Jeff Tweedy The Post Punk, Rock and Roll Troubadour

So this is a response of sorts to the should wilco calll it quits thread.

The one thing I found intresting was how diffrent I view Wilco's and more importantly Jeff Tweedys currrent status in the face of his past.

Let me explain.

Wilco is not on the outs after 2 quick masterpieces and 6 short albums(of course I would say 6 quick masterpieces)

Instead Jeff Tweedy is on the brink of his fourth phase and Wilcos third

Take a look

PHASE ONE

No Depression (June 21, 1990)

Still Feel Gone (September 17, 1991)

March 16-20, 1992 (August 3, 1992)

Anodyne (October 5, 1993)

PHASE TWO

March 28, 1995 A.M.

October 29, 1996 Being There

June 23, 1998 Mermaid Avenue

March 9, 1999 Summerteeth

May 30, 2000 Mermaid Avenue Vol. II (with Billy Bragg

PHASE THREE

April 23, 2002 Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

June 22, 2004 A Ghost Is Born

November 15, 2005 Kicking Television: Live in Chicago

May 15, 2007 Sky Blue Sky

Including :January 28, 2003 Loose Fur CD, vinyl

March 21, 2006 Born Again in the USA CD,

Al;though it could be argued that Sky Blue Sky was the transition album into a new phase for Tweedy I imagine that this upcoming release will cement that, fact.

So call it quits at the tender age of 40, just when things are blooming again hmmmm .... I could be wrong but I dont see it happening

This is also relatable to Sonic Youth in the mid to late 90S while in their self proclaimed second phase , ppl were telling them to call it quits then they made Murrray Street

and have you heard Rather Ripped staright up classic

NEVERMIND Dylan ... geeesh what a wealth of genius Tweedy keep on writing and if you feel like singing a song well... no oine needs to tell you that

I like the phases concept, though I'd bump AM up to Phase 1 (in which Doris gets her oats).

Yeah I can see that but the whole concept of A.M is like the new day , all the breakup songs, lost love , drunk driving

It seems like the begining of something more than the end and Anodyne is certainly an album about the end even if only in my head

Murray Street only proves that Jim O'Rourke improves everything.

Fair, but allot of people hattted NYC ghost and flowers

Al;though it could be argued that Sky Blue Sky was the transition album into a new phase for Tweedy I imagine that this upcoming release will cement that, fact.

I like this concept as well, and I think this is how I view their "evolution" also. SBS is the harbinger of a new sound that, for better or worse, we may be hearing for a while.

This is a decent concept. I would agree that A.M. should be in the first phase. I suspect that SBS is the beginning of this one now, but we have to hear the new record. Nice work.

Fair, but allot of people hattted NYC ghost and flowers

Might be the worst Sonic Youth record. But it's sandwiched between two of the best.

I think anyone who has put in years doing anything creative (writing, painting, songwriting, whatever) can tell you you never know. Genius, or mediocrity are always around the corner. People's predictions of these forecasted trends in someones creative abilities have no bearing on my experience of reality. Long career artists have shown how often the quality control can sink, and then skyrocket (the Boss, Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen, even the Beatles).

I like the phases concept, though I'd bump AM up to Phase 1 (in which Doris gets her oats).

:lol Nah, I can see it in a separate phase. Musically/stylistically it is phase 1, but it's Tweedy without a net. Big upheaval.

I would venture that YHF almost is a phase in and of itself, sharing some aspects of the preceding and succeeding phases, but the aspects of the album's creation, the lineup, the band's place within the industry is self-contained.

But, agreed, this is an interesting way of looking at it.

... as opposed to looking at it like this :stunned

Might be the worst Sonic Youth record. But it's sandwiched between two of the best.

Nah, it's easily SY's most underrated record and a huge step forward after the aimlessly meandering A thousand leaves. Everyone who thinks NYC ghosts & flowers sucks is Pitchforks bitch.

Though I have to admit Murray Street & Sonic Nurse easily rank among their all time best material. I guess O'rourke does make things better.

:lol Nah, I can see it in a separate phase. Musically/stylistically it is phase 1, but it's Tweedy without a net. Big upheaval.

+1. Have you even walked behind someone on the street who was going slower than you liked yet you couldn't manage to get around? So you have to try to put your right foot forward when they do, trying to match their every footstep? This is kind of how I see Jeff's role in UT, and with AM he was walking shoulder to shoulder with Son Volt's Trace, but set to pass up Jay.

I would venture that YHF almost is a phase in and of itself, sharing some aspects of the preceding and succeeding phases

+1 again:

but then again you could say that about each of the records. why not make each separate record a separate phase?