I think home field advantage should go to the league with the fewest total days of suspension due to performance-enhancing drugs.

Yeah, but what happens if, for example, Pujols gets traded mid-season to the Mariners, but is suspended for using PEDs during his time with St. Louis (say there's a lag between test results and notification/suspension)?

Which league does the suspension count against?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, but what happens if, for example, Pujols gets traded mid-season to the Mariners, but is suspended for using PEDs during his time with St. Louis (say there's a lag between test results and notification/suspension)?

Mariners take the hit on that one....

The league of the team he was playing for when he tested positive.

edit: but perhaps you're taking my suggestion more seriously than intended.

But it's not better than giving home field advantage to the team with the better regular season record.

I think almost every option is arbitrary. If there is a good team that plays in a terrible division in the NL West, say, they're record is going to be better than a great team in a good division. I mean, obviously, you deserve it for beating the teams you are supposed to, but still.

I don't have a problem with it either way. It's dumb anyway they decide. We're just arguing different levels of dumb.

It doesn't really make a difference that much anyways, but still.

Probably the stupidest decision any major sport has ever made. Ever.

The All Star game is teh Mid Summer classic, it used to be a game where players played hard and tried to win, for pride, for whatever, it was a fun game to watch. In the 90's it was not that. Guys tried half assed players left early and more importantly no one watched the game. Now for a lack of a better phrase "This One Counts." The players have a vested interest the mangers have a vested interest and fans have a vested interest. It means something again. Would I like a better way of determining Home Field advantage, yes, but at the expense of the All Star Game no. The ASG has become something of interest once again, and I would hate it to turn in to the pro bowl. Cause that game is a waste of 3 hours and terrible to watch. The ASG was headed down that road, now it is something more.

I think almost every option is arbitrary. If there is a good team that plays in a terrible division in the NL West, say, they're record is going to be better than a great team in a good division. I mean, obviously, you deserve it for beating the teams you are supposed to, but still.

I don't have a problem with it either way. It's dumb anyway they decide. We're just arguing different levels of dumb.

It doesn't really make a difference that much anyways, but still.

At least giving home field advantage to the team with the better record has something to do with the teams that are playing in the series.

The All Star game is teh Mid Summer classic, it used to be a game where players played hard and tried to win, for pride, for whatever, it was a fun game to watch. In the 90's it was not that. Guys tried half assed players left early and more importantly no one watched the game. Now for a lack of a better phrase "This One Counts." The players have a vested interest the mangers have a vested interest and fans have a vested interest. It means something again. Would I like a better way of determining Home Field advantage, yes, but at the expense of the All Star Game no. The ASG has become something of interest once again, and I would hate it to turn in to the pro bowl. Cause that game is a waste of 3 hours and terrible to watch. The ASG was headed down that road, now it is something more.

There is no reason to make the All Star Game anything more than it is, which is an exhibition.

Comment on game last night:

What was Upton doing on Granderson's triple? The ball should have been caught, but he didn't have a clue. Good thing the announcers said nothing about it.

I wanted to watch the ASG, then I remembered Buck & McCarver call for Fox. I can't stand more than an inning of them, especially McCarver and his constant "Mmm...mmm."

As far as home feild advantage for the post-season, Billy Ripken has the idea that the league with the best inter-league record should determine home field advantage (to give inter-league some other purpose other than $$$). His Golden Boy brother Cal seconded the idea, therefore credit for the idea transfers to Cal automatically.

The All Star game is teh Mid Summer classic, it used to be a game where players played hard and tried to win, for pride, for whatever, it was a fun game to watch. In the 90's it was not that. Guys tried half assed players left early and more importantly no one watched the game.

Is it no coincidence that the NL dominated while Pete Rose was an All Star and ever since the end of his hey day the AL has dominated? Despite being an asshole, Pete Rose was the ultimate competitor on the field. There is probably nobody in sports today coming close to having that kind of pride in performance and winning.

That being said, the commissioner is once again reviewing his application for reinstatement. I wouldn't mind him getting a spot in the HOF as a player, but I'd rather not have him back on or near the field again.

Is it no coincidence that the NL dominated while Pete Rose was an All Star and ever since the end of his hey day the AL has dominated? Despite being an asshole, Pete Rose was the ultimate competitor on the field. There is probably nobody in sports today coming close to having that kind of pride in performance and winning.

That being said, the commissioner is once again reviewing his application for reinstatement. I wouldn't mind him getting a spot in the HOF as a player, but I'd rather not have him back on or near the field again.

Well, he was just one guy, so I'm going to guess it was kind of a coincidence.

The NL Dominated in the 1950's also. Screw rose, he knew the rules, thought they didn't apply to him and still wants to live above them.

Gaylord Perry knew the rules too. He's all up in the hall of fame.

I just don't like the idea of denying one guy the hall of fame because the rule he broke is 'worse' than the ones countless others have broken throughout baseball's history.

There is no reason to make the All Star Game anything more than it is, which is an exhibition.

So let's play the game in November in Vegas. Let's have guys be selected and not play because they are "hurt." Let's have guys play half assed, and leave when they are taken out of the game, so in the 9th inning the only guy left is the poor bull pen pitcher that still hasn't made in the game. Let' s have no one watch. Let's make it the pro bowl. Cause that what you are saying. The game has to mean something, otherwise why play? The gold gloves and sliver sluggers awards should be enough.

You're describing the arc of Major League Baseball, not just the All-Star Game. Baseball, for a number of reasons, got more interesting as the century turned. The decision to make the ASG 'count' was reactionary and short-sighted and it needs to be reversed.

So let's play the game in November in Vegas. Let's have guys be selected and not play because they are "hurt." Let's have guys play half assed, and leave when they are taken out of the game, so in the 9th inning the only guy left is the poor bull pen pitcher that still hasn't made in the game. Let' s have no one watch. Let's make it the pro bowl. Cause that what you are saying.

Calm down.

The game has to mean something

No, it doesn't. It's a game for the best players in the league to exhibit their skills for the pleasure of the audience. It doesn't need to have any contrived larger purpose.

Also, Pedro's a Phillie. Boo.

The Phillies announced Wednesday at Citizens Bank Park they had signed the 37-year-old right-hander to a one-year contract worth $1 million, plus roughly $1.5 million in incentives.

"I bring with me a legacy," Martinez said. "I bring with me my last name. I bring my face. I bring everything I have, my integrity, to this team. ... I'm not going to say anything. I'm just here to prove it."

The Phillies placed Martinez on the 15-day disabled list with what they called a mild strain in his right shoulder.

I just don't like the idea of denying one guy the hall of fame because the rule he broke is 'worse' than the ones countless others have broken throughout baseball's history.

Well, that's the reason. The rule he broke is worse than the "rule" Perry broke. It's that simple. Not to mention the fact that Rose accepted a lifetime ban. Agreed to it. Signed on the dotted line and all. The man deserves everything that he's got.

As far as home feild advantage for the post-season, Billy Ripken has the idea that the league with the best inter-league record should determine home field advantage (to give inter-league some other purpose other than $$). His Golden Boy brother Cal seconded the idea, therefore credit for the idea transfers to Cal automatically.

If it's inter-league play the AL will still have the edge, though. At least with recent past considered.

Well, that's the reason. The rule he broke is worse than the "rule" Perry broke. It's that simple. Not to mention the fact that Rose accepted a lifetime ban. Agreed to it. Signed on the dotted line and all. The man deserves everything that he's got.

Some rules are bigger than others. Since the 1919 scandal all players have known the consequences of betting on baseball, their team or not. Sure some guys may have gotten away with it (Cobb comes to mind) but permanently being banned is the known punishment. Rose is a double douchebag because for years he insisted that he was railroaded, then he only bet on other teams, then, well, even in his apology years after the fact he was less than apologetic. Regardless though, apology or not the punishmment is being banned for life because gambling almost brought the sport to it's knees. Some things, like spit balls, or corking bats have not tarnished the game like 1919 did. Steroids could come close. Edit: Also spit balls were legal within the game for quite some time.

The thing with roids is that they have been fantastic financially for the game, but certainly have sullied the games image. If the roids started coosting the owners $$ I could easily see a pretty severe punishment involving lifetime punishments. The hall voters are for the moment keeping the roid users out, but give them time.