• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jules

Anyone else notice that Pujols doesn't even make it into the first round "swing off" if that guy doesn't reach over the wall and catch that one? It definitely wasn't going out.

Also, thank God Berman has laid off the cheese a little bit during these things (emphasis on a "little bit").

Anyone else notice that Pujols doesn't even make it into the first round "swing off" if that guy doesn't reach over the wall and catch that one? It definitely wasn't going out.

Also, thank God Berman has laid off the cheese a little bit during these things (emphasis on a "little bit").

I watched Alberts first round and thought that the anouncers emphasized the distance of his homers way too much. To my eyes these things were generally falling six - 10 rows back, and of course one was caught annd pulled over the wall.

Guest Jules

Comment on game last night:

What was Upton doing on Granderson's triple? The ball should have been caught, but he didn't have a clue. Good thing the announcers said nothing about it.

Comment on game last night:

What was Upton doing on Granderson's triple? The ball should have been caught, but he didn't have a clue. Good thing the announcers said nothing about it.

Good question. Some article I read earlier (that I'm too lazy to go back to cite) defended Upton, saying that LF isn't his usual position, but I'm not convinced... Maybe he's not used to the wall going back further on his right side? Either way - a pro baller (and an all-star at that) should be able to catch a fly ball regardless of where he's positioned in the outfield. He played it poorly - took the wrong angle and then it was behind him. Perhaps he wasn't used to the type of spin/curve/trajectory the ball takes when hit by a left handed batter to that side of the field?

Probably the stupidest decision any major sport has ever made. Ever.

Absofuckinglutely.

Not saying it's the same thing, but imagine the Super Bowl winner decided by the opening coin toss. It's about as stupid as that.

The All-Star game lost most of its juice (for me) when interleage play started. I understand why baseball did what it did, but it's stupid and it doesn't fix the problem. At all.

It's better than alternating it every year.

Also upton's a pretty crap fielder. From what I've seen he just can't get a good read on the ball off the bat.

At one point, the AL had Crawford, granderson, and Adam jones in the outfield. fastest outfield ever?

But it's not better than giving home field advantage to the team with the better regular season record.

Yeah exactly. Who said that alternating every year was the only solution?

Although the argument against better regular season records, of course, is that teams play different schedules.

Yeah exactly. Who said that alternating every year was the only solution?

Although the argument against better regular season records, of course, is that teams play different schedules.

Interleague play mitigates that, a little bit... Still, the 2-3-2 schedule sucks! Go 2-2-1-1-1!

Since 2003 (inception year for awarding home-field to the ASG winning league) the AL has won the ASG each year yet split with the NL in WS wins....

I'm not suggesting this makes it a fair or balanced practice, just that home-field advantage is a bit over-played. I think awarding the team with the better record (of course schedules are different) is a lot fairer than basing it on one amalgamation game.

I think home field advantage should go to the league with the fewest total days of suspension due to performance-enhancing drugs.

Now we're talkin'! Coin toss for ties, too.