBI than LaRoche.

He seems to be a clear upgrade over Mark Kotsay at first. He is a clearly better option than Jed Lowrie and essentially the same as Nick Green at the plate (but with better power numbers).

Ortiz plays in a far better lineup than laroche, so that explains the RBI discrepancy.

Ortiz has an .840 ops over the last month, which is ok, but not great.

I guess it adds depth, and the red sox can afford to just add depth.

It could be a possible platoon situation for Lowell & Ortiz. Youk plays everyday and Lowell DH's against lefties while Ortiz sits. Papi & LaRoche hit the righties. Youk just shifts back and forth between 1st & 3rd. Lowell's not quite over his hip surgery. He might get DL'ed or either Kotsay or Baldelli get cut. Duncan's in AAA, so cutting Kotsay is less of a risk, because they both hit left.

Lugo has offensive positives. As a SS, he's shit. LF may now be the best position for him.

I usually don't like using first and second half splits, but it should be noted that laroche has been better, and often far better in the second half of the season. 4 out of 5 seasons.